Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 03:26 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
The point was, you're not even thinking about "should", at all when you essentially say "Oh well, that's how it is!" Sadly, this view does seem representative of employers nationwide, which is why people are complaining about it. I think the people who've replied on this thread have given their reasons why they think restaurants and retail stores should close on Thanksgiving, or why employees should have the option rather than obligation to work on that specific holiday. And frankly, I don't think those defending the employer in this case are giving very good arguments. How, exactly, would it hurt a company in any meaningful way to leave the question of open or closed up to the employees that one day of the year? They can make money any day, but typically, families (particularly when extended family is included) have one shot to all be together for Thanksgiving dinner, and that's on Thanksgiving Day. It's not like we can reasonably expect them and every employed member of their family to luck out on getting the same day off.
Really? Let the employees decide? Sure, when they run the company or create their own. Can the company make money any other day of the year? Sure. Can the employer then also pay their employees any other day? Yes.

Families can't decide to be together on a different day? Says who? It isn't convenient? Employment is not the convenience of the employee.

Families can't be together on a different holiday? That is really strange. Families all over manage to get together for reunions, birthdays and so on but for some reason can't do it on any other day than Thanksgiving?

If anyone wants to be in charge of deciding what day they have off, the solution is available to them. Run the company and then decide how you want things.

If your family has "one shot" at being together, then there is something wrong. The employer is not responsible for your family getting together.

Why is it that no one seems to be concerned with any of the other people working on Thanksgiving but cry like babies about this case?

How many of you are hypocrites and visited a website or checked your email on Thanksgiving? You think everything runs by itself? Did you maybe get some gas for your car? Did you turn on the lights? Think all that is magic and no one worked to provide those services?

Lots of hypocrites here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 06:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Really? Let the employees decide? Sure, when they run the company or create their own.
This is the attitude of an employer who's out of touch with his/her employees, and doesn't mind showing it, even over the holidays.

Quote:
Can the company make money any other day of the year? Sure. Can the employer then also pay their employees any other day? Yes.

Families can't decide to be together on a different day? Says who? It isn't convenient? Employment is not the convenience of the employee.
What do you mean, "Says who"? I already told you; it's almost impossible to get extended family members' days off to sync up with yours. That's why people want Thanksgiving Day off in the first place. It makes it easy for everyone (whose jobs are not necessary for public safety and the like) to have the same day off year after year. No syncing up miracles to pray for, just the holiday where everyone can actually spend time together.

Quote:
Families can't be together on a different holiday? That is really strange. Families all over manage to get together for reunions, birthdays and so on but for some reason can't do it on any other day than Thanksgiving?
And a lot of people have to miss those reunions, birthdays and so on specifically because they have to work. No, several members of extended family cannot reasonably expect to all come together on the same day except on Thanksgiving and Christmas. And you're living in another world if you think different.

Quote:
The employer is not responsible for your family getting together.
True enough. That's why there is no federal or state law governing this stuff, and I'm fine with that. But increasingly, businesses can expect bad publicity and high employee turnover if not worse for taking an "It's all about the money" approach as time goes by. And they do deserve it, whether it's a matter of poor management of their business or just not caring.

Quote:
How many of you are hypocrites and visited a website or checked your email on Thanksgiving? You think everything runs by itself? Did you maybe get some gas for your car? Did you turn on the lights? Think all that is magic and no one worked to provide those services?

Lots of hypocrites here.
None of that necessarily makes someone a hypocrite for saying Pizza Hut should shut down on Thanksgiving.

1. I'm thinking most people who operate or moderate even very well-known websites were either off or working from home so they too could enjoy Thanksgiving with their families. But even if I'm 100% wrong and this just doesn't happen anywhere, it would not bother me the slightest if the entire internet shut down on Thanksgiving Day. Just like fast food, my emails can wait.

2. Convenience stores/gas stations could also be hiring temps for the holidays, if their employees would rather not work on Thanksgiving or Christmas. It's not really that complicated and there's always someone who's willing to do it. I once took a temp job at Big Lots specifically because some of the workers wanted Christmas Eve off. And guess what? Company's still going strong!

3. Turning on the lights? So when I flip a switch, it sends a signal to some guy on a giant hamster wheel who then proceeds to run so my light will come on? Ehh, maybe you mean to refer to people who are on standby in case there is a problem with someone's electricity? That would actually fit under safety, considering how cold it can get and no one should be without heat in the fall/winter. I seriously doubt you'd find anyone on my side of the argument wanting to put people through that.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I guess I just don't think what this guy did was all that amazing, nor do I feel bad for him. for all of you that are praising him, would you feel the same others took the same stand? what about the workers in the airport should have the day off too. I mean, I am sure those pilots, flight attendants, baggage handlers, desk clerks, bell hops, and not to mention hotels, and their employees, and lets add in there gas station workers. let them all have the day off too.

