Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:19 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just saw a small bottle of non-Rx Ibuprofen and it said "Gluten free" on it. I thought gluten was only dangerous to people with celiac disease, which is like 1% of people. Is something else going on or is it insanity like people buying pet rocks?

There's a South Park episode called "Gluten Free Ebola." I haven't seen it, but it indicates the latest fads or insecurities.
OP, the herd mentality is nothing new to humanity.

People see an idea, and although it applies to a small percentage of people, most, en masse, go will go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 11:20 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
everything has gone wrong in my life. my wife left me, my car broke down, got kicked out of my apartment. I am 100 pounds overweight/diabetic and I cannot perform sexually. I think its because I ate some gluten.
lmbo!!!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I think I'll have some gluten for lunch.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:14 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just saw a small bottle of non-Rx Ibuprofen and it said "Gluten free" on it. I thought gluten was only dangerous to people with celiac disease, which is like 1% of people. Is something else going on or is it insanity like people buying pet rocks?

There's a South Park episode called "Gluten Free Ebola." I haven't seen it, but it indicates the latest fads or insecurities.
My family suffers from Lyme Disease. When you have this, it is recommended to cut out Gluten as it feeds Lyme bacteria. We have also all tested positive for gluten sensitivity. When I have gluten, I get severe migraine headaches as it causes an inflammation response in my body.

I am so thankful that there are medications that are allergen free now.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:23 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
I haven't read the whole post but I have celiac disease and I am very happy for the labelling. There is another condition "gluten sensitivity" which can be genetically proven and I have that as well.

If a company knows something is gluten free, labeling it saves people like me spending hours in the grocery stores phoning the company to find out. It also creates more sales for them as if I don't know I can't take a chance, and if I'm in a hurry, or it's after hours, I can't get an answer.

Eating gluten free is not a way to lose weight, especially if you eat the processed foods as gluten free grains are WAY more high glycemic than non gluten free grains.

For celiacs, knowing if there's gluten in a product is as important as a person with peanut allergies knowing if there are peanuts present. Cross contamination is huge too.

PS 1% of the world's population is a lot of people!!!!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:59 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,105,447 times
It's not gluten hysteria - a lot of people find they feel better when they don't eat gluten. So they don't eat it. What does anyone else care?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
It's not gluten hysteria - a lot of people find they feel better when they don't eat gluten. So they don't eat it. What does anyone else care?
This is true, but at the same time it may not be the gluten at all. My sister has jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon (not for health reasons,) and she says that it makes her feel better. I get the feeling she feels better because she's eating less bread and fewer baked goods and more fruits and vegetables and lean protein. She's cleaned up her diet a lot--gluten was never the problem.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:12 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is true, but at the same time it may not be the gluten at all. My sister has jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon (not for health reasons,) and she says that it makes her feel better. I get the feeling she feels better because she's eating less bread and fewer baked goods and more fruits and vegetables and lean protein. She's cleaned up her diet a lot--gluten was never the problem.
You may be right, you may not be. You can't be certain. Perhaps the problem was gluten. What does it matter to you?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:13 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You may be right, you may not be. You can't be certain. Perhaps the problem was gluten. What does it matter to you?
It doesn't. Aren't we all just having a conversation here?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:34 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It doesn't. Aren't we all just having a conversation here?
But this is the problem. People seem to derive great pleasure from declaring other people WRONG about their own gluten intolerance. But these critics don't really know (it's incredibly arrogant to presume that they have a better knowledge of someone else's body), and it's not their business anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events