Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:02 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The note that was sent home to the parents reads as follows:

Mom claims school wouldn't let her daughter eat Oreos at lunch - AOL.com

The school is considered a private preschool but it is also part of the public school district's pre-school program.

I do think it's ridiculous for schools to make these types of decisions regarding lunches.
I am sure it's similar to a voucher program. It's still a private school, it's just being paid with money from public schools. They can do whatever they want. This shows that our nation is not ready for a full scale voucher program. What's next, they will sue over cookies.

Even public schools can dictate the kinds of snacks kids bring for snack time. (No candy, cupcakes, no peanuts, etc...) Generally lunch time is not bothered with, but sometimes I've had students bring in a small bag of chips and a coke as lunch. I just had them get a free lunch at school that day. (Elementary school)

Who cares? Is this really national news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 06:11 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,235 times
Meh. Seems like an overreach to me, but 4 Oreos probably aren't the best lunch for a kid that age, either. From my experiences of eating lunch with my elementary-aged kids in a public school, and seeing what their friends and classmates eat, I know that those cookies would likely be the first thing eaten, and anything vaguely healthy would only get a bite or two. My 7-year old regularly reminds me "Most kids get chips AND cookies in their lunch" .

Old 04-30-2015, 06:13 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Am I the only one sick and tired of these BS "outraged moms" complaining about dumb crap on FB and it going viral? She is enraged because her kid is not allowed to eat a cookie at school? Eat it at home. Why is it so critical to eat it for lunch at school, is her delicate little snowflake going to die if she doesn't eat an Oreo at school? How many kids are dying from starvation in this world?

Why doesn't her "friends" on FB ostracize her for being so dumb?

Mick
MTQ makes great points. The mom can, and maybe does, feed her child only Oreo cookies for breakfast, dinner and every snack at home, as well as the entire weekend. Will it really hurt her child to eat a healthier alternative at school?

\

Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Private school, private rules, its about as far from the nanny state as you can get, plus they did her a favor, Oreo's are crap, Joe Joe's cookies from Trader Joe's are where its at. Similar price, better taste and the ingredients list doesn't look liked some twisted mad geniuses high school science fair project.
Give me a very large break.

It didn't take long for the "plus they did her a favor..." to arrive, so it's clear the nanny state in its appropriate venue is just dandy with you.

And this isn't the first time this has happened. A mom and a dad received notes from peeved busybody teachers about their kids' lunches--both at public schools.

Get out of our lives, our houses, and our refrigerators.

And oh BTW, the note said that "this is a public school setting," thus the Aurora School District requirement pursuant to federal requirements.. Seems the pre-K receives federal funds. There you go: Federal bucks equals federal control.

Last edited by Delahanty; 04-30-2015 at 06:23 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 09:59 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Am I the only one sick and tired of these BS "outraged moms" complaining about dumb crap on FB and it going viral? She is enraged because her kid is not allowed to eat a cookie at school? Eat it at home. Why is it so critical to eat it for lunch at school, is her delicate little snowflake going to die if she doesn't eat an Oreo at school? How many kids are dying from starvation in this world?

Why doesn't her "friends" on FB ostracize her for being so dumb?

Mick

women like attention.....

however... the school needs to stop being a bunch of busybodies... too many busybodies trying to tell people how to live their lives in society as it is....

Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
If they have potatoes, the child will also need bread to go along with it. Lunchables, chips, fruit snacks, and peanut butter are not considered to be a healthy snack.

What is with the potatoes and bring bread with it?

And don't a LOT of kids eat peanut butter sandwiches?

GLAD my son is 32...

Old 04-30-2015, 10:05 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
What is with the potatoes and bring bread with it?.
I thought that was weird, too. I thought we want kids to eat less simple carbs. On second thought, who the heck brings potatoes to lunch? I don't remember any kids bringing baked potatoes, tater tots, french fries, mashed potatoes, etc. in their lunch bag.

Mick

Old 04-30-2015, 10:07 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
A couple of things.. from the video, it looks like mom could lay off the Oreos as well. My major thought though is that Oreos are not allowed, but Lunchables are? Those things are extremely unhealthy. They are loaded with fat and cram packed with salt.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I thought that was weird, too. I thought we want kids to eat less simple carbs. On second thought, who the heck brings potatoes to lunch? I don't remember any kids bringing baked potatoes, tater tots, french fries, mashed potatoes, etc. in their lunch bag.

Mick
Yeah. I guess they want someone bring a big thermos of mashed potatoes to preschool with 4 slices of white sandwich bread....great meal...

Old 04-30-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
A couple of things.. from the video, it looks like mom could lay off the Oreos as well. My major thought though is that Oreos are not allowed, but Lunchables are? Those things are extremely unhealthy. They are loaded with fat and cram packed with salt.
Lunchables aren't allowed..they are are the same line as peanut butter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events