Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Perhaps there's nothing immoral nor wrong about sex, but it does require a degree of emotional maturity that the vast majority of teenagers don't possess.
So SHOW them what to do & not do in terms of sex. Telling them to just not do it is illogical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So SHOW them what to do & not do in terms of sex. Telling them to just not do it is illogical.
You can't teach emotional maturity. You can encourage them to wait until they're better prepared, as well as think critically about WHY they feel so driven to have sex. And you an ALSO prepare them with the knowledge they need IF they choose to go ahead with it.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:05 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
You can't teach emotional maturity. You can encourage them to wait until they're better prepared, as well as think critically about WHY they feel so driven to have sex. And you an ALSO prepare them with the knowledge they need IF they choose to go ahead with it.
Right, however I'm referring to those who only want to teach abstinence. It's irresponsible.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
The question I'd like to see the doctor/congressman answer is this, "In hindsight, would you have preferred your daughter to have been using birth control, than having unprotected sex against your wishes?"
And, "What advice do you have for your other children?"

Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Right, however I'm referring to those who only want to teach abstinence. It's irresponsible.
My point is that it doesn't have to be (and SHOULDN'T be) an either/or situation, as in your earlier post.

Quote:
Why do people keep trying to suppress what is natural? Sex is completely natural. There is nothing immoral nor wrong about sex. Therefore, hows about what we DO do is teach people how to be careful about sex instead of trying to teach them to not have it. Simple.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,378 times
Quote:
Just say no was so effective...right?

Old 07-15-2014, 12:38 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Teenagers don't need a WHY to have or not have sex. They are pretty much hormone-driven at that age.

Preparing them with knowledge should come before they even think about having sex. No teenager is going to approach their parents and say 'I'm thinking about having sex. What do I need to know?'

It's not really a thought process for them. It's a spontaneous event, usually.

My parents had seven children; three boys and four girls. We went to catholic school. Our parents NEVER mentioned a word about sex to us, and certainly we got no 'sex education' at school.

All four of the girls became pregnant before marriage.

Now, I raised three girls. When they became teenagers (or before!) I made it clear that if they wanted to have sex to let me know and I would see that they got appropriate birth control. I also cautioned them that having sex will begin an emotional process that they might not be mature enough to handle. I did tell them they should be very sure it was what they wanted.

Long story short: not one of my daughters got pregnant before marriage.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:43 PM

792 posts, read 634,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Teenagers don't need a WHY to have or not have sex. They are pretty much hormone-driven at that age.

Preparing them with knowledge should come before they even think about having sex. No teenager is going to approach their parents and say 'I'm thinking about having sex. What do I need to know?'

It's not really a thought process for them. It's a spontaneous event, usually.

My parents had seven children; three boys and four girls. We went to catholic school. Our parents NEVER mentioned a word about sex to us, and certainly we got no 'sex education' at school.

All four of the girls became pregnant before marriage.

Now, I raised three girls. When they became teenagers (or before!) I made it clear that if they wanted to have sex to let me know and I would see that they got appropriate birth control. I also cautioned them that having sex will begin an emotional process that they might not be mature enough to handle. I did tell them they should be very sure it was what they wanted.

Long story short: not one of my daughters got pregnant before marriage.
You seem like a pretty good parent.

I like this approach, instead of just turning sex into this mythical, dangerous thing that you should never do. Why shouldn't you do it? "Because I said so. Or because God said so."

Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
You seem like a pretty good parent.

I like this approach, instead of just turning sex into this mythical, dangerous thing that you should never do. Why shouldn't you do it? "Because I said so. Or because God said so."
Yeah, I never saw the point in keeping sex a secret; a shameful secret, at that!

Old 07-15-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You apparently missed my earlier post. I disagree that they're just hormone driven. As I mentioned earlier, many girls are driven by a desire to be loved and accepted. They believe they have to sleep with their boyfriend, or he won't love them. Or they have to sleep with a boy to get him to like her at all. They don't have enough self confidence to know that isn't the case at all.

So yes, addressing the WHY is very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events