Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:29 AM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There was video of a corvette crash that's been around on crazy video shows for decades.

Guy stole it, they have a police helicopter up above filming.

Guy loses control swerving around cars, smashes into a semi and the car disintegrates leaving him sitting on the side of the road unscathed.

Oh well, lucky day.
Here it is.
Corvette Crashes Into Semi At 165MPH | Video | Break.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Looks like NOT wearing a seatbelt saved that dude's life.

I believe that we all have an expiration date and if it's not your time to go, nothing will change that.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:14 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Looks like NOT wearing a seatbelt saved that dude's life.

I believe that we all have an expiration date and if it's not your time to go, nothing will change that.
So, if a doctor tells you that you need surgery to save your life, it doesn't matter if you have the surgery or not?
If you lie down in the middle of a freeway in the dark of night, and it's not your "expiration date," you will not die when cars run over you?
Would you walk at night, all alone, in dangerous parts of town known for drive-by shootings and other murders, because "if it's not your time to go, NOTHING (even your own stupidity &/or recklessness) will change that?

I'm not trying to be rude; I'm just really trying to understand this kind of thinking.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM

50,787 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
So, if a doctor tells you that you need surgery to save your life, it doesn't matter if you have the surgery or not?
If you lie down in the middle of a freeway in the dark of night, and it's not your "expiration date," you will not die when cars run over you?
Would you walk at night, all alone, in dangerous parts of town known for drive-by shootings and other murders, because "if it's not your time to go, NOTHING (even your own stupidity &/or recklessness) will change that?

I'm not trying to be rude; I'm just really trying to understand this kind of thinking.
Not to speak for OP, but it seems to me she/he's just making a statement about life in general, nowhere did they recommend people make life decisions based on it. You seem to be assuming that because "if it's your time you can't stop it" to mean the opposite must also be true, that you can't die unless it's some pre-ordained time and so you can walk in front of trains...that's a huge leap and IMO OP said nothing like this. It's just a saying about how random life and death is and little we are actually in control of.

We can't know about or stop a random event that causes you to be standing under the scaffolding that drops from the side of a building onto your head...it was just your time, your bad luck, you being in the perfect place and time and having no idea....that doesn't in any way mean you can't kill yourself earlier than that by walking in front of a train. I think maybe yo;u re taking it too literally. It's quite a common saying.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-22-2015 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Not to speak for OP, but it seems to me she/he's just making a statement about life in general, nowhere did they recommend people make life decisions based on it. You seem to be assuming that because "if it's your time you can't stop it" to mean the opposite must also be true, that you can't die unless it's some pre-ordained time and so you can walk in front of trains...that's a huge leap and IMO OP said nothing like this. It's just a saying about how random life and death is and little we are actually in control of.

We can't know about or stop a random event that causes you to be standing under the scaffolding that drops from the side of a building onto your head...it was just your time, your bad luck, you being in the perfect place and time and having no idea....that doesn't in any way mean you can't kill yourself earlier than that by walking in front of a train. I think maybe yo;u re taking it too literally. It's quite a common saying.
The person I quoted did not say "if it's your time you can't stop it." In fact she did say the opposite.

Many fundamentalists (which I once was) do believe that literally. The pastor of the church I attended for many years taught that as literal, though I never could fully accept it. That's why I asked her about her thinking on it.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:25 AM

50,787 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
The person I quoted did not say "if it's your time you can't stop it." In fact she did say the opposite.

Many fundamentalists (which I once was) do believe that literally. The pastor of the church I attended for many years taught that as literal, though I never could fully accept it. That's why I asked her about her thinking on it.
You're right, I read it wrong, sorry.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:

Well, if a doctor can save your life with a particular surgery, then obviously, it isn't your time to go. If the doctor operates and fails, then it was your time to go. Not really that hard to figure out what he/she was getting at.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Well, if a doctor can save your life with a particular surgery, then obviously, it isn't your time to go. If the doctor operates and fails, then it was your time to go. Not really that hard to figure out what he/she was getting at.
So it all has to do with whether or not it was your "time to go"? The skill of the doctor had nothing to do with it? The poor choices that a person makes, contributing to poor health, has nothing to do with lifespan? There is some pre-ordained timetable that determines when each person will die, and no human actions have any bearing on that pre-determined date to die?

Old 01-23-2015, 10:02 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
So it all has to do with whether or not it was your "time to go"? The skill of the doctor had nothing to do with it? The poor choices that a person makes, contributing to poor health, has nothing to do with lifespan? There is some pre-ordained timetable that determines when each person will die, and no human actions have any bearing on that pre-determined date to die?
Wow, you REALLY look into things WAY too far. It is nothing more than a figure of speech that zoomed about 5 miles over your head. I bet you are the type of person that when someone says "holy s..t", you wonder how it became holy. You contemplate whether a priest blessed it or possible blessed the animal that left said s..t.

In other words... lighten up Francis.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:14 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Yes, that is basically what I was saying. Thank you. Suicide, on the other hand is a whole 'nother thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events