Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 03:54 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I enjoyed Patrick Stewart's.

Also, we ARE apes. It's not really a shocker that we act similarly to the other apes.
I'm no ape nor animal, and I have not descended thru evolution from an animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 04:20 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Since the donation to ALS comes before the ice bucket, the charity part IS a very big deal.

Expect to see more of this kind of thing in the future. The ice bucket challenge has been far more successful than ever imagined, and it hasn't taken the usual pleading, guilt trips, or the other traditional methods of the disease charities to catch fire.

It allows contributors to have their few seconds of fame, something all the rest have never done. I think del will see mud buckets, pig kissing, and all kinds of similar challenges coming in the future. Better get used to it- people all love to show off, and cell phones make it very easy to do now.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Weird, I'm trying to think if I have actually seen an ice bucket challenge. No, I haven't. The closest I came was hearing George Bush and Julie Chen say they were going to do it, but I never saw it happen.

This is because any time someone starts talking about it, I change the channel or exit the video. It's easy, you should try it. I do it with all sorts of things I don't want to view or hear.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Hey you with the ice bucket and the smart phone.

We get it. The water is cold. You're going to pour it on your head. How clever. That is so five minutes ago already. No one gives a **** anymore. Know who else engages in a lot of extensive imitating behavior? Apes. Now go find a new way to fellate your ego over social media, and maybe at least try to have a shred of originality next time.

What the hell..we now have every single nitwit attention ***** in the nation clamoring to dump ice water on their heads on video, and Yahoo and other media outlets treat it like it's breaking news on par with the Yalta Conference.

This has little to do with charity and a lot to do with self-aggrandizement. Want to do real charity? Go volunteer or cut a check. Generous people who made a real difference throughout the ages didn't need to incessantly advertise themselves with video gimmicks.

I'm convinced that as our phones and tablets and watches and glasses are getting "smarter," we as humans are just becoming dumber.
Amen.

For many celebs, in particular, it appears to be all about the photo-op. I just read that one blew a gasket when she learned no one had been shooting a video.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 AM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...kill-stop.html

Old 08-26-2014, 08:21 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Cool a plant that can write.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:32 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
As I stated in another thread, what started off as a challenge for a good cause has has turned into a "look at me" moment for all these social media attention whores. It's become quite annoying. Lets see if these same people would participate in a 5-mile walk for the cause!

Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
If you actually went to school, you would know that humans are in the Kingdom Animalia so yes, you are an animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Weird, I'm trying to think if I have actually seen an ice bucket challenge. No, I haven't. The closest I came was hearing George Bush and Julie Chen say they were going to do it, but I never saw it happen.

This is because any time someone starts talking about it, I change the channel or exit the video. It's easy, you should try it. I do it with all sorts of things I don't want to view or hear.
I don't watch them either. I disabled the video play on FB so I just scroll past it. It became overkill when normal everyday folks started doing it.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
The thing I am hearing that distubs me about the ALS charity that this is for - they use embryonic stem cells in their research, which is a kind of abortion. because it takes live embryos and their research kills the embrayos. For anyone who believes life begins at conception, this is wrong.

However, there are ALS research that does not use those, they use adult stem cells, so just in case you do not support abortion, you want to find out what that organization will do with your donations.
Given your position, a different ALS charity would be a better choice for you. As for me, can't say it bothers me even a little bit.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:32 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Given your position, a different ALS charity would be a better choice for you. As for me, can't say it bothers me even a little bit.
Its good knowledge for someone who does not believe in using embryonic stem cells, if they are pro-life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events