Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 08:34 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,879,089 times

Advertisements

Let me say first of all that I am absolutely crazy about all animals. We have 3 cats at home, two are my Sons and one is mine. I could never harm an animal, and when I have had to make that horrible decision to have an old/sick cat put to sleep I cried like a baby for days.

But I can see the woman's point on some level. I have also worried that if I pass what will happen to my cat Lucky. I am the only one who really is with him all the time, and I worry that he would not have the same great care given to him if I die. I could never have him put to sleep just because I die, but it is a concern of mine about his welfare after I go.

She evidently loved the dog and knows he would be put down anyway, due to his nature, so she is attempting to make a loving decision about his future.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 08:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,484,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The question is can a will request an illegal act???

In most states you can not just kill a dog.

At one times I wanted our labs put down if my husband and I died.

I had a deep fear of then not being taking care of...........as soon as I could I put money away for their care if we should not out live them.

We have outlived them.

My husband's dog was cremated........his request is to have here ashes mixed with his and sprinkled in the woods they loved to walk in together.
The answer to your question is no. A will is a legal contract. There are five stipulations to make a contract legal in order for it to be carried out in a court of law and one of them it that there can be nothing illegal in it. If the state mandates healthy animals cannot be put down, it can't be done but I don't agree with you that most states have a law that covers this situation. Unfortunately, shelters do it all the time because of overcrowding. I believe an individual can take an animal to a vet and have the animal put down even it it is healthy but that would be something for a court to decide if her will is challenged.

Now having said all of that, it's been brought up that the dog is mean and hard to handle. If it winds up in a shelter it could be put down anyway. Maybe she had that in mind when she made her request. Not all animals are capable of being place in loving homes. While she is still alive, if she is able, the woman might want to think about making arrangements to have the dog trained to be more adoptable.

She could also if she could afford to, put it in a place where they keep a pet forever after the owner dies. These places will provide for any type of animal with any typr of personality as long as you leave them some sort of donation. They have trained staff to deal with all kinds of personalities.

A friend of mine died of Cancer and before she was buried her old kitty who was also suffering from Cancer died as well. Both were cremated and their ashes, like your husband's and his dog's were spread together in the woods where my friend liked to hike.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:27 PM

555 posts, read 805,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Make a statue of that dog and bury it with her. Hey, if it was good enough for the first emperor of China, it's good enough for her.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:33 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,559,685 times
If they CAN find a good home for the dog, I think he should be able to live his life as long as possible. After he dies or is put to sleep, then cremate him and then bury his ashes beside hers.

If they CAN'T find a good home for him, then instead of living the rest of his life in a cage in a shelter amongst strangers, then it's kinder to put him down, and stick with her wishes.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:51 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,353,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think she should find a caring family to adopt her dog.
Where, in Zombieland?

Old 12-19-2014, 11:48 PM

108 posts, read 114,750 times
What kind of freak she is. Out of mind truly.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:49 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,861,508 times
If the owner, who knew the dog best, reasonably feared that the dog could harm someone and that belief was shared by a veterinarian familiar with the dog then the two alternatives specified by the owner must be decided upon. Virtually no one has suggested that the euthanasia alternative be chosen so the choice is clear.

Best Friends in Utah has said they will take the dog and with all the people interested there should be no problem raising the funds needed to transport the animal. In fact, the story will probably raise much more money than required which can then be used to assist other pets with no place to go. From the way I look at it, the owner has tried to do what's best for her dog, even in death.

People, like the one posted just above, would do well to read the story before making ignorant comments.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:24 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,907,081 times
I find it hilarious a "dead" woman wants anything.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:03 AM

319 posts, read 613,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
She's dead, she's not going to know the difference. Let the dog live out its life. Then bury it in the same grave site. Her wishes are still honored. No disrespect has been given.

All life means something.

My 2 pennies.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:23 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think she should find a caring family to adopt her dog.
Exactly how does a dead person go about doing that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events