Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:15 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
American citizens are too lazy to do what it takes to renew their skills.
Whoopee for patriotism. I detect none at all in you. Bill Gates is willing to bring in immigrants and you're bashing Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 11:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Hogwash, he believes in bringing in the best talent for the job. Some of these people from foreign countries are really smart and dedicated. Also, your talking about small numbers. Why not do something about illegal immigration? Arrest Juan Valdez for using John Smiths SS number and send him packing.
You are not helping GM. Does UAW know you come to forums and say anti-union things?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:18 PM

384 posts, read 349,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't buy it. You mean to tell me we don't have thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of people with talent for technical jobs? I just don't believe it. I have a hard time believing that not one of those 18,000 people laid off didn't have enough talent for the job. What the other guy said was right on the money. These companies are firing permanent employees so they can hire contract employees.
We most certainly do have thousands of people with the talent for these jobs. But they are already employed. The tech industry is growing at such a pace that we can't keep up with decent talent. There's even thousands of more which don't have the talent... but those folks are of little use in such a competitive environment.
Quote:

We have the lowest workforce participation rate in the country, and I don't think it's all because we're not smart or dedicated enough. I've heard of thousands of people with STEM degrees who are either working for very small salaries or not working in their fields.
When you say "we", who are you talking about? The reality is that there's only so many STEM degree holders from decent programs. We don't have a lot of schools like Stanford, MIT, CMU, etc. We have a bunch of low quality schools but those graduates are not going to cut it in technology.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:20 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post

Now, for new jobs, you need qualified individuals. The US has a limited number of qualified individuals for high tech jobs.
How? Bill Gates told you? Ask them to open up their books. How many US engineers did they interview and how many offers did they make? College STEM graduates are dying to get jobs and you say there aren't enough of them? How many do you want ?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:46 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,616 times
Much of this is the anti immigrant sentiments of this country from both the left and the right. The hi tech industry is expanding significantly. Companies don't just want cheaper labor. They want people who can do things well. They want increasingly specialized skills.

You only see the number of stem graduates in America. It's not about the number. These companies want the best ones. If americans want these jobs they would have to become he best ones. Or they need to find other jobs.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:54 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
We most certainly do have thousands of people with the talent for these jobs. But they are already employed. The tech industry is growing at such a pace that we can't keep up with decent talent. There's even thousands of more which don't have the talent... but those folks are of little use in such a competitive environment.

When you say "we", who are you talking about? The reality is that there's only so many STEM degree holders from decent programs. We don't have a lot of schools like Stanford, MIT, CMU, etc. We have a bunch of low quality schools but those graduates are not going to cut it in technology.
"We" is not me. I work in the legal industry. I just have a hard time believing that we don't have home grown talent in the technical fields. I just hate it when a company lays off 18,000 employees while trying to get an increase in immigrants to come work for them.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:25 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
American citizens are too lazy to do what it takes to renew their skills.

In fact, there's one thread on here about a person who was asked to come in to a new job, by the CEO, and work a day for free, obviously to get a feel for each other and most replied like it was the greatest crime of our era!

America is lost....we have an entitlement mentality.

"Let them eat cake!"
And yet, majority of the tech blogs are maintained by Americans who shares the enthusiasm of being current and at the bleeding edge of technology. How many tech sites are out there maintained by non-European foreigners that has the latest and most current tech?

Majority of the foreigners that was sponsored that I've work with are here to substitute an American. As long as they can perform 40% what an American can do that's good enough. Because many companies will maintain the top class American tech workers to train and lead the cheap foreign labor that's what companies are doing.

The reason Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg keeps asking for H1B status changes because we are now dependent on foreign labors like we are dependent on China to make our cheap goods. We are now grown too used to paying for cheap goods and labor.

An IT Project manager who wants to maintain his $200K+ salary are only allowed to hire cheap IT staff unless he wants to take a pay cut.

I have a colleague who is a PM like myself, he has 3 Indians assigned to him but he is trying to hire cheaper American IT in order to get things moving. You can't get workflow with only Indians, you also need experienced US IT workers to keep the moving chains going.

