Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:08 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtastic View Post

HE'S A GROWN ASS MAN.

WHERE'S THE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY? STOP BLAMING PARENTS. AND STOP THIS CRAP OF REFERRING TO GROWN MEN AS A KID
You nailed it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 04:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtastic View Post
What tv are you watching? Unless I'm having hallucinations, he was referred to as a kid and a boy about 30 times in the past hour on CNN.

Turn on CNN. I've heard him referred to as a kid on every show they have. Same with HLN. Same with msnbc. Listen to the anchors and discussion panels of "experts" they bring on.
Also, nbc news, cbs, abc have all referred to him as a "boy" and a "kid"

And I don't think maturity was his major issue. That was the least of his concerns. I think being an evil bastard who was suicidal and decided to get famous by slaughtering a bunch of people was his major problem.
The first mistake is to turn on C.N.N. That network doesn't promote news and the same goes for Fox News.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Maybe they are kids.....they can be on their parents insurance until 26.
lol. I almost said that!

Old 05-26-2014, 04:16 PM

141 posts, read 116,137 times
It comes down to a simple fact. An 18-25 year old is an adult who is responsible for their actions. Not a child. Not even close.
We've really gone off the reservation referring to 22 year olds as children who mommy/daddy have to hover over like crazy little league parents. Hyper parenting gone insane.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM

The sickest thing about this is that this scumbag is sitting in a 50k bmw that mommy bought him complaining about his problems. They should have cut his rich spoiled ass off at 18 and then maybe he'd APPRECIATE A FREE 50K BMW!!! And not think life is that bad. Try living in Africa with no food to eat jackass. Never kissed a girl? Just go on craigslist and look for a pro if it's THAT bad. My god. And plenty of people have problems with girls. Just go on a dating site and send out thousands of emails and ask out a ton of girls. Someone will say yes eventually. Friggin scumbag psychopath. He wasn't criminally insane, he knew what he was doing. For sure. You can see he's with it in the video. Maybe work on interpersonal skills and talking to people.

He's just a spoiled rotten little ***** that was suffering from a major depression and decided everyone has to pay for that. Lots of people are suicidal and severly depressed. THe difference is that they're not total sociopath scumbags that want to kill everyone just because they're not happy!

Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
He was in college and traditionally people who are older call those people "college kids". It's not a commentary on who is or isn't a minor or legal adult, it's just common use term and has no legal meaning. But by all mean rant and rave.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
He was in college and traditionally people who are older call those people "college kids". It's not a commentary on who is or isn't a minor or legal adult, it's just common use term and has no legal meaning. But by all mean rant and rave.
No...No I totally get what you mean. But this is different. The news never used to report on a 22 year old using these terms. They'd say a 22 year old man. Whether he was in college or not. I remember. There has been a huge massive shift over the past few decades. If you pay really close attention then you'll see it. People are living longer than ever at home under their parents roof. They're going to school longer. People don't consider the average person grown till they finish schooling and enter the workforce.(average person didn't used to go to college. It was for smart people) So we've forgotten that we are now sending adults to school. Not children.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:29 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,343 times
He certainly acted like a kid. If you read about his life, he was very dependent on his parents. I don't even think he was supporting his own livelihood - I know his mom bought had bought his BMW, and I think she was paying his rent as well. Plus, he'd be with his parents, traveling abroad or crashing at their place, whenever he wasn't at his apartment.

I don't agree with referring to him as a child, but I do think it's silly to act like parents can't be accountable for deranged offspring. I mean, are you trying to suggest that once an individual turns 18 his or her parents are no longer responsible for any of the ideas or upbringing that they provided prior to the 18th birthday? That's such a simplistic way to view human behavior. We don't re-start as clean slates the moment we are no longer legally classified as minors.

Anyway, you're right that Elliot Rodger was just a horrible person. We shouldn't be blaming the parents, but to say that they're completely irrelevant to the conversation is absolutely flawed.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:05 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Maybe they are kids.....they can be on their parents insurance until 26.
No, the concept there is "dependent." For instance, in the military anyone who receives military-provided privileges based on a specified relationship with a military member is a "dependent," regardless of age. It has nothing to do with being a "kid" per se and is certainly not intended to be a definition of "kid."

Old 05-26-2014, 06:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
When you are a 40+ year old, 22 is a "kid." No one said he isn't an adult, and what difference does it make? He's dead. He's not going to be charged with anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events