Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 03:42 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times

Advertisements

1st. Let me buy stock in Amazon and UPS. Would be a boom for there Biz. Then put the metal detectors in .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 04:37 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
One possible solution would be concealed carry, by store employees, of metal detectors that would detect customers' guns. When detecting one, they could alert store security to keep a watch on the person with the gun. Store security could follow that person with security cameras, till they left. There would be no need to cause any kind of delay for anyone, nor even get in their face. Or instead of concealed carry of metal detectors by store employees, maybe concealed metal detectors in the aisles of the store, hooked up to alert security automatically. Security might want to keep a high powered rifle trained on people suspected of having guns, but never actually confront them nor get in their face, unless they actually committed a crime. It would be important for this scheme to be kept secret, because, if people knew about it, they might stop shopping there.

This would have the additional benefit of giving more meaning to Target's name. But Walmart might want to do it too.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
I don't think we have a target and Walmart problem
That sounds like more demand for paternalism
I think our community has a problem
Somebody' s son went there to target & has been walking around among children with a loaded gun
Trust me people already knew about this before you did
They don't want to get involved
Target don't want metal detectors any more than schools want them bek when the alarm goes off they got to do something about it then the communities problem becomes their problem
And then some lawyers are going to make some money

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-08-2014 at 04:50 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 04:44 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
One possible solution would be concealed carry, by store employees, of metal detectors that would detect customers' guns. When detecting one, they could alert store security to keep a watch on the person with the gun. Store security could follow that person with security cameras, till they left. There would be no need to cause any kind of delay for anyone, nor even get in their face. Or instead of concealed carry of metal detectors by store employees, maybe concealed metal detectors in the aisles of the store, hooked up to alert security automatically. Security might want to keep a high powered rifle trained on people suspected of having guns, but never actually confront them nor get in their face, unless they actually committed a crime. It would be important for this scheme to be kept secret, because, if people knew about it, they might stop shopping there.

This would have the additional benefit of giving more meaning to Target's name. But Walmart might want to do it too.
A. Nothing like that could be kept secret long.
B. If in a state that permits concealed carry, the store should be ethical enough to post its real attitude on the front door.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:45 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I don't think we have a target and Walmart problem
That sounds like more demand for paternalism
I agree it's not a store owner's problem.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Someone Left A Loaded Gun In The Toy Aisle Of Target

This happened in a Myrtle Beach Target recently and so it begs the question. Places like Target and Walmart used detectors to keep their merchandise from leaving the store. Shouldn't they also take a bit of their budget and screen for weapons entering their stores? Would doing so violate our second amendment?
Good Lord..you want everyplace in America to look like the boarding area of the airport ?

If you are that scared of life..stay indoors and keep the doors locked.
Don't make all of America suffer because you're scared.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Would your reactions be the same if a three year old child picked this gun up and shot itself? Not trying to be inflamatory, but it does beg the question.
Parents: Watch your kids and don't let them pick up stuff off the shelves. I mean, really, who wants to buy something with a little kid's sticky fingers all over it?

See how easy it is?

Old 06-08-2014, 05:26 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan

Old 06-08-2014, 05:28 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Good Lord..you want everyplace in America to look like the boarding area of the airport ?

If you are that scared of life..stay indoors and keep the doors locked.
Don't make all of America suffer because you're scared.
Not scared, just posed a question. I have kids and I imagine myself that if I were to see my 4 year old son pick that thing up, I'd be going through the roof at Target, even though it's not preventable unless with some sort of metal detector in place.

I own a pistol, carry a pistol, and am very safety oriented due to having children in the house. I wouldn't want my child to pick up a loaded pistol in a store, but I know that if they did, that because of my training, they would (hopefully) get an adult immediately involved in the situation. They are aware that guns kill and they are aware that they are off limits. I just hope that others are trained as mine are.

I don't think that asking a question is making "America Suffer" lmao

Old 06-08-2014, 05:34 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post

Odds are just about everyone who comes thru the doors will set it off. Cell Phone, Car Keys, Belt ... So you would need hundreds of Security guards To watch the cameras, (and you would need more camera so security can watch everyone, every where...Odds are the Camera watchers would be outsources to India or China where labor is cheaper )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events