Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:18 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
How likely is it that he took the stuff inappropriately because of the pressure to get good grades to get into the best college?
The article stated it was gaining popularity for it's use in boosting athletic performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 12:41 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The article stated it was gaining popularity for it's use in boosting athletic performance.
Was he an athlete?

Old 03-08-2015, 02:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I read about this last summer. Teens who use this in this manner know what they are doing. That's why they do it. Maybe there isn't a warning label that says "Don't snort this" but then again, coffee is meant for drinking not for sniffing. Are manufacturers supposed to put a label on every product just because some idiots think up ways to abuse the products?

I mean, are we going to see "Caution! Inhaling milk up your nose can cause drowning!" on milk cartons or "Danger! Eating a gallon of Ben and Jerry's can make you sick!"

One thing there is on the package is instructions telling how much too use. It's just common sense that you don't use more that the instructions give. Too much caffeine under any circumstances is harmful. Maybe his parents should have told him that.

The parents say they just want to warn others. Sorry, parents the kids already know you can get buzzed on this. If they want to get the word out to other parents there's a thing called Face Book and the Internet and other Social Media. They don't have to sue anyone nor is it necessary to force a company to put a warning label on what should be a perfectly harmless product just because their kid didn't have the sense to use it only for that which it was meant to be used. Besides, what good is a label going to do? What kid is going to pay attention to a label if he or she wants to use the product to get high or whatever?

Old 03-08-2015, 04:37 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

The parents say they just want to warn others. ....
LOL yeah. They are looking for a big payout. The rest is just nonsense justification for it.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:51 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I know about Hard Rhino they offer supplements in bulk powder form which one is supposed to weigh for their own particular application as in making capsules.etc. They are not retail packaged.
Caffeine powder is typical in pre-workout stimulates and one can make their own by mixing powders which lowers the overall cost compared to purchasing straight retail.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I wonder, are there any warnings on the package?
Does the package or the proper usage insert describe the consequences of taking too much?
Is there any possibility of suicide?
If I were on that jury, I would have LOTS of questions for both sides!

OK, one question answered:

Read the list of warnings and cautions.

Let's see:

Directions: Take 1 scoop (1,000 mg) with 8 oz of water or beverage (do not mix with other caffeinated beverages). Each 1 serving of 1,000mg product, contains 200mg of caffeine.

Same dosage as 1 tablet of NoDoz which has been on the market for decades.

Help Stay Awake & Alert | NoDoz® Alertness Aid Caffeine Caplets

He had 23X in his system, so basically he took an extra 22 doses of it.

So let's see what we have: Illegal use of an Amazon account (parents credit card associated with account) & can't read. So basically a Brain Donor.

fwiw
Documented Deaths By Caffeine

Old 03-08-2015, 05:07 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Have seen some kids at the gym have negative reactions from retail packaged pre-workouts. It is not pretty.

I recall over the previous few years there have been a few cases of overdosing on caffeine leading to death among college kids drinking too many of those caffeine laden drinks.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:23 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Some people at work who were hooked on these drinks were extremely annoying to be around. Years of misuse makes them jittery and obnoxious not to mention the health problems down the road.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:26 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Yeah, maybe I should go out and buy some detergent-pods, eat them, then claim I ate them because they looked like candy!!!!!!!!!!

Sad that this young man died! I really don't see how anyone else is at fault?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 PM

948 posts, read 921,028 times
Most people I know only take caffeine supplements if they haven't been getting enough sleep; or if they need to stay up, like to work a double shift or cram for a big test on a class they didn't study for. I used to tutor a junior high boy who was always taking caffeine because his parents had him studying all the time.

Why did this kid feel the need to take a huge dose of caffeine a few days before graduation?

Last edited by tlarnla; 03-08-2015 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events