Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:21 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times

Advertisements

I hate the semi annual changing of the clocks in the fall and spring.

I would prefer we stay on daylight savings time (meaning hours in the summer). I know Colorado tried to change it a few years ago but the amendment did not pass.

I believe there are still a few states that don't observe DST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 08:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Arizona is the only state that has it right. This no longer is relevant and makes sense. I vote to stay on DST as well. I get very sad when it gets dark out at 5pm or earlier. It's not natural!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:56 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Arizona is the only state that has it right. This no longer is relevant and makes sense. I vote to stay on DST as well. I get very sad when it gets dark out at 5pm or earlier. It's not natural!
It's very natural.

On the shortest day (ie, daylight) of the year, the sun in Phoenix is up for 9 hours 56 minutes. Centering the daylight day on noon would result in this day (it's actually six days, when the amount of daylight hits its annual ebb) gives a sunset time of 4:58 pm. Of course, since time zones are 15-degrees wide, on average, the precise time will vary somewhat depending on a city's location within its zone. But for points well above the tropics - as is all of Arizona - this is perfectly normal.

Standard time keeps the sunrise from being ridiculously late in the winter.
Daylight time maximizes sunlight in the summer.

The price? A pair of one-hour shifts. How anyone finds such things onerous is beyond me. As far as burdens or hassles go, it's the equivalent of a hangnail.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I hate the time change and it makes no sense at all. I live in the mountains so it starts getting dusk dark at 4pm during Daylight Standard Time. I would love for Daylight Savings Time to be year around.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's very natural.

On the shortest day (ie, daylight) of the year, the sun in Phoenix is up for 9 hours 56 minutes. Centering the daylight day on noon would result in this day (it's actually six days, when the amount of daylight hits its annual ebb) gives a sunset time of 4:58 pm. Of course, since time zones are 15-degrees wide, on average, the precise time will vary somewhat depending on a city's location within its zone. But for points well above the tropics - as is all of Arizona - this is perfectly normal.

Standard time keeps the sunrise from being ridiculously late in the winter.
Daylight time maximizes sunlight in the summer.

The price? A pair of one-hour shifts. How anyone finds such things onerous is beyond me. As far as burdens or hassles go, it's the equivalent of a hangnail.
Ok maybe natural was the wrong word.

But I'll sacrifice an early sunrise to get a late sunset. I'd rather have it get light at 8am and dark at 6pm then light at 7am and dark at 5pm.

It's the equivalent of a hangnail to you but others may find it more burdensome. I go to work when it's dark and get home when it's dark. Not fun.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:37 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I always thought working folks deserve an hour of daylight. I always thought we should stay on DST.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:38 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
It takes up to a week for my body to adjust. And hate it that it makes the days feel really long in the Nov and really short in April (at least for a week)

Just keep one time and leave it alone.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:42 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Hawaii doesn't observe DST either.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:01 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Arizona is the only state that has it right. This no longer is relevant and makes sense.
Actually yes and no. Of course they are right to reject daylight savings time, but being one of only two states not to recognize it, just creates more problems then is solves. Basically to avoid having to change their clocks, the entire state of Arizona moves from the Mountain Time Zone to the Pacific Time Zone for half the year. What a mess.

Problem is that transportation companies need to have one uniform time system. So they need to recognize daylight savings time, even if the local area does not. So two times a year every transportation schedule (airlines, trains, interstate busses) in Arizona needs to be adjusted by one hour. Then six months later it reverts back to the original schedule.

National broadcasting is the same. How would you like to have the time of every cable TV program you watch change by one hour, only to change back to the original time six months later. What a nightmare.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:29 AM

560 posts, read 752,109 times
The problem here is that without the shift, its dark at like 7am in Boston during the winter. Dark on the way home from work too. Depressing.

We are far enough east to maybe be on AST vs EST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events