Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:03 PM

792 posts, read 635,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yeah, I never saw the point in keeping sex a secret; a shameful secret, at that!
But I mean, at the same time, it's not like you should be going around bragging about your sexual achievements. That's something immature 16-year old boys do, something that really needs to change. Then you'd see a lot more respect for women too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 01:49 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,682,349 times
Reminds me of Sarah Palin.

Sex is normal, teens should be taught to have responsibly not abstaining. If they want to hold off, then they will. Teens are not that stupid!

Schools should teach teens about ways of protections and how to have better sex.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
My parents had seven children; three boys and four girls. ...
All four of the girls became pregnant before marriage.
Well, after the first, was there any discussion between her & her 3 sisters?
Quote:
I raised three girls ... if they wanted to have sex to let me know and I would see that they got appropriate birth control ... not one ... got pregnant before marriage.
Did any of them actually request that you assist them in obtaining birth control?
How do you know that none ever got pregnant and had an abortion? I know quite a few women who did this; none that ever told their mother.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:45 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You apparently missed my earlier post. I disagree that they're just hormone driven. As I mentioned earlier, many girls are driven by a desire to be loved and accepted. They believe they have to sleep with their boyfriend, or he won't love them. Or they have to sleep with a boy to get him to like her at all. They don't have enough self confidence to know that isn't the case at all.

So yes, addressing the WHY is very important.
Oh, well. What do I know? I was only a girl many years ago...

Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Well, after the first, was there any discussion between her & her 3 sisters?

Did any of them actually request that you assist them in obtaining birth control?
How do you know that none ever got pregnant and had an abortion? I know quite a few women who did this; none that ever told their mother.
I was one of the sisters!

Sure, when my older sister became pregnant I asked her something (don't remember what, maybe 'what happened'?). Anyway she demonstrated the sex act with two teddy bears! LOL

That didn't teach me ANYthing.

As for my daughters, no, none of them asked me; they got it on their own. But, at least they were aware and knew BC was there for their use.

Whether one of them had an abortion, I do not know.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
interesting op ed

Abstinence sex education doesn't work. It teaches lies to ill-informed virgins | Jessica Valenti | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Old 07-15-2014, 03:16 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,468,083 times
Somewhere... ...an angel just got her wings!

Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
I was told I should wait until marriage to have sex (though my parents weren't really obsessed with this idea - this was just what they hoped). But my parents enthusiastically supported my private school's rigorous sex ed program. It was part of the standard curriculum. I knew A LOT about different STDs, pregnancy risks and birth control. I waited until after I graduated college to have sex. (Seriously, I wasn't going to wait until marriage - I'm 38, an atheist, and still don't want to get married!)

I wasn't going to jeopardize my future, and I knew abortion wasn't an option I was comfortable with for myself, even if I'm pro-choice. We had a teen mother in the generation before mine and it was an abject lesson in how having kids young could limit your options.

Abstinence-only sex ed is absolutely moronic in this day and age, when kids can get all sorts of misinformation online with the click of a mouse. And it was almost as moronic in prior days with more limited information flows. It's basically a giant lie of omission - you're deliberately withholding relevant information. That's kind of disgusting.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:39 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I was told I should wait until marriage to have sex (though my parents weren't really obsessed with this idea - this was just what they hoped). But my parents enthusiastically supported my private school's rigorous sex ed program. It was part of the standard curriculum. I knew A LOT about different STDs, pregnancy risks and birth control. I waited until after I graduated college to have sex. (Seriously, I wasn't going to wait until marriage - I'm 38, an atheist, and still don't want to get married!)

I wasn't going to jeopardize my future, and I knew abortion wasn't an option I was comfortable with for myself, even if I'm pro-choice. We had a teen mother in the generation before mine and it was an abject lesson in how having kids young could limit your options.

Abstinence-only sex ed is absolutely moronic in this day and age, when kids can get all sorts of misinformation online with the click of a mouse. And it was almost as moronic in prior days with more limited information flows. It's basically a giant lie of omission - you're deliberately withholding relevant information. That's kind of disgusting.
Not to mention that sex is tied into your overall health as well. Can you imagine if you weren't given the facts about smoking? Or exercise? Or drinking?

Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Not to mention that sex is tied into your overall health as well. Can you imagine if you weren't given the facts about smoking? Or exercise? Or drinking?
Indeed. Important biological facts are being withheld because of people's hangups and superstitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events