Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:34 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
Yup.

When I was a kid, the car would always soothe me to sleep, so my mom often ran quick errands while I napped. Occasionally, I would wake up and panic, but she was back inside the car within minutes. Nothing ever happened to me...

Nowadays, with my little sister, we never leave her in the car. My mother is paranoid that someone is going to break the car windows to get inside and "save" my sister. Or worse, call the cops.

Like me, my sister always falls asleep in the car. This time around, my mother wakes her up, which causes an uproar and a nasty tantrum, before heading inside to do whatever it is. Like most children, my sister gets very grumpy when she's woken up. So she'll be wailing for 20-30 minutes until someone manages to distract her. During this time, people shoot my mom vicious glares and looks that scream, "Get out".

No doubt, that the people who hate loud, wailing children are also the same ones that would call the cops if they saw one sleeping in a car.
Exactly. It's a miracle they even exist at all, given that busybody strangers make it their mission to make parents' lives as difficult as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 11:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
I'm so glad I'm not a parent these days. Stories like this just reinforce my opinion. The state is all to eager to screw over parents.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:34 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
As a parent of twin 6 yr old and an almost 10 yr old boy.... tough call on these situations mentioned by other posters. I have never had a situation arise when I would leave the kids in the car and I would need to go into a place. Use credit at pump and if needed to go into the convenience store for something, the kids would come too as they would want water or a drink. For any quick run into the store, we all would get out.

I suppose with our soon to be 10 yr old, he would be mature enough to handle a short trip and leave him alone...meaning less than 2 minutes. Otherwise I would take him in. For the 6 yr olds, they are not ready to be left alone in the car for any period (at least my kids).

Now I would never go around and check other cars or film someone else, that is over the line, unless there were some extreme circumstances.

The issue I have ran into, is leaving a younger child in the toy section of say Target while I needed to run and grab something in the other side of the store. I have done with that with my soon to be 10 yr old recently while he wanted to play video games at the xbox station, but would again never do that with the 6 yr olds. Our 10 yr old is quite mature for his age and we know he wouldnt run off....but do wonder if that is legal to do that.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:58 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I remember a few years back my ex-wife & I were taking care of my best friends two kids while he was overseas in the Army. One of the boys took a fall off a book shelf they were jumping off of. He landed in a way where he had a cut above his eye. I told my best friend knowing what he would say. He said " Guess he won't do that again" And he didn't the next day or so we went shopping some lady mentioned his cut & asked us what happened, I told her & she started to accuse of child neglect. She said that we should ALWAYS be watching our child at all times. She wanted to call DSS of course I said a few choice words & she changed her mind. People have NO business putting their noses where it doesn't concern them. EVER!
What if you genuinely suspected someone of child abuse or neglect?

Old 04-21-2015, 11:58 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post

I suppose with our soon to be 10 yr old, he would be mature enough to handle a short trip and leave him alone...meaning less than 2 minutes. Otherwise I would take him in. For the 6 yr olds, they are not ready to be left alone in the car for any period (at least my kids).
Hehe. 10 years old and wondering if he can handle less than 2 minutes in the car? My goodness.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:17 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Hehe. 10 years old and wondering if he can handle less than 2 minutes in the car? My goodness.
I should have written my post better. If more than 2 minutes I would just bring him in.....why not. If he had a friend with him of similar age....then a bit better at leaving him longer as they would play video game or something.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:47 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
No kids here thanks to my vasectomy.

However, I did leave my dog in my Jeep Wrangler a few months ago.

Only the top was completely off so I'm still not sure what I was leaving him 'in'.

Anyway, I backed my Wrangler up to the patio at a bar. At 10:45pm when it was 58 degrees and once again the top was completely off.

I just finished unleashing an epic Sky-O version of Dio's song 'Last In Line' when the bartender said 'A few people have complained about your dog barking. . . . ' blah, blah, blah. And I asked her if that was going to be a problem, and she walked away and said in total biyotch mode 'I don't know. . . '

So I threw what was left of my Heineken across the bar and called her a fat biy-otch. Then on my way out I noticed a table that had huge 2x4 lumber pieces in a Jenga formation and I flipped the table over, and it sent all of the Jenga pieces on steroids across the bar and I held up my middle finger for the rest of the bar and said 'Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuu!'

Anyway. The owner that I knew sent me a text the next morning and said 'Due to the show you put on last night, you are 86d from the bar.'

Whateva!!!

Sky-O

Old 04-22-2015, 01:13 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga
i had no idea it had gotten this bad
Yup it shure has!!!!!!

Quite insane........

Old 04-22-2015, 05:27 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
What if you genuinely suspected someone of child abuse or neglect?

You need more proof then a child having a cut on them. As a child it wasn't a good day out unless I came back without bleeding some where. You can't assume that a child is being abused because they were at the playground or fell of their bike. Even child services can't know for sure they ask the child questions & I've even seen then try & try a small child. Unless a child stays inside all the time & is always watched by an adult, anything else is pure child abuse.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I remember a few years back my ex-wife & I were taking care of my best friends two kids while he was overseas in the Army. One of the boys took a fall off a book shelf they were jumping off of. He landed in a way where he had a cut above his eye. I told my best friend knowing what he would say. He said " Guess he won't do that again" And he didn't the next day or so we went shopping some lady mentioned his cut & asked us what happened, I told her & she started to accuse of child neglect. She said that we should ALWAYS be watching our child at all times. She wanted to call DSS of course I said a few choice words & she changed her mind. People have NO business putting their noses where it doesn't concern them. EVER!

The problem is that we have too many busy bodies in today's world! And many of them are vindictive, and chomp at the bit to screw someone's life over! Not to mention a great number of these people that are quick to scream about calling child services don't have kids of their own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events