Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:19 AM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not anyone who knows the facts. That gun had been purposely modified to look like a real gun and the adult looking kid, who had been told to get rid of the gun, was pointing it at people in a park.
It was not purposely modified to look like a real gun. The original owner, who was not Rice, of the air soft gun had stated that it kept jamming because of the tip, so he removed the tip for it to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:33 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
It was not purposely modified to look like a real gun. The original owner, who was not Rice, of the air soft gun had stated that it kept jamming because of the tip, so he removed the tip for it to work.
So it looked like a real gun.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
If someone is fleeing, the threat is gone, since their back is to the officer, there is no need to kill, at that point.

I'm sure they could ID their 'suspect' and find him another day, put out a BOLO.

No officer of the law should break the law under the guise of upholding that law.
Right. Thank goodness that isn't how the law works.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:55 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
I worked with the "Shoot Team" -homicide in Camden, NJ, a lot like working check points in Iraq. We worked with "the people" in north Camden because many of them we're surviving Vics and we're directly related one way or the other to the shoot victim, casing, address, ballistics, was the norm on a 12 hour power shift. The burn out rate was high, each month we had a calendar of 30 days filled with the Victims case/name/address/and number, but it was our ground floor efforts with people that brought us respect from the community, a war torn area that made us want to keep coming back to close a case, help the people get answers, get the facts, the proof to get a conviction and close a case.

All the younger guys made moves to get out and seek positions with the State Investigators office or the State Police. I left in 2011 and most of the guys we're right behind me, the younger officers became part of the new County Force who's mission and objective is to work the same block by block each day to get to know the citizens better in the neighborhood, from what I hear, it's working where the community gets directly involved in serious crimes, they give the answers, and the force gets the facts at a much faster rate.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point here ...... pretty much everyone agrees that was bad, right?
My point is that there are cops who do wrong and the example I wrote was to highlight my belief.

Quote:
If you hate cops and the criminal justice system, consider this: what if you get mugged so violently that you have to go to the hospital? What if you get raped? What if your daughter is tortured and killed?

In those cases, would you blame the criminal and want him arrested and imprisoned where he can't hurt you or your loved ones again ....... or would you prefer that nothing be done?
I don't hate the criminal justice system. I think there are very good aspects of it that are being ignored right now by the people who are charged with upholding the system, including citizens.

I don't understand why people like you don't understand where people like me are coming from. I've never seen people say criminals should be left to terrorize people, free from punishment etc. What I have seen are people who believe that everyone's constitutional rights matter, that cops should be held to the laws they are supposed to enforce. We believe cops have become more militarized and more violent with every passing year and we believe part of this reason is because the citizenry accepts and condones it. We also believe that there are ways to deal with criminals that do not make a mockery of our justice system and our core beliefs as a nation.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your point here ...... pretty much everyone agrees that was bad, right?

If you hate cops and the criminal justice system, consider this: what if you get mugged so violently that you have to go to the hospital? What if you get raped? What if your daughter is tortured and killed?

In those cases, would you blame the criminal and want him arrested and imprisoned where he can't hurt you or your loved ones again ....... or would you prefer that nothing be done?

Well, one would think that one was pretty universal. But . . per below, I guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not anyone who knows the facts. That gun had been purposely modified to look like a real gun and the adult looking kid, who had been told to get rid of the gun, was pointing it at people in a park.
Not when he was shot. He was completely alone. Do you intend to apologize for every mistake that the PD makes? You're going to be busy.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Hey here is an idea............DON'T RUN.

If someone is chasing you, you're probably going to run. Or turn and fight.

I've seen what cops can do, and how much they lie, and yes, steal, from people to know to never, ever, trust them. Cops SHOULD be the friend of law abiding citizens, they're only friends to themselves and their pockets.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
If someone is fleeing, the threat is gone, since their back is to the officer, there is no need to kill, at that point.

I'm sure they could ID their 'suspect' and find him another day, put out a BOLO.

No officer of the law should break the law under the guise of upholding that law.
If you shoot at someone and run (and you still have the weapon) you are fair game. The Officer's job is to protect the public and when you start firing a gun it is reasonable that you pose an immediate threat to the public.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 AM

625 posts, read 624,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
A lot of police are criminals but they are protected by whites who look the other way. There are many 'socalled" good cops who are criminals (accessories to police brutality) because they don't report the dirty cops.
I abhor antisocial police behavior, but "a lot of police are criminals" is a stretch & saying they are "protected by whites" is a bigger stretch. And it seems lately there have been more incidences of police out of control (or maybe there is just more media coverage with every Joe Blow having a cell phone now).

The police that are violating rights, using excessive force (and killing citizens) need to be investigated and punished accordingly, but making blanket statements about the police all being bad or all being good is as silly as making blanket statