Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulblueskies View Post
YES!!! I can totally understand and appreciate Gender Identity Disorder … makes sense to me …. Gender Dysphoria: What It Is and How It's Treated
How is it a disorder if they were born with female brains? How's that any different from an hermaphrodite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:43 PM

778 posts, read 823,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulblueskies View Post
YES!!! I can totally understand and appreciate Gender Identity Disorder … makes sense to me …. Gender Dysphoria: What It Is and How It's Treated
Yep, it used to be Gender Identity Disorder, but it's been updated to Gender Dysphoria. There actually looks to be a lot of good information on there, thanks for sharing the link!

Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 PM

778 posts, read 823,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think people would define you as a "pan-sexual".
I actually define myself as pansexual, but I default to saying bisexual in a lot of conversations, since I usually have to follow the former up with a full explanation of what it means.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 PM

92 posts, read 101,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
I covered that in part in my reply to kayanne. Maybe you could check it out?
I just finished the entire thread. Next time, I'll read all seven pages before posting. Thank you.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
How is it a disorder if they were born with female brains? How's that any different from an hermaphrodite?
I see now that the term has changed. Regardless of the name, I can totally understand that particular concept of feeling like a different gender than what is expected of one's sex. It is more so changing one's sex , because of their gender concerns that I don't understand, but that's neither here nor there.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Yep, it used to be Gender Identity Disorder, but it's been updated to Gender Dysphoria. There actually looks to be a lot of good information on there, thanks for sharing the link!
Thanks. I see the change now.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:51 AM

6,386 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Quote:
Today is Transgender Day of Remembrance. It is an annual event to mourn the loss and commemorate the lives of the trans* people who have been murdered in the previous year.

Why do we need such a day? Trans people experience a great deal of violence: physical, emotional, and sexual. They are, possibly more than any other minority group in the United States, very likely to be murdered simply for being who they are.

For example, the odds of a man being murdered in the U.S. is around 1 in 13,500. While exact numbers are hard to pin down, it's often said the murder risk for trans people is 1 in 12. It's measured as being 50% higher than LGB people, despite the fact trans people make up roughly .3% of the overall population.

I would venture to say most people are unaware of or are mis-educated about trans people. I hope this might be a small way to get some folks thinking about trans people and the issues they face day to day.

Here are some links about TDOR itself. The first link includes the names of those murdered this year and in previous years.
About TDOR | Transgender Day of Remembrance
Transgender Day of Remembrance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Transgender Day of Remembrance #TDOR - November 20 | GLAAD

These are a few good introductory sources about trans* people and trans issues.
Transgender 101 | GLAAD
Trans 101 | I Am: Trans People Speak
Transgender - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And finally, here's an interesting photo essay that shows trans people from different walks of life. Ignore the eye-rollingly hyperbolic title.
14 Beautiful Photos That Will Change How You See Gender Forever

1 in 13k for men and 1 in TWELVE for Transgender?

Both are pretty freaking high! I had no idea.

Playing the lottery seems pretty futile today.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
1 in 13k for men and 1 in TWELVE for Transgender?

Both are pretty freaking high! I had no idea.

Playing the lottery seems pretty futile today.
There are not as many transgenders people as there are men, so when a transgender person is killed it's going to make up a higher percentage of their population as oppose to the general male population.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:36 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Why would what they choose to do to their own bodies bother you in any shape, way, or form? Seems like the problem is you, not them.
Yes, we know that some want to send us to a shrink, but that simply muddies the issue .

Those "confused" about their sexuality (clearly one or the other absent an anomaly) need therapy. That is the compassionate thing to do. And, perhaps, this day of commemoration should include those who commited suicide.

Just a little something to think about.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:39 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Why would what they choose to do to their own bodies bother you in any shape, way, or form? Seems like the problem is you, not them.
I dont' care what people do with their own bodies and lives, I persoanlly don't care for them trying to change society when it comes to bathrooms, wanting to change their gener on drivers licenses, compete in sports as the opposite sex, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events