Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:14 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times

Advertisements

For the past two decades, support for euthanasia has been steadily growing to bring us to out most recent poll which states that 70% of the Americans polled support it.

Seven in 10 Americans Back Euthanasia

If a loved one of yours had a terminal disease, would you support putting them out of their misery? Moral questions like these aren't usually cut and dry, but have lots of grey areas.

Would you support a law/bill that allowed for doctors to euthanize your loved one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 02:16 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Yes, I would support that. A person has a basic right to choose how they're going to die. Why should they live out their days in a hospital bed or in hospice, spewing out their money or their loved ones money to die what could be a horribly long death when they could choose to basically fall asleep? It's their life, their death, they should have that right.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:31 PM

792 posts, read 635,202 times
I think, if someone wrote in their will or something that if the question is asked then the cord should be pulled, then euthanasia would be acceptable in those cases.

The big moral dilemma would be, does the next-of-kin have the right to decide if they die or not?

Old 07-18-2014, 02:33 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
I think, if someone wrote in their will or something that if the question is asked then the cord should be pulled, then euthanasia would be acceptable in those cases.

The big moral dilemma would be, does the next-of-kin have the right to decide if they die or not?
Even more than "pulling the cord", could you watch someone take a lethal dose of drugs? I mean, we do so with our state's prison systems, but could you sit through such an event at your local hospice?

Old 07-18-2014, 02:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes, I would support that. A person has a basic right to choose how they're going to die. Why should they live out their days in a hospital bed or in hospice, spewing out their money or their loved ones money to die what could be a horribly long death when they could choose to basically fall asleep? It's their life, their death, they should have that right.
Yes, I think if that is what the person wants then they should be allowed to die in a dignified way. My grandma is terminally ill, and the doctors recently gave her 6 months to live. She's very religious, so would be morally against it. But I just think of when I'm old, and if I were to end up with the same disease (which is genetic) I wouldn't want to continue living like that. Especially knowing that there is no cure and I'm just going to continue to get worse over the next few months. I would much rather die peacefully surrounded by those I love.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Even more than "pulling the cord", could you watch someone take a lethal dose of drugs? I mean, we do so with our state's prison systems, but could you sit through such an event at your local hospice?
Yes, if they're in hospice, then they're most likely terminally ill. I'd much rather see my loved ones die peacefully then have to helplessly witness them suffer in pain for months. But again, its only if that is what the person wants.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:54 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,648 times
The three that are against it are the ones the other seven want to kill!

Old 07-18-2014, 03:07 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
The three that are against it are the ones the other seven want to kill!
An oversimplification, of course, but I have very little doubt that some of the people who prattle about "relativism" and other forms of Political Correctness; who insist that some "greater common good" outweighs the right of an individual to make his/her own decisions; who whine about the "scarcity of resources" in order to gain more control over them -- can usually be found in sympathy with the forefront of the euthanasia advocacy.

About fifteen years ago, my extended family, which includes no medical personnel. but does contain two veterinarians who are every bit as familiar with the degenerative process at the end of our days, faced life-support decisions involving two much-loved elderly relatives. We all agreed, and the end came peacefully; I believe that the vast majority of families are capable of facing the same choices without Big Brother's or Sister's participation.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:03 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,099,223 times
I really would be in favor of letting people do this, if I was in a situation where I a terminal disease I don't know if I would want to go on and be miserable and a burden to others. I have seen in it my own family watching someone there as a vegetable it is so sad. Part of the problem is you have people running around saying a god or deity owns our bodies and we have no right to harm it. I think our bodies are our own. Too many people worrying about others and not themselves.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
There are many misconceptions about assisted suicide. No one "pulls the cord" but the patient him or her self.

I knew two people who were candidates for an assisted suicide program. They were approved and had the drugs to go ahead and take their lives at the time of their choosing. Both had terminal Cancer were comforted in knowing when the pain got too great and they felt the time was right they could exit this world.

Were I still living in that state where people were allowed to do that and I were terminally ill as they were I would choose assisted suicide in heartbeat. I am glad to see others feel the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events