Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:08 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,282,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
The liberal spin machine is in full swing with this story.
Pot, meet kettle.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 AM

993 posts, read 1,562,625 times
I think tacking on the "marine" label is the only thing making this guy's story so sympathetic to some of you. If it was just a regular civilian with a history of depression and who accidentally made a wrong turn into Mexico with a few guns in his possession, many of you would either be apathetic towards or critical of the man in this situation.

I am grateful for our country's servicemen and women, but I don't believe they are infallible or free from culpability when they make stupid mistakes. This was a stupid mistake. Make a stupid mistake in a foreign country - even if that country is just down the road - and there are potentially serious consequences, as this guy is learning.

My thoughts are with him, and I hope everything gets settled. No need to make this political.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:06 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,047,244 times
He had already been living in the San Diego area for 2 months prior to this incident. People seem to be suggesting he just rolled into Mexico from Florida. There are statements to the media from his roommate in San Diego.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:05 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,405,781 times
something not right
1) why is he that close to the border with guns
2) why does he caring gun anyway
3) he a marine he not stupid
4) he wass legal till he cross the line, why did he cross the line
5) there are turn arounds at all gates

the whole story not being told here

Old 05-31-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I am grateful for our country's servicemen and women, but I don't believe they are infallible or free from culpability when they make stupid mistakes. This was a stupid mistake.
^^^^ This!!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,914,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Once you miss the sign (that was very tiny and easy to miss at the time of the incident) you're SOL. You can't change lanes or turn around after that point, so by the time all of those huge signs are there, it's too late. That was the accidental part. He missed the u-turn point and then had no other option but to cross the border.
Actually there is one glaringly obvious option. He could have stopped on our side. Yep, folks in the lane behind him would be mad but it wouldn't be any different if his truck broke down and he would have been in America.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Actually there is one glaringly obvious option. He could have stopped on our side. Yep, folks in the lane behind him would be mad but it wouldn't be any different if his truck broke down and he would have been in America.
Yup. This. Could have played out something like ...

Border Patrol: Sir, you can't stop here. You're holding up traffic.

Marine: I apologize sir, but I've made a wrong turn and cannot cross into Mexico. I am a former Marine and have three legally owned firearms in my vehicle, and we both know it is illegal for me to enter Mexico with guns. I would appreciate your assistance since I cannot proceed any further.

Border Patrol: Sigh. Wait here. We will assist you in turning around.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:29 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,405,781 times
you can take your guns into mexico, when you follow the law. There a lot of people that hunt in mexico. but they do it within the law

Old 05-31-2014, 11:52 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,914,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yup. This. Could have played out something like ...

Border Patrol: Sir, you can't stop here. You're holding up traffic.

Marine: I apologize sir, but I've made a wrong turn and cannot cross into Mexico. I am a former Marine and have three legally owned firearms in my vehicle, and we both know it is illegal for me to enter Mexico with guns. I would appreciate your assistance since I cannot proceed any further.

Border Patrol: Sigh. Wait here. We will assist you in turning around.
It doesn't matter how mad or uncooperative anybody gets, you can't be forced by U.S. officials or agents to enter a foreign country against your will. You might have to pay a fine or towing charges but you don't end up in prison in a foreign country.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
It doesn't matter how mad or uncooperative anybody gets, you can't be forced by U.S. officials or agents to enter a foreign country against your will. You might have to pay a fine or towing charges but you don't end up in prison in a foreign country.
I hope you get that I was agreeing with you. I wasn't being sarcastic. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events