Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:19 PM

445 posts, read 1,453,570 times

Advertisements

If this is all there is to the story, it's ridiculous. Little kids have no filter. When my son was 3, we were waiting in line at a restaurant. He tugged my arm and said, "Look at that big fat lady!" My husband and I were mortified and we ignored him. He thought we didn't hear it, so he turned up the volume and said it again! We hushed him up.

Later that same weekend, we were waiting to be seated at another restaurant. The hostess was quite elderly and very wrinkled. Our son said, "Look at that lady's face!"

That was it. I guess for some reason he suddenly got tuned in to people's appearances that weekend (we were away for a mini-vacation in Cape May, NJ). It never happened again. Nobody kicked us out and I'm not even sure if anybody heard his comments.

There's got to be more to this story, or it's just fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,701,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Somehow, I just don't believe this story. However, what that kid said is one reason why I dislike kids. They just have no filter & quite frankly, they can be rude.

Kids aren't finished, yet. It was a teachable moment on appropriate conversation. Not sure why the mom felt the need to plaster the event all over the TV, though. Let's face it, it WAS a rude comment. However, it was an age-appropriate query, and it was the mom's job to use the opportunity to teach her child why comments about people's appearances are not considered polite. The shop owner -- well, I have no idea why they reacted the way they did. But it can't be the only doughnut shop in town, surely. Just move on, already, and stop making a federal case out of it.

So . . . just out of curiosity, are you equally repulsed by rude adults? At least the kids have an excuse . . . I know PLENTY of adults with little or no filter, and am constantly taken aback by what they consider polite conversation. (I mean, did I really want to know that the woman sitting next to me on the airplane is a little squirmy because she has a yeast infection? YUCK!)

Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,778,995 times
I think there's more to the story. I read a comment on the news channel's web site from someone who was supposedly a regular at the shop that said the mother is always letting the child run amok in there. This may have just been the last straw. Of course, you've got to take everything you read on the internets with a grain of salt.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:34 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,614,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It COULD be that she told some friends about it and one of them went to the press who then contacted the mom.

I assume you are being sarcastic.

Apparently not.

Really? You're going to teach your 4-year-old not to ask a woman who looks like she is pregnant if she is going to have a baby? Have you ever been around a 4-year-old?

What other things will you be teaching your 4-year-old?

I assume it would include these situations:
1. Person in a wheel chair.
2. Person missing a limb.
3. Person with an eye patch.
4. Person with a stutter.
5. Person with a lisp.
6. Blind person with a cane.
7. Person with an oxygen bottle.
8. Person of small stature.
9. Person with no hair.
10. Male with long hair.
11. Person with a tattoo.
12. Person with a burn.
13. Person showing PDA with a person of same sex.
14. Transgender person.
15. Person with an electrolarynx.
16. Female person with hairy face.
17. Person who is above average height.
18. Person with mental challenges.
19. Person with unusual tics.
20. Person w...

I suppose it's best not to allow them to speak at all.

Yes. Do you not teach your kids manners at all? They must be wonderful.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
So . . . just out of curiosity, are you equally repulsed by rude adults? At least the kids have an excuse . . . I know PLENTY of adults with little or no filter, and am constantly taken aback by what they consider polite conversation. (I mean, did I really want to know that the woman sitting next to me on the airplane is a little squirmy because she has a yeast infection? YUCK!)
Yes. Why do you ask?

Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM

4,982 posts, read 3,303,856 times
All businesses should ban kids. Last thing I want to hear when I go out is a crying chap.

&

Get off my lawn!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:06 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,419,682 times
A 4 year old does not know that is socially unacceptable to say that. 4 year olds are very literal and recognize that other people i,e a parent have knowledge about something that they want to know about, thus embarrassing social questions to adults but perfectly valid in a 4 year old's mind.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,731,107 times
Quote:
Yes. Do you not teach your kids manners at all? They must be wonderful.
Do you have kids?

Old 07-23-2014, 03:40 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,040,861 times
Quote:
Somehow, I just don't believe this story. However, what that kid said is one reason why I dislike kids. They just have no filter & quite frankly, they can be rude.
+1 all the way around. I don't like kids either for that and other reasons. However, adults can be just as rude as children. And I am skeptical of this story as well. However, if the story is true, I think the kid did that woman a favor. Maybe she won't go to the donut shop herself because of his comment

Old 07-23-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you have kids?
I believe I said earlier I don't like kids so, no. I have watched my friends teach & explain to their kids about manners. If you're a good parent, you explain things to your kids instead of letting their mouths run wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events