Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 03:19 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times

Advertisements

I want to know how he got his hands on the firearms, seeing how he is under 18. I love guns btw, not one of those crazed gun grabbers. One of the only useful laws that(should) prevent these shootings from happening is that most school kids are under 18, and you can't buy firearms under 18, handguns under 21.

Of course, if the parents buy them for the kid and give them free access...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 04:01 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
Why is it that you never hear about these guys idolizing Cho, Breivik, Whitman, Hassan, or (God forbid) Lanza? No, after all these years it's still all about Columbine Columbine Columbine. I don't think there's a single criminal in history with as much of a cult following as those two guys.
How many of these unaware parents are gun owners themselves? Columbine Kids, Nancy Lanza, etc. They grow up in a gun culture. They are willing to kill and be killed by the gun.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:50 PM

479 posts, read 1,433,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
How many of these unaware parents are gun owners themselves? Columbine Kids, Nancy Lanza, etc. They grow up in a gun culture. They are willing to kill and be killed by the gun.
Nancy Lanza was a gun owner and a Horrible Judge of Character when it came to her son. I don't think the Columbine parents owned guns.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:05 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
I want to know how he got his hands on the firearms, seeing how he is under 18. I love guns btw, not one of those crazed gun grabbers. One of the only useful laws that(should) prevent these shootings from happening is that most school kids are under 18, and you can't buy firearms under 18, handguns under 21.

Of course, if the parents buy them for the kid and give them free access...
It's super easy for a kid to get guns in Minnesota. I grew up in Minnesota and a kid we used to play with had some real gun nut parents who owned a local junk yard. They had hundreds of guns, just laying around in closets, corners, drawers, all over the place. They would never know if any of those guns went missing. I was just cleaning out my dad's garage and he had five shotguns in the back closet that he forgot he had. Every other person in MN has at least a shotgun or a hunting rifle and probably a few pistols for fun. Most gun owners are not very responsible, unfortunately.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:23 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Are you saying the status quo is working better then, or should we try?
I am stating what the reality IS. Try is good, but its like wishing problems away. Until our society looks at mental illness like any other serious medical illness, nothing will change. This young man was looking at committing suicide by cop and taking everyone else that he thought had treated him poorly along with him. He needed, and still needs help for his mental problems.

Last edited by froglipz; 05-03-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 05-03-2014, 07:31 PM

479 posts, read 1,433,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Think it's humorous you chose to apply the "god forbid" to Lanza, as if any of the names you mentioned merits "god forbid" designation over any of the others. Good point about Columbine's "popularity", though
One reason Lanza hasn't had any copycats could be that most aspiring mass murderers consider the deliberate slaughter of kindergarteners to be beneath even them. At least I'd imagine so.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:39 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
We as a society have failed in identifying, and treating mental health issues. It is far to easy to blame parents and forget how easy it was too hide things from them when you were young.

I think we need more training in mental issues, and place these people in schools to identify possible issues long before they become problems, and educate parents. Adam Lanza's mother should have been warned against allowing her child weapons IMHO.
Why in the world should we expect a teacher--who will only see the kid five hours a week, and that at the same time as two or three dozen other kids--to be more aware of his mental state than his parents? If they can be hidden from parents, how can they not be hidden from school officials?

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 05-03-2014 at 10:54 PM..

Old 05-03-2014, 10:42 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
One reason Lanza hasn't had any copycats could be that most aspiring mass murderers consider the deliberate slaughter of kindergarteners to be beneath even them. At least I'd imagine so.
Too early for copycats of that situation. But it's hard to say who is being copied when there are numerous examples around.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:46 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,536,738 times
I'm surprised
This is the only thread that hasn't been derailed in this forum.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:04 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Why in the world should we expect a teacher--who will only see the kid five hours a week, and that at the same time as two or three dozen other kids--to be more aware of his mental state than his parents? If they can be hidden from parents, how can they not be hidden from school officials?
Ralph, I said a trained professional in recognizing mental health issues in schools. Not teachers. Similar to a counselor in that they can be involved behavior issues. Just bringing an awareness to parents, faculty, and community would be a benefit in my opinion. I'm only suggesting this as a possible avenue. Clearly, we have issues in the US, and our rates of these types of violent acts is well above averages of other countries in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events