Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:09 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times

Advertisements

According to former Ferguson Court Clerk who was fired for racist emails, it wasn't just her but everybody in the system.

According to Fox news, Twitty said:
Quote:
“Don’t look at me like I’m a bad person,” said Twitty. “I’m not, and a lot of people know that I’m not.”
Quote:
I mean no harm to anyone or anybody,” said Twitty. “I didn’t send them out because I was racist, because I’m not.
Quote:
I feel like I was the sacrificial lamb,” said Twitty. “I was a very good employee.
Former Ferguson court clerk fires-back after termination over racist e-mails | FOX2now.com

Ferguson Court Clerk: Firing For Racist Emails Like "Being Raped" | The New Republic

Some people just don't get it. Furthermore, she feels it is like "being raped."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 03:13 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
No Civil Servants Union to petition on her behalf in Ferguson?

Old 04-08-2015, 09:45 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Oh, please. The former court clerk is delusional. This was a good firing. If you are in a position of public trust and you disseminate such racist information among colleagues, etc., then you have violated the public's trust. No longer can the public trust you, someone who has shown very poor judgment that calls into question your fundamental beliefs of a majority of the community you serve, which is when civil servants have no more value.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:37 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
IMO, government employees, i.e. those working for and paid for by the taxpayers, should not be wasting government resources & systems for personal fun & games no matter what the content. If they have enough time to play around then they have a job that should be consolidated with another and a position eliminated.

They should be fired. And the firings should start at the top. As the Russians say, a fish rots from the head.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:37 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Indeed.

And Ferguson's government is totally non-racist because there's nothing at all racist about this photo:

And being fired for sending around that totally not-at-all-racist photo is just like rape. Totally like rape, in fact.

I see the racism apologists are already busy excusing, obfuscating, and rationalizing...

Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
While she may not have been the only guilty party, it seems she did in fact do what she was accused of doing. Tough muffins, sister, that doesn't excuse you.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Indeed.

And Ferguson's government is totally non-racist because there's nothing at all racist about this photo: And being fired for sending around that totally not-at-all-racist photo is just like rape. Totally like rape, in fact.

I see the racism apologists are already busy excusing, obfuscating, and rationalizing...
There are two different considerations here.
  • Anything emailed on a government email system, that isn't government business, is wrong and IMO, grounds for a firing. No doubt they violated their terms of employment.
  • An photo of Obama depicted as a baby chimpanzee may or may not be considered racist. That is in the eyes of the beholder. That in itself is protected by the 1st amendment. The 1st amendment guarantees freedom of expression. It does not guarantee freedom from being offended.
With that said, government is paid for by the taxpayers and as such, they are held to a higher standard than what the 1st amendment allows. They are there to serve all citizens and as such can't allow photos like that being circulated. Not only is it hurtful to many taxpayers, but it can also be considered a political statement which government employees should not be involved in while they work.

The city was right to fire them. The employees complaining only have themselves to blame for it.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:04 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
There are two different considerations here.
  • Anything emailed on a government email system, that isn't government business, is wrong and IMO, grounds for a firing. No doubt they violated their terms of employment.
  • An photo of Obama depicted as a baby chimpanzee may or may not be considered racist. That is in the eyes of the beholder. That in itself is protected by the 1st amendment. The 1st amendment guarantees freedom of expression. It does not guarantee freedom from being offended.
With that said, government is paid for by the taxpayers and as such, they are held to a higher standard than what the 1st amendment allows. They are there to serve all citizens and as such can't allow photos like that being circulated. Not only is it hurtful to many taxpayers, but it can also be considered a political statement which government employees should not be involved in while they work.

The city was right to fire them. The employees complaining only have themselves to blame for it.
You're not protected by the first amendment from being fired for what you say, email, post, etc.

You're protected from being put in jail.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
You're not protected by the first amendment from being fired for what you say, email, post, etc. You're protected from being put in jail.
You obviously did not read my entire post before you jumped to conclusions. Amazingly, you even quoted it too. A bad habit of many.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
According to former Ferguson Court Clerk who was fired for racist emails, it wasn't just her but everybody in the system.

According to Fox news, Twitty said:

Former Ferguson court clerk fires-back after termination over racist e-mails | FOX2now.com

Ferguson Court Clerk: Firing For Racist Emails Like "Being Raped" | The New Republic

Some people just don't get it. Furthermore, she feels it is like "being raped."
An unfortunate choice of words on her part. While I do agree she probably was a sacrificial lamb and there are probably far worse emails out there in that same organization - her words are an insult to rape survivors everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events