Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:57 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
This is why I steer clear of CL. Someone told me I could have sold my old washer/dryer when the new ones came via CL for a few hundred. Sorry not worth having someone show up at my house with a truck, come in and see my home and possibly plot for a later date.
I share this opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 10:35 PM

421 posts, read 411,185 times
Mathguy

Quote:
Back in the day it would be some call from a payphone and then meet at some parking lot....no cameras....blah blah blah.

Today it's MUCH safer IMO.
We have had classified ads in local and national papers for a lot of years and I don't remember seeing accounts of anything like this and people didn't meet in parking lots, they met a seller's/buyer's home. It's the times we live in. A more desperate time where there are
way too many crack heads and twisted immoral people.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
News update, Sheriff: Bodies identified as missing Georgia couple; suspect charged with murder, robbery

Officials Tuesday identified two bodies found near their car in a Georgia pond as as an elderly couple who had driven to the area to buy a classic Mustang.

Telfair County Sheriff Chris Steverson said 69-year-old Elrey "Bud" Runion and his 66-year-old wife, June, were shot to death and that 28-year-old Ronnie Adrian "Jay" Towns of McRae has been charged with malice murder and armed robbery.

Sheriff: Bodies identified as missing Georgia couple; suspect charged with murder, robbery | Fox News

Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 PM

Um, I think we already heard that?

Old 01-27-2015, 11:09 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandphi View Post
Mathguy

We have had classified ads in local and national papers for a lot of years and I don't remember seeing accounts of anything like this and people didn't meet in parking lots, they met a seller's/buyer's home. It's the times we live in. A more desperate time where there are
way too many crack heads and twisted immoral people.
Perception bias to a large degree.

Population since then has tripled and the internet age means that sensational stories like this make the national media when previously it did not.

If you care to refute this, please post national crime rates for key categories PER POPULATION.

Let's discuss facts. Not perceptions.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 PM

132 posts, read 140,651 times
Condolences to the family. May the culprit swing or choke.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:41 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
It's moments like this that I wish we still used electric chairs.

But oh... That would just so cruel to do.

This world needs to get it's balls back.

Electric chair is fine, but I prefer an old fashioned hanging in the town square. The public should watch as this animal swings from a rope. The only way to deter this kind of cruel crime is to show the entire world what happens to people who do such evil. I think yall have the death penalty in GA right?? Here in TN we do.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
If you care to refute this, please post national crime rates for key categories PER POPULATION.

Let's discuss facts. Not perceptions.
huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider
This is why I steer clear of CL. Someone told me I could have sold my old washer/dryer when the new ones came via CL for a few hundred. Sorry not worth having someone show up at my house with a truck, come in and see my home and possibly plot for a later date.

Mathguy
I share this opinion.

Mathguy

Quote:
Back in the day it would be some call from a payphone and then meet at some parking lot....no cameras....blah blah blah.
Today it's MUCH safer IMO.
You seem to not be able to make up your mind. If you wish to research
"national crime rates for key categories PER POPULATION,"
be my guest. not really into it myself. Neither am I interested in educating you so you can
make up your mind. Do your own studying.

Biased? Possibly. By a large degree? That is your perception.

We still had news before Craig's List and if a person selling a couch(or whatever) was found with a bullet in his head after placing an ad, it would have been in the news.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:43 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
So sad on so many levels. I am the same age as the guy who died, and we came up in a different time and basically trust people. It never enters our mind that there are idiots out there who would do something like this for a little money.

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on CL and, while you do meet some odd people, they usually are just flakes and either don't show up or who try to beat you down pricewise.

I feel so sorry for the family of these two very nice folks. I hope that idiot gets the chair.

Don

Old 01-28-2015, 05:52 AM

389 posts, read 426,727 times
So sorry to hear this. Sounds like they were great peoole. So senseless. Feel bad for their family and friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events