All this talk about American IT workers not staying current and retrain is nonsense. At the end of the day it's all about salaries...

Old 07-19-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How? Bill Gates told you?
I work in technology. It's a major problem in the field.
Quote:
Ask them to open up their books. How many US engineers did they interview and how many offers did they make?
Technology organizations interview thousands of candidates and reject most of them. The reality is that only a handful are adequate.
Quote:
College STEM graduates are dying to get jobs and you say there aren't enough of them? How many do you want ?
I can't speak for all STEM fields but college competent graduates from decent universities in the computing sciences fields are not dying to get jobs. They are jumping from job to job because of the demand.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
"We" is not me. I work in the legal industry. I just have a hard time believing that we don't have home grown talent in the technical fields. I just hate it when a company lays off 18,000 employees while trying to get an increase in immigrants to come work for them.
Like I said in the post that you quoted, we do have home grown talent in technical fields. Just not enough.

What is a company to do with people that they don't need? A company does not need two HR departments, two marketing departments, two IT departments, etc.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:48 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
The two aren't related. When you acquire a large company like Nokia, you're going to have a lot of redundancy.... there needs to be a purging.

Now, for new jobs, you need qualified individuals. The US has a limited number of qualified individuals for high tech jobs.
Quote:
Like I said in the post that you quoted, we do have home grown talent in technical fields. Just not enough.

What is a company to do with people that they don't need? A company does not need two HR departments, two marketing departments, two IT departments, etc.
Interesting... Obtain a company and gets rid of 75% of the employees. Then continue with nuking the Android platform phones that came out a month ago.

Quote:
CEO Satya Nadella said that the company plans to lay off 18,000 jobs, 12,500 of them – the staff Nokia.

Microsoft gets rid of Android | Hi-tech news
There is no double, just buying up patients and designs, then nuking the previous company. Who in the political world was famous for something like this...? hmmm oh that's right, Mitt Romney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Much of this is the anti immigrant sentiments of this country from both the left and the right. The hi tech industry is expanding significantly. Companies don't just want cheaper labor. They want people who can do things well. They want increasingly specialized skills.

You only see the number of stem graduates in America. It's not about the number. These companies want the best ones. If americans want these jobs they would have to become he best ones. Or they need to find other jobs.
Only the best are allowed in this country while the others can take a hike? Is this what you are saying here? Do you work in the high tech industry? Most of, what I'll call, mid tech jobs are very granular. They want you to have 5 to 10 years experience in one specific technology, it's asinine. Mid tech being OOP and web deving. But these corps don't want high tech talent, they want cheap mid tech talent. Most of these jobs are being outsourced to east Europe and India. I recently watched 5 QA jobs being outsourced to India and Russia. No H1B needed there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
And yet, majority of the tech blogs are maintained by Americans who shares the enthusiasm of being current and at the bleeding edge of technology. How many tech sites are out there maintained by non-European foreigners that has the latest and most current tech?

Majority of the foreigners that was sponsored that I've work with are here to substitute an American. As long as they can perform 40% what an American can do that's good enough. Because many companies will maintain the top class American tech workers to train and lead the cheap foreign labor that's what companies are doing.

The reason Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg keeps asking for H1B status changes because we are now dependent on foreign labors like we are dependent on China to make our cheap goods. We are now grown too used to paying for cheap goods and labor.

An IT Project manager who wants to maintain his $200K+ salary are only allowed to hire cheap IT staff unless he wants to take a pay cut.

I have a colleague who is a PM like myself, he has 3 Indians assigned to him but he is trying to hire cheaper American IT in order to get things moving. You can't get workflow with only Indians, you also need experienced US IT workers to keep the moving chains going.

All this talk about American IT workers not staying current and retrain is nonsense. At the end of the day it's all about salaries...
I couldn't agree with this more. It's funny, I read a comment from an HR rep of a company complaining how "everyone seems to be freelancing these days and not interested in the company environment." You mean working your ass off somewhere for 5 years, being paid mediocre wage, and being laid off, yeah no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events