U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2015, 04:34 PM
 
12,992 posts, read 5,399,067 times
Reputation: 8014

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You didn't reply to me but that's what I am saying when I say I agreed with the poster. Legalize all of it. We have laws on the books already if someone affects another person's life in a negative and/or violent manner. Let people destroy themselves if they want.

The one argument that pot heads liked to use was prohibition, and how it didn't work. It's about the only argument I agree with them about - it didn't work. People who really wanted to drink, were still going to drink. Making drugs illegal did not stop people from using drugs. Making alcohol legal does not mean that someone who does not have any interest in drinking alcohol go out and buy alcohol. Legalizing drugs does not mean that someone who does not want to be strung out and stupid will suddenly go out and buy drugs, either.
I respectfully disagree. I used to do the stuff (grew up in the '80s in Texas ), so I'm not stupid or too naive to know what I'm talking about. Legalization lends respectability and acceptance to this. Look at alcohol. It's so acceptable people think others who don't drink are boring or stuffed shirts. It's a right of passage far more than any illegal drug is. There will be people who do the illegal drugs, but vastly more people drink alcohol.

I always thought marijuana should be legal, but I watch Colorado pot dispenseries come up with more and more powerful derivatives that have very bad side effects for many people. People are reporting going crazy, hallucinations, all kinds of strange stuff. I wonder how many people that would never have tried it when it was illegal are now doing it? But it is just pot, so I'm not too worried.

Now think what would happen if Ecstasy or meth or cocaine or heroin or crack are legal. I'm sure less people will try them than the pot, but a good number more people will do it.

I'm okay with decriminalization or rehab for people caught using, but I'm not sure what should happen to the dealers. Decriminalization doesn't change the other issues with dealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Oceania
8,623 posts, read 5,894,991 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
then explain Ferguson Missouri

Is Ferguson, Missouri a part of or anywhere near Baltimore, Maryland?
I do believe I was addressing Maryland politics, not national. Get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 10:19 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,182 posts, read 11,359,293 times
Reputation: 19285
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Is Ferguson, Missouri a part of or anywhere near Baltimore, Maryland?
I do believe I was addressing Maryland politics, not national. Get it?
I think I get it, but I'm not sure you do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Most of the craziness we have seen in the past years have been in those run by democratic regimes. Baltimore is in Maryland and the entire state is a liberal democratic dump at best. The people did something right when electing an R governor but the rest of the liberal state house has got to go. Maryland's politics has lead the state to the dregs it now lies in. Baltimore is the first boil to come to a head.
Did you forget that you wrote that? I'm pretty sure that is the post that I responded to.. get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2015, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Oceania
8,623 posts, read 5,894,991 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I respectfully disagree. I used to do the stuff (grew up in the '80s in Texas ), so I'm not stupid or too naive to know what I'm talking about. Legalization lends respectability and acceptance to this. Look at alcohol. It's so acceptable people think others who don't drink are boring or stuffed shirts. It's a right of passage far more than any illegal drug is. There will be people who do the illegal drugs, but vastly more people drink alcohol.

I always thought marijuana should be legal, but I watch Colorado pot dispenseries come up with more and more powerful derivatives that have very bad side effects for many people. People are reporting going crazy, hallucinations, all kinds of strange stuff. I wonder how many people that would never have tried it when it was illegal are now doing it? But it is just pot, so I'm not too worried.


Now think what would happen if Ecstasy or meth or cocaine or heroin or crack are legal. I'm sure less people will try them than the pot, but a good number more people will do it.

I'm okay with decriminalization or rehab for people caught using, but I'm not sure what should happen to the dealers. Decriminalization doesn't change the other issues with dealing.

What do you know of MJ? Do you know what you say to be true or are you reciting what you have heard others say on TV/ radio or printed word?

Heroin is a very popular drug at the time. There is a middle class town down the road and white kids are dying from ODs. Who would suspect heroin would turn up someplace it had never been? It's another fad just like meth. I have a young family member, who I would suspect last, get caught up in meth years ago.
My freshman nephew's dorm mate at university was initially a country kid from up in the mountains and is now out of school because he became a heroin addict in the first semester. The uni is further southeast of us so I don't know the whole city. Imagine that happening during your first year of uni.

I don't know how ecstasy, meth, cocaine,heroin or crack can even be mentioned in the conversation as MJ.
It's actual formularies - chemicals - versus a natural plant.
All of the chemical drugs can kill you and hundreds of people die from ODs or compilations of them and prescription chemical drugs annually. MJ hasn't killed anyone. There is no history of anyone dying as a direct result of THC found in MJ. People might get wasted, go driving and get into an incident but stoners are less likely to go out and drive around while stoned than one who has been drinking. If a stoner gets 'couch locked' stoned when out and about driving he will hang out until he can drive. A drunk might have to wait until tomorrow while a stoner can probably chill for 90 minutes and be cool. That's only 3 episodes of any 1/2 hour sitcom or cartoon like "Family Guy".

Anyone doing the first group of chemicals needn't drive at all. Coke is lesser of evil than the others but I knew of too many people who went from that to crack. All they did was get high. Driving was the last thing they ever needed to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 06:42 AM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
16,938 posts, read 17,185,517 times
Reputation: 10791
Maybe the police should pull out of areas with a lot of gang activity, that way the people could get what they so desperately want. They hate the police, so why should they have any? Things would be fine without them I am sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2015, 07:02 AM
 
12,992 posts, read 5,399,067 times
Reputation: 8014
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
What do you know of MJ? Do you know what you say to be true or are you reciting what you have heard others say on TV/ radio or printed word?

Heroin is a very popular drug at the time. There is a middle class town down the road and white kids are dying from ODs. Who would suspect heroin would turn up someplace it had never been? It's another fad just like meth. I have a young family member, who I would suspect last, get caught up in meth years ago.
My freshman nephew's dorm mate at university was initially a country kid from up in the mountains and is now out of school because he became a heroin addict in the first semester. The uni is further southeast of us so I don't know the whole city. Imagine that happening during your first year of uni.

I don't know how ecstasy, meth, cocaine,heroin or crack can even be mentioned in the conversation as MJ.
It's actual formularies - chemicals - versus a natural plant.
All of the chemical drugs can kill you and hundreds of people die from ODs or compilations of them and prescription chemical drugs annually. MJ hasn't killed anyone. There is no history of anyone dying as a direct result of THC found in MJ. People might get wasted, go driving and get into an incident but stoners are less likely to go out and drive around while stoned than one who has been drinking. If a stoner gets 'couch locked' stoned when out and about driving he will hang out until he can drive. A drunk might have to wait until tomorrow while a stoner can probably chill for 90 minutes and be cool. That's only 3 episodes of any 1/2 hour sitcom or cartoon like "Family Guy".

Anyone doing the first group of chemicals needn't drive at all. Coke is lesser of evil than the others but I knew of too many people who went from that to crack. All they did was get high. Driving was the last thing they ever needed to do.
It would help you understand my post a bit if you had read all of them and the ones who responded to mine. I don't think hard drugs should be legalized. Was my point not clear enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2015, 03:55 PM
 
27,993 posts, read 19,652,644 times
Reputation: 16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Maybe the police should pull out of areas with a lot of gang activity, that way the people could get what they so desperately want. They hate the police, so why should they have any? Things would be fine without them I am sure.
Or maybe both sides could learn to compromise and learn from each other? I know. That's expecting too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top