Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times

Advertisements

He's lucky it wasn't my daughter he assaulted. Writer her up, send her to the principle, whatever. What he did was way out of line, and he doesn't deserve to be teaching children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 09:54 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsettomati View Post

Right.

Because we're no longer what we used to be.

And what was that?

A country that enslaved an entire race.
A country that herd another race onto reservations, where they could either die of abuse during the herding or neglect upon arrival.
A country that had no child-labor laws, so children toiled and died in mines and textile mills.
A country where it was fully legal in all 50 states for a man to rape his wife.
A country where a gay person who dared admit it was either killed or imprisoned.

Newsflash: This country, while far from perfect, is better than it has ever been. You're confusing subjective nostalgia for objective reality. Why any rational, thinking person pines for 'the old days' is beyond me.

Ps - doing things a certain way merely because that's how they were done yesterday is a logically nonsensical way of determining how things should be done.
amen!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Sorry, but no. A teacher does not get to lay hands on a student unless the student represents a physical threat. She was being obnoxious? Give her detention, a suspension, whatever. I wouldn't even have gotten mad - just send her away and focus on the kids who are actually participating. The problem here was that the teacher invested his ego into "winning" the confrontation rather than doing his job.

Yes, he should be fired. I don't care what other people's teachers did to them in years past. It's not acceptable NOW.

If she'd hit her head, this could have had a very ugly outcome. And let's not even get into how creepy the idea of a grown man dragging around a mostly naked teenaged girl is.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:30 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Im sorry but when i was in school there was no telling the teachers or the parents what you would/wouldnt do. They said do it and thats what you did. Just had her hair done? My teachers and parents wouldnt have given a rats butt. Get in or get thrown in was how it was for us. My dad wouldve helped the teacher throw me in.

Heck why even have teachers there to begin with if the kids are going to decide what they will and wont do?

Children do not make the rules.
To answer your question:

Because teaching is not a forceful thing. If you need force to teach someone something, that isn't teaching, it is something else.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:34 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Of course it was the wrong thing to do. The snot should have been punished for not getting in the water and mouthing off to the teacher or coach.

That said, had I acted like she did when I was in school, I'd have also had my parents to answer to.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:47 PM

919 posts, read 848,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
This country has always been going to hell in a hand-basket.
Ayup. And exactly how big is this hand basket?

Old 11-25-2014, 01:12 PM

734 posts, read 1,081,914 times
He should have just wrote her up and sent her to the office.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:28 PM

672 posts, read 789,496 times
It is not ok for any teacher to lay their hands on a student with the exception of if that student is endangering someone or themselves or if that student is in danger of being harmed or is already harmed, and the teacher is removing them from a dangerous situation. Period. It's really very simple. To try to physically compel a student to do something that they are not willing to do is unacceptable. It isn't ok now, and it wasn't ok "back then". Teachers, and other figures of authority, got away with it because there wasn't video evidence back then like there is now.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:32 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
It's beyond "not a smart thing to be doing." It's flat out assault and battery. If it were my child he would have been arrested.
If that were my child I'd have been arrested.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:49 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
What about the other students? Why did they just stand there? At that age, I would have protested, called 911, screamed in his face, anything to stop the bully. Anyone hits me, I hit back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events