Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:24 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Newsflash: The L sound is commonly found in the Chinese language.

If you had done your homework, you would've known this. But I guess I should not expect so much.
The joke I remember from way back was when a Chinese flight attendant says I hope you enjoyed your fright . So that is not true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 11:50 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
Name recognition, Alibaba was chosen you can go just about anywhere in the world and the people have heard of Alibaba and the 40 thieves.

It isn't the same as Amazon, they just connect manufacturers/sellers with buyers. Amazon does that to some extent but also sells their own stuff, makes about 5 billion a year on cloud computing, and is even starting to invest heavily in producing original shows like netflix, among other differences.
Americans have been buying stuff on Alibaba for years but usually you have to buy in bulk and wait for it to ship from China, great if you have some money to invest. Amazon is more convenient, they have their shipping methods dialed in pretty tight and can guarantee fast delivery.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:09 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
They have started a lame ebay knock off in the US for consumers called 11 Mian Street.

And be warned, if you register you will be flooded with spam.
No,that is not it.

Its actually Aliexpress which is similiar to Ebay.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You can bet the Chinese government is getting a good chunk of IPO money. A company this big can be private in China.
Huge Chinese corporations and the Chinese Government are practically one in the same. I just got back from China, huge news over there. Overpriced IPO - I wanted to remind my Chinese collegues of the facebook IPO.
This is all part of the China government plans to develop the new Silk Route.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:52 PM

555 posts, read 803,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The joke I remember from way back was when a Chinese flight attendant says I hope you enjoyed your fright . So that is not true?
Gonna assume this is not a rhetorical question. No, it is not true. Remember Bruce Lee? His last name in Mandarin is pronounced /lee/. In Cantonese, it's /lay/. It's the same L sound as in English.

Well, now you know.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
Name recognition, Alibaba was chosen you can go just about anywhere in the world and the people have heard of Alibaba and the 40 thieves.

It isn't the same as Amazon, they just connect manufacturers/sellers with buyers. Amazon does that to some extent but also sells their own stuff, makes about 5 billion a year on cloud computing, and is even starting to invest heavily in producing original shows like netflix, among other differences.
Americans have been buying stuff on Alibaba for years but usually you have to buy in bulk and wait for it to ship from China, great if you have some money to invest. Amazon is more convenient, they have their shipping methods dialed in pretty tight and can guarantee fast delivery.
I was going to be cute and suggest "Because it's run by 40 Thieves."

But seriously folks, the more plausible explanation is when I first saw the name I thought of trade routes and world commerce and so forth.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:32 PM

555 posts, read 803,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
OK, I just asked a friend of mine who is Chinese to pronounce alibaba. I know she can pronounce "L" as her first name begins with "L." She looked at "alibaba" (which I had in printing). She pronounced it "ar-i-ba-ba" initially. I told her that she was not pronouncing the "L" in the word...and to try again. She struggled with it, and had to pronounced it very slowly syllable by syllable to get the "L" correctly. BTW, she speaks Mandarin. Apparently, some Chinese people do have problems pronouncing the "L" in the middle of a word. She has been over here about 10 years now.
Sorry, but this is hard to believe. A person speaking Chinese can say words and sentences in a rapid fire manner with plenty of L sounds in the middle and would not have any problems doing so. Happens all the time in daily speech. Maybe your friend is speech impaired. Just because she can't speak properly doesn't mean one billion+ people in the world share her impairment. Ask a Chinese person who can speak like a normal person to repeat Bruce Lee's Chinese name ten times over in rapid succession and that person will have no problem. You make it sound as if a person would have to pause before the "Lee" every time. LOL Say Coca Cola in Chinese /ke kO ke le/ twenty times over and no one will have any problems.

In fact, Mandarin also has the R sound. It's similar to the English R sound, but the tongue is farther back in the mouth. R's are very interesting around the world. For example, the German R is quite different from the English R sound, yet it's still an R sound. The R in Mandarin is similar in that regard. Cantonese does not have this R sound. Both Mandarin and Cantonese, widely spoken Chinese dialects, utilize the L sound regularly.

I don't expect people in English language countries to get this. So many people have been fed misinformation for so long and they don't bother trying to educate themselves.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:52 PM

296 posts, read 438,875 times
ovi8, baba means dad in many indo-aryan languages e.g urdu, hindi, punjabi, farsi etc and possibly in pashto/arabic too. I'm not too sure whether it means the same in chinese.

alibaba and 40 thieves is a very well known storyline in the Indian sub-continent and its pronounced ali (aa-lee) and ba-ba (as in ba ba black sheep). That is not an Americanized version as you describe it.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:22 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Why is an American company called Amazon?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:24 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
I always wondered about that, now I see. Pretty interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events