Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 08:54 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times

Advertisements

The bill clearly states "citizens who are armed must stay within 100 feet away when filming an officer". So? Don't see what the big deal is.

However, I think this bill is a bit over reaching. There are already Interference with Law Enforcement Officer statues which can be applied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 09:20 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,530 times
Other states have tried this, and the courts have shot it down. When cops are in a public space, their expectation of privacy vanishes, just as it does with anyone else. Wearing a badge doesn't put them above the law, as much as they seem to think it does. The courts have said that as long as the filmer is not interfering with the cop's ability to do his job, there's no problem.

We all know the rationale behind this bill. It's not to keep cops safe. It's so they can abuse their power without being documented. It's the exact same reason so many states have tried to ban filming inside factory farms. They don't want the truth to be seen.

Video evidence is a great disinfectant.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:32 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Oh for God's sake. Get a grip! It says filming will be illegal within 25 feet of the police. Big deal. That's not a great distance. Stand at a distance of 26 feet, and film away.

In reality, the cops don't want you in their way, making a pest of yourself... and since people have no common sense or respect for anybody else in today's world, laws must be passed to prevent you from interfering.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:57 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Oh for God's sake. Get a grip! It says filming will be illegal within 25 feet of the police. Big deal. That's not a great distance. Stand at a distance of 26 feet, and film away.

In reality, the cops don't want you in their way, making a pest of yourself... and since people have no common sense or respect for anybody else in today's world, laws must be passed to prevent you from interfering.
As has been noted by others, it really isn't about that. It's about not wanting any filming period. The stories you read about officers trying to confiscate cameras or phones on the scene of certain events suggests as much.

And, I can say, living in TX, I don't know what it is, but people around here, not just cops, are PARANOID about cameras. They fight hard for the right to carry a GUN in public, yet somehow CAMERAS scare them, which is silly. Go to a lake in the city and try and take photos of the ducks, 5 minutes maximum someone's going to be yelling "PERVERT!!" One person called the police on a guy at the park for taking photos--of his own grandchildren (not that it's illegal or indecent to photograph other children anyway).

For awhile they had an unconstitutional "Improper Photography" statute which basically meant that if a woman was wearing a bikini at the lake you pretty much better not take any photos at the lake at all, else according to the law you're invading someone's privacy for your sexual gratification. Finally, last year, the law was struck down due to its obvious lack of constitutional muster. As others said--if you don't want to end up incidentally in photos while wearing a bikini, then don't wear one in public where there is zero expectation of privacy.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:55 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
The bill clearly states "citizens who are armed must stay within 100 feet away when filming an officer". So? Don't see what the big deal is.

However, I think this bill is a bit over reaching. There are already Interference with Law Enforcement Officer statues which can be applied.
It also says that everyone else must stay 25 feet away. Which would severely limit peoples right to film police misconduct. Example they will be too far away to pick up the sound of the victims voice say "I can't breathe, I can't breathe", while the cops are smothering him to death. And that's the type of thing murderous cops don't want to have on video.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

No you get a grip. First off, it is highly subjective. If you are 26 feet away, all the cop has to do is take one step toward you, and you are in violation of the law. Hell you could be filming police activity on the street from inside your house (say 20 feet from the street), and the cops would have a right to break down your door and arrest you for it. For all practical purposes, this would make filming cops illegal.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:26 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
No you get a grip. First off, it is highly subjective. If you are 26 feet away, all the cop has to do is take one step toward you, and you are in violation of the law. Hell you could be filming police activity on the street from inside your house (say 20 feet from the street), and the cops would have a right to break down your door and arrest you for it. For all practical purposes, this would make filming cops illegal.
KaaBoom

While I think you hate me.. well not me personally because you dont know me.. but the uniform..I actually agree with you on this one.. except we wouldn't break down your door ..I guess in an extreme case if you were fleeing and we were in pursuit,, but in real street life.. no way... this would be a misdemeanor if it ever got passed..but it wont.. no court would uphold it.. this is grandstanding by some noob politician

As far as the filming from your house scenario,,,no.. I don't think that would fly at all at any distance.. because you would be no threat if you weren't interfering.. now if you were hanging out the front door and I'm rolling around with your 300 pound girlfriend on the front stoop for beating you up and your gangsta chain was hitting me in the head because your filming me for your utube rap video .. yep.. that I would have a problem with

We are filming others who are filming us and we are all being filmed by cameras all the time

Its one big film festival already

Now.. if you got in my face.. or obstructed me that's a whole other story... but from 25 feet anyone can be an asshat all they want...

Old 03-14-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
KaaBoom

While I think you hate me.. well not me personally because you dont know me.. but the uniform..I actually agree with you on this one.. except we ..I guess in an extreme case if you were fleeing and we were in pursuit,, but in real street life.. no way... this would be a misdemeanor if it ever got passed..but it wont.. no court would uphold it.. this is grandstanding by some noob politician
I don't hate you. I hate the organization that you are a member of, and the ideology that you promote. It's anti-constitutinal, un-American, and anti-freedoom. Enforcing laws is one thing. Exerting your power over citizens, and trying to make them your slaves is just wrong. Thats what the police in this country are doing.

Now as to your statement that you wouldn't break down people's doors. The problem with that is, that there are already many videos on YouTube showing cops breaking into people home to confiscate their videos. This law just tries to make that type of conduct legal, in clear violation of multiple constitutional amendments.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:39 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
This type of thing has been passed in various states.........and shot-down by SCOTUS.
THIS. Record if you want. But be careful not to get shot.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Does not say Security Cameras. Just people. Limits distance to 25 feet or more before its OK, and if you got a gun, its 100 feet. Guess they are scared your going to shoot a cop if he does something wrong. Its a big deal because its a "foot in the door" to ban people from filming bad cops and that's no acceptable. It also gives a cop cause for confiscating your phone or Camera because its illegal, and the Cop can lie about how far you where away from him.

The fact is, Bad Cops are not going to get any better, and now they are looking for a way to hide what they may do, with Laws like this one being tested. Other States will likely try it too, if it looks like it may pass, and may just forbid it at any distance.

I have never filmed an event, but would not hesitate to do so, if I thought I needed to, law or no law. If it happens in my State, I will get a program on my smart phone that automatically sends the video home to my computer, and the cloud, for later retrieval if needed.
Most cops are shot trying to protect society. Such a uninformed comment.

In typical fashion, you'd disobey a law and then claim some higher level of authority that applies only to you.

People who disobey laws on purpose are morally and ethically compromised. Clears that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events