Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You're right. That said the perennial attempts of the state's farmers to invest in political lobbying to maximize their share of what is there rather than in using the scarce stuff more efficiently makes a situation that has always been bad worse. In a time of crisis they are doubling down on that tactic and it's kind of sad looking in from the outside and I'm sure residents driving past that sight are more than mildly perturbed.

I don't know if that's the case, but laws that say residents cant water their lawns while farms get more water is not a unfair law. Farms produce food, so they get priority over lawns.

I hope you get more rain !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 11:04 PM

950 posts, read 923,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
In the pictures The gated area is flooded and around it is dry. I am inclined to assume from the pictures that the crop they are growing there requires to flood the filed.

Yup, it looks like a rice field to me.

Rice requires the flooding of a field.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:11 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Also just recently learned of the Almond growing controversy.
I love Almonds, and love Almond mild, but maybe they shouldn't be grown in the desert.

California's Almonds Suck as Much Water Annually as Los Angeles Uses in Three Years | Mother Jones
I hear raising cows also uses up a lot of water. Perhaps not as much as almonds.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:48 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
wow, after experiencing drought in my own country that lasted over a decade......... never heard one person lay into the farmers.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:41 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
wow, after experiencing drought in my own country that lasted over a decade......... never heard one person lay into the farmers.
He's not laying into the farmers, he's laying into the idea that some people have to conserve and others do not.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:49 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I hear raising cows also uses up a lot of water. Perhaps not as much as almonds.
One hamburger requires more water than 1000 almonds. It's not even close. Honestly, this whole almond thing smell like it has been spewed by the beef industry.

1000 almonds provides 250 grams of protein, a hamburger provides 28 grams. There are 460 calories in a burger and 7000 calories in a 1000 almonds. Almonds are a way more efficient way of feeding people.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:44 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
But do water-intensive crops like rice really need to be grown in a place with no water?
OK. I understand it now. No, it isn't right.
Politics and greed are going to kill us all eventually.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
Part of the problem is WHERE these farms are located. I come from Jersey - the soil there is amazing. You poke seeds into the ground, and harvest a couple months later. That's all there is to it. Even when there's a drought, it's not THAT big of a deal. Places like California and Colorado (where I live now) are not optimal places for farming, yet they are huge farming areas, with farming operations that require intensive amounts of water. Meanwhile, almost all the farms are gone from Jersey because of development. This country didn't protect farming as an occupation or for the sake of the nation's food security, and that was tremendously stupid. Now food is farmed in less-than-optimal places just because the land is cheap. It's an environmental disaster.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Also just recently learned of the Almond growing controversy.
I love Almonds, and love Almond mild, but maybe they shouldn't be grown in the desert.

California's Almonds Suck as Much Water Annually as Los Angeles Uses in Three Years | Mother Jones
Almond Milk is cheaper than quality cow's milk yet the cow does not require as much water.
If we have less water for almonds, the price goes up due to less almonds being harvested. Inflation is knocking hard and will hit people hard. Beef and milk haver risen a lot. Wait til' oil finds its way back.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
A major problem is, under western Water Law, if a farmer does not use all of his allotted share of the water they can loose that share to others. I suggest replacing this law with state ownership of all the water and distribution according to economic and social value.

Another is choice of crops. Growing rice, a wet monsoon plant, in a semi-arid climate is a environmental absurdity that can only make sense under man made irrigation. It does make sense to grow grass in California and rice in Alabama but not the other way around.

Another thing is to use less wasteful irrigation such as drip feed and low spray only at night. The first would cost a lot of money but the latter is really simple.

So the water intensive farmers get economically damaged by the drought. Everybody else is as well so they should share the pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events