Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 12:59 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times

Advertisements

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...215341232.html

I thought it would be a great idea to post this story on here given the amount of negative publicity that these athletes get. Michael Vick will likely forever be known as one of the most polarizing athletes of our time and his actions years ago were certainly awful, but there is no question, at least to the mostly rationale and sane people out there, that he has truly turned his life around and this story is a great example of it.

Quote:
As ESPN notes, Vick opted to go with Chapter 11 rather than Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which meant he paid back all that he owed, not a small percentage. To him, it was an important and necessary step to demonstrate his willingness to atone. The deal with creditors is set to expire at the end of the year, and Vick will likely sell some property to close off the last of his debt.

"I feel blessed because I came out and found myself in a position where I had a lot of people that really believed in me, people who gave me an opportunity," Vick said. "At the time, it wasn't about trying to fulfill all the bankruptcy needs, I was trying to fulfill all the needs that I had in my life because I had nothing."

Last edited by justtitans; 12-19-2014 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 01:37 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,256 times
Chapter 11 does not result in someone paying back 'all that they owe'. They pay back a percentage of their debts that a bankruptcy trustee determines they can pay, along with agreements by creditors to accept the reduced amount: with numerous concessions being made - like reductions of interest rates, removal of previous penalties and interest, etc. If he had the ability to actually pay off $18 million he would have never had to file a Chapter 11. And by the way: a Chapter 11 is for a corporation, if he as an individual filed something similiar, it would have been a Chapter 13.

Cool story though.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:41 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
dude's mind is pernamently broken and there's no fixing that, he'll be back on the police blotter again

Old 12-19-2014, 01:44 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
dude's mind is pernamently broken and there's no fixing that, he'll be back on the police blotter again
So you mean that people can't change? That mean that if you do something wrong, you are basically hopeless?

Old 12-19-2014, 01:45 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,256 times
Quote:
Above statement made: due to ethnicity of Vick.

At least the CD posters in this forum are consistent.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:54 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
So you mean that people can't change? That mean that if you do something wrong, you are basically hopeless?
I don't buy that this dude woke up one day and said, "hey, maybe drowning, electrocuting and fighting dogs wasn't the right thing to do after all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Above statement made: due to ethnicity of Vick.

At least the CD posters in this forum are consistent.
that's a hoot, coming from someone like you

Old 12-19-2014, 02:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Quote:
I don't buy that this dude woke up one day and said, "hey, maybe drowning, electrocuting and fighting dogs wasn't the right thing to do after all"

I'm not convinced either. If he hadn't been in the position of having to clean up his public image so he could continue a lucrative football career, he very likely would still be involved in dog fighting. He had no choice but to 'repent' and denounce his previous actions.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:10 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:

Isn't that what the Department of Corrections is supposed to correct? Are system supposes that there can be change

Old 12-19-2014, 02:27 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
for the Vick apologists who say he did his time, blah blah blah.....

keep in mind that he did not serve ONE SINGLE MINUTE of time for animal torture or abuse.... it was for gambling or not paying taxes on his gambling winnings or some equally stupid thing.....

so technically, he has no record for the torture and abuse he inflicted upon creatures dependent on him for their lives....

Old 12-19-2014, 03:27 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
for the Vick apologists who say he did his time, blah blah blah.....

keep in mind that he did not serve ONE SINGLE MINUTE of time for animal torture or abuse.... it was for gambling or not paying taxes on his gambling winnings or some equally stupid thing.....

so technically, he has no record for the torture and abuse he inflicted upon creatures dependent on him for their lives....
Where did you find this stuff? He was indeed sent to jail directly related to the abuse and dog fighting. After all, he plead guilty.

Animal Fighting Case Study: Michael Vick | Animal Legal Defense Fund
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events