Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 AM

597 posts, read 1,443,568 times

Advertisements

What happened to all the threads? Looks like City-Data unleashed a new PC police. As long as people are attacking and calling names, why would all these threads be shut down???? I would like to know who polices the PC police?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:16 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
What happened to all the threads? Looks like City-Data unleashed a new PC police. As long as people are attacking and calling names, why would all these threads be shut down???? I would like to know who polices the PC police?
Papers please.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:22 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Looks like the Ferguson thing is a subject of great passion. I've actually avoided this forum a bit because I was a little overwhelmed about the discussion, and I just don't know all that much about the circumstances.

Maybe more positive news will pop up for awhile now...

Old 08-27-2014, 10:26 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
They weren't closed, just moved to P&OC.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM

898 posts, read 937,877 times
This forum appears to be heavily moderated and moderated subjectively at that. Obviously, there are blatant violations of the rules that need to be handled. But much of the moderation appears to be up for interpretation by the individual moderator. So what might fly with one may not fly with another. This is by far one of the heaviest moderated forums I've participated on.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
I get sick of the PC nonsense myself. I welcome someone like Melvin Udall from "As Good As It Gets." To me, discussion forums (any of them) are where one goes to be able to say what's on your mind without worrying about who's offended and all that bunch of PC nonsense. We get enough of that in real life, we don't need that in our discussion forums either (again, ANY of them). Unless you're getting a whole bunch of "I made $30,000 last week let me tell you how" stuff, and "SPAM bot" stuff or the like, I think the moderators, frankly, need to [butt out] just let people have their discussions freely without intervention. We're not in 3rd grade here, and treating people like they're in elementary school is altogether unnecessarily and insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
YOu can high-five yourself all you want for being "non-PC", but this forum was set up to be non-controversial and non-partisan: The Current Events Forum is strictly for non-political discussions. No partisan jabs and no very controversial topics
In other words, it's something for people who are extremely easily offended and whine about it all the time to have a "safe zone" where they can blow bubbles and roast marshmallows around the campfire? Great [sarcasm].

I'm sick of "phony politeness," within a certain tolerable degree, let the mud sling, I say. Let people make their points with passion. If it gets way over the top, okay--otherwise, we're here to engage in discussions without needless parameters, not have our knuckles popped with a ruler. These topics are by their nature controversial and will get a little heated--oh well. We're not here to Nancy around in our flower garden and whistle.

Tell 'em Melvin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hogIoXpSlfs

Last edited by shyguylh; 08-27-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 10:33 AM

898 posts, read 937,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Unless you're getting a whole bunch of "I made $30,000 last week let me tell you how" stuff, and "SPAM bot" stuff or the like, I think the moderators, frankly, need to butt out.
I agree. Or another example is if someone blatantly insulted you by calling you a derogatory term like a**hole or something along those lines, that should be dealt with appropriately. But that doesn't appear to occur that often (that I've noticed, at least). More often than not, I'm really taken aback by the "warnings" I have received by the mods here. It's like chill out, I didn't do anything blatantly offensive to anyone. Some moderate this place like it's supposed to be a G-rated animated Disney film.

Last edited by 4DM1N; 08-27-2014 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
I think the intention here is to be a more respectable alternative to the P&C forum. People have there own agenda - and it's often to make a non-political issue into a political issue. Once that starts - you dwell away from rational debate into the one sentence nonsensical responses like "Bush is Hitler" or "Obama is Hitler". Look at the current topic on the gun range shooting by a 9 year old. Some one posted this idiotic response: "One Word - Obama". Crap like that.

Then your thread correctly gets moved into the deep dark sewers of the P&C forum. And the posters there are, shall we say, not normal or rational.

The problem usually happens when the P&C posters move out of their sewers into the respectable forums.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:41 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
When threads turn political on this forum, they move the thread to Politics and Other Controversies. This forum's TOS clearly state no partisan jabs or politcally controversial discussions, but it gets violated all the time. It is a very fine line between current events and politics, but I am glad they do it, as I choose not to go to P&OC due to the vitriol there and like that this forum is maintained as well as it is.

It comes from people who report political threads as not belonging here (including me), it's not being monitored out of the blue and for no reason.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:52 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
How was my thread regarding the Vermont diner controversial versus a current event? What current events are we to discuss here that aren't controversial? The weather?

Look at the forum - most of the threads have been moved even though they are current events, which usually are controversial.

C-D needs to call the other thread Politics and leave this one Current Events, including controversial subjects. I HATE POLITICS. If I wanted to see stupid poltical threads I would have visited that forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events