Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 09:41 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Oh really? Which tribe? Cherokee? Navajo?

I am a native American of the Anglo Saxon tribe. I was born here, this is my home and my people have been here for centuries. The Indians were immigrants here too ten thousand years ago. The term "native American" used to describe Indians is a bit insulting to the rest of Americans of White, Black and Hispanic origins who are just as "native" to this land. How about just "Americans".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 09:43 AM

We all need to dim our lights on execution day, that way we can ensure they have enough juice to light that monster up. Should do it on Boston marathon day, that would be fitting.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:57 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
I'm a firm believer in swift, severe and , above all, accountable justice. The street tough who commits a crime, be it against person or property, needs to be made to understand that, regardless of age, an infringement upon the rights to life, liberty or property of someone else results in the loss of his/her own, and that further criminal behavior will only deepen the hole into which they have put themselves.

But I don't see too much use for the death penalty -- precisely because it turns into a rare, over-publicized melodrama which mostly attracts the interest, and possible blood-lust, of the boobs who sit guzzling beer in front of the TV set.

The fool in question is a crazy, disgusting by-product of a manipulative media-obsessed culture -- now expanding into a global folly which seeks to lead al of us around by the nose. Thus, even in supposedly "enlightened" Massachusetts, which last executed a prisoner in the 1940's, some people get their "five minutes of outrage".

Better that this monster should disappear into the anonymity of a SuperMax -- but with plenty of hard labor thrown in to pay the cost. If he's never heard from again -- who cares?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-17-2015 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-17-2015, 09:59 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am a native American of the Anglo Saxon tribe. I was born here, this is my home and my people have been here for centuries. The Indians were immigrants here too ten thousand years ago. The term "native American" used to describe Indians is a bit insulting to the rest of Americans of White, Black and Hispanic origins who are just as "native" to this land. How about just "Americans".
All I can do is role my eyes at your ignorant ethnocentrism. Did you skip every history class during school or something? Yes you were born here, yes you're an American. But you do not fit the definition of and are not a "Native American".

A great way to test this would be to mark "Native American" on a government form and try to get benefits meant for actual "Native Americans" . You'd get shut down real quick and accused of fraud.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
All I can do is role my eyes at your ignorant ethnocentrism. Did you skip every history class during school or something? Yes you were born here, yes you're an American. But you do not fit the definition of and are not a "Native American".

A great way to test this would be to mark "Native American" on a government form and try to get benefits meant for actual "Native Americans" . You'd get shut down real quick and accused of fraud.
Just because politically motivated academics and left wing politicians have succeeded in creating this definition does not mean it is correct, nor does it mean any of us are obligated to accept it or even acknowledge it. You can use it till your face turns blue in your diversity class at your local college, you can rant about it on the internet but you don't have the right to impose this upon me. Oh and ethnocentric??? simply because I don't like this term??? Please. Native American, Afro American, Homophobia, all loaded words created by left wing extremist to be used as weapons in the political war on traditionalism and conservative America.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:12 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Better that this monster should disappear into the anonymity of a SuperMax -- but with plenty of hard labor thrown in to pay the cost. If he's never heard from again -- who cares?
He should be given absolutely no hard labor, just isolation in a SuperMax. It's far worse to sit alone in a tiny cell than to be let out for the distraction of work. Lots of those prisoners end up mutilating and eating their own flesh.

On the other hand, death is pretty much what jihadis want, though the result might be unexpected:

Old 05-17-2015, 03:30 PM

23,492 posts, read 12,502,824 times
Off Topic

Quote:
Unless you are an Native American you can't complain about "immigrants". Do you know that the British Empire initially used the North American colonies as a prison? So technically the first white Americans were criminals.
Sorry but you are wrong. The NA colonies were not prisons they were settlements, and, technically the first white Americans were settlers not criminals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Y'all can say you're "Native Americans" u til you're blue in the face, it doesn't make your definition true or right.

From the dictionary:

Yes you were born here which means you're a US Citizen, but it does not make you a Native American. Also, unless you can trace your history back to a Native American tribe somewhere in your family you have a member/s who emigrated here at some point. Be it on the Mayflower or Ellis Island or any other way immigrants came here.

The massive Flux of immigrants over our countries history is how we got the reputation of being a "melting pot" .
I did not say I was a Native American, I said I was a native American. Anyone who is born in America is native to America.

Yeah I can trot out a dictionary reference too:

Quote:
native American

Word Origin

noun
1. a person born in the United States.
The term Indian, Native American, etc., was not what the People (notice the capital P) gave to themselves, it was given to them by others who had arrived here later.

To quote part of what Russell Means said in his essay..'I am an American Indian, not a Native American!'

Quote:
At an international conference of Indians from the Americas held in Geneva, Switzerland at the United Nations in 1977 we unanimously decided we would go under the term American Indian. We were enslaved as American Indians, we were colonized as American Indians and we will gain our freedom as American Indians and then we will call ourselves any damn thing we choose.

Finally, I will not allow a government, any government, to define who I am. Besides anyone born in the Western hemisphere is a Native American.
I Am An American Indian, Not A Native American!

Now, you two can unbunch your granny panties and stop shanghaiiing the thread.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:43 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Unless you are an Native American you can't complain about "immigrants". Do you know that the British Empire initially used the North American colonies as a prison? So technically the first white Americans were criminals.
You need to check your history.
  • The first White people to establish a settlement in North America and present day USA were Spanish, not English.
  • France also had significant colonies in present day USA.
  • The English used Australia as a penal colony, not the USA.
    Quote:
    Penal colony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read a book once in a while. Could you please do some research before you talk out of your @ss?
    Maybe you should take your own advice instead of talking out of yours. That link says that practice took place during the 18th century. This was at least a couple of hundred years after the first White settlements were established.
Thus, your statement the first Whites in the USA were criminals is wrong.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Hopefully it gets changed to Life without parole. I don't want this kid to be seen as a martyr by other young and aspiring terrorists.
Second verse, same as the first... This is the usual bullbleep we hear from chicken-hearted jurors who refuse to impose the DP.

You know what I don't want? This murderer to ever be used in a blackmail scheme that could endanger the lives of Americans. I don't give one rat's patoot if he's "considered a martyr." And BTW, good try with the kid moniker. That's the same rot the Menendez brothers' attorneys tried--dressing "the boys" in argyle sweaters and portraying them as "kids." Jurors didn't buy that, either.

Regardless, it'll be decades before he's executed, if at all. Timothy McVeigh put an end to all appeals after a couple years. This guy? That won't be happening.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm a firm believer in swift, severe and , above all, accountable justice. The street tough who commits a crime, be it against person or property, needs to be made to understand that, regardless of age, an infringement upon the rights to life, liberty or property of someone else results in the loss of his/her own, and that further criminal behavior will only deepen the hole into which they have put themselves.

But I don't see too much use for the death penalty -- precisely because it turns into a rare, over-publicized melodrama which mostly attracts the interest, and possible blood-lust, of the boobs who sit guzzling beer in front of the TV set.

The fool in question is a crazy, disgusting by-product of a manipulative media-obsessed culture -- now expanding into a global folly which seeks to lead al of us around by the nose. Thus, even in supposedly "enlightened" Massachusetts, which last executed a prisoner in the 1940's, some people get their "five minutes of outrage".

I'm a firm believer in accountable justice for all parties involved. The state needs to be made accountable for how their punishments live up to the ideals of our country. The state also needs to be made accountable for preparing prisoners to re-enter society as productive citizens too. Its not fair to inflict punishment on these people then release them out to the world to wreak havoc on innocent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events