This. It wasn't his call to make, he basically violated his own job principles and didn't deserve to be hired back. If he wasn't happy with the policy, he could have simply resigned, way too many people applauding someone for not living up to their obligations and being irresponsible. Regardless of how you feel about about the situation, and I think its ridiculous for some of these businesses to be open on Thanksgiving, this guy basically welched on his job duties which he had agreed to fulfill.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

When you take a job in retail or the service industry, you work when others do not, otherwise who will be there to pay for those goods and services?

You work in retail? Expect to work holidays, weekends, evenings and so on. That is the way it is. There are other choices.

My girlfriend works as a chef at a high-end restaurant, they're open pretty much every holiday and she has to work pretty much every holiday. We've already accepted that and made peace with it. You work around it as best as you can but its genuinely unrealistic for people to expect that they are simply entitled to not work when they don't want to.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
or things that CAN be changed,, people getting tired of being dogged out for little pay

Then start your own business, set your own hours and have it your way. Don't take a job, accept the terms and then cry about it after the fact knowing that you could work anytime. Generally people gloss over those questions during interviews about being able to work weekends AND Holidays, its just reality, nobody is forced to work Holiday's because nobody is forced to work at all, there's nobody holding a gun to your head and forcing you to stay. If you don't like it, quit.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
This. It wasn't his call to make, he basically violated his own job principles and didn't deserve to be hired back. If he wasn't happy with the policy, he could have simply resigned, way too many people applauding someone for not living up to their obligations and being irresponsible. Regardless of how you feel about about the situation, and I think its ridiculous for some of these businesses to be open on Thanksgiving, this guy basically welched on his job duties which he had agreed to fulfill.
This for me as well which is why I brought up those who praised this man for what he did yet who think nothing of all those like my sports writer brother-in-law and the staff and crew who have to work on Thanksgiving behind the scenes to bring some of these same people crying about the sales people or restaurant workers who are watching the games on Thanksgiving. Why don't these folks boycott the televised games to support those folks? By the way, these workers don't complain because they know it goes along with the job.

It's a matter of picking and choosing what suits your needs and comforts. It would be nice if every single person who wanted to could stay home on any given holiday. But it is completely an hypocrisy for some to say no one should work on non-essential jobs on any holiday and then support the events that function as the result of others working on them whether it's a restaurant, store or sports event.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This for me as well which is why I brought up those who praised this man for what he did yet who think nothing of all those like my sports writer brother-in-law and the staff and crew who have to work on Thanksgiving behind the scenes to bring some of these same people crying about the sales people or restaurant workers who are watching the games on Thanksgiving.
Who says they think nothing of it? For all you know, the same people saying people should have Thanksgiving off to spend quality time with their families, would also be 100% in favor of any motions to ensure that it is in fact quality time spent with family and not just a bunch of relatives staring at the TV. As of yet, we don't know anyone here who would object to letting those people off for Thanksgiving too. Do we?

Quote:
Why don't these folks boycott the televised games to support those folks?
What folks? Who's boycotting Pizza Hut? I think your question should be directed at them specifically. As for the majority of us, I'm sure posting on the forum is what our passion for the topic calls for.

Quote:
By the way, these workers don't complain because they know it goes along with the job...
Ah, but does working on Thanksgiving really truly "go with the job" of making pizzas? It would seem corporate doesn't think so.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Who says they think nothing of it? For all you know, the same people saying people should have Thanksgiving off to spend quality time with their families, would also be 100% in favor of any motions to ensure that it is in fact quality time spent with family and not just a bunch of relatives staring at the TV. As of yet, we don't know anyone here who would object to letting those people off for Thanksgiving too. Do we?

What folks? Who's boycotting Pizza Hut? I think your question should be directed at them specifically. As for the majority of us, I'm sure posting on the forum is what our passion for the topic calls for.

Ah, but does working on Thanksgiving really truly "go with the job" of making pizzas? It would seem corporate doesn't think so.
It is and I have said so. I have asked and recieved no response. That is why my comments have been made in generalities.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
It is and I have said so. I have asked and recieved no response. That is why my comments have been made in generalities.
You've asked someone who has said they are boycotting/would have boycotted Pizza Hut that question? Who?

Well obviously, many of us disagree with you on at least that - I don't think working fast food (or in any restaurant, really) automatically means you should have to work Thanksgiving, which is what I take "comes with the job" to mean. Why would it? What is the need, exactly?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
You've asked someone who has said they are boycotting/would have boycotted Pizza Hut that question? Who?

Well obviously, many of us disagree with you on at least that - I don't think working fast food (or in any restaurant, really) automatically means you should have to work Thanksgiving, which is what I take "comes with the job" to mean. Why would it? What is the need, exactly?
My question was along the the lines of for those who do not think people should not work at specific jobs on holidays." I know many disagree with me as others disagree with you. It's called debate. Look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events