Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:25 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
He will strut around it, much like Sterling himself.
If you can't stick to the subject of a thread, I suggest not commenting at all. It's a little childish to follow someone's post and cry "I don't like what you're talking about, you're bad".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 02:33 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's hard not to see the elephant in the room.
Hmmm I go to work, get a quick break, check in & I'm still highly amused with this thread....love the analogy

Old 05-13-2014, 02:41 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
It's not apples and oranges.

Making a comment based on skin color is no different than:

Making fat jokes
Making gay jokes
Making fun of the handicapped
Being a bully in general
etc.

Please explain the differences, dude.
Well, for one thing, fat people can lose weight. Everyone else on your list doesn't have a viable option to alter their condition.

As a former fat person, I'm offended that anyone would seek to protect obese people and suggest they're disabled some how. They're not, they consume more calories than their bodies need and can reverse the condition by reducing intake. While it's true that obesity is often a symptom of another condition (e.g. depression, etc.), more often than not it's a lifestyle choice.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
[/indent]Charles Barkley responds to criticism over fat*jokes | SI Wire

Should he be fired? Now we have Shaq insulting disabled people and Barkley insulting overweight people. I believe it's Kenny's turn now.
Sure, why not. Take everything away from him.

If it's good enough for what's his name...the Clippers guy...it's good enough for everybody.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Well, for one thing, fat people can lose weight. Everyone else on your list doesn't have a viable option to alter their condition.
Not all fat people can lose weight. And that's beside the point. Gay people can act straight too, so should insensitive gay remarks be allowed? Ugly people can have plastic surgery, too. Saying fat people can lose weight sounds like a good excuse for the next bully that decides to tease a kid into committing suicide. And hell, what if some people don't want to lose weight? Does that give you the right to kick them because of how they look?

Quote:
As a former fat person, I'm offended that anyone would seek to protect obese people and suggest they're disabled some how. They're not,
Who said disabled?

Shaq is the one that made fun of a disabled person.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Sure, why not. Take everything away from him.

If it's good enough for what's his name...the Clippers guy...it's good enough for everybody.
We have a bingo.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:52 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
People please don't get caught up in the madness. There's more important things going on in the world and Charles has insulted cities before and then when he shows up its a love fest. I think he did the same thing to SA last year or the year before.

That being said I know of a few guys who love women with some meat on their bones. So for those who love them some BBWs head on down to San Antonio. Do people notice that Charles isn't so slim himself? Come to think of it me neither.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Not all fat people can lose weight. And that's beside the point. Gay people can act straight too, so should insensitive gay remarks be allowed? .
This comment is so bigoted that I'm closelined. Acting straight??? Geezus.

You can stop being fat, and yes, ALL fat people can lose weight, but you can't stop being disabled, black, or gay.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This comment is so bigoted that I'm closelined. Acting straight??? Geezus.
Keeps things in context. Saying fat people can stop being harrassed by losing weight is about as insensitive as saying gay people can stop being harrassed by acting straight. Is it not?

Quote:
You can stop being fat, and yes, ALL fat people can lose weight, but you can't stop being disabled, black, or gay.
But why should a fat person have to change who they are just so people like Barkley wont bully them? I'm appalled at the insensitive comments displayed by posters in this thread. What next, are you going to say ugly people should get plastic surgery so bullies will stop making fun of them.

You make it obvious that we have a long way to go before discrimination is eradicated in this country.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Because he is allowed to say hateful things on TV about certain groups without punishment.

Why should one group be protected from hateful remarks more than another group?

Why can Shaq make fun of a handicapped person? Why can Barkley make fun of overweight people?

It seems like everyone is fair game except for gays/blacks.
I don't know. I didn't know about what Shaq said because I don't care anything about basketball and I don't tweet. I only know about this because the thread was on the front page of the forum. Maybe Barkley could poke some fun at Shaq too? He looks like he could hop on the elliptical for a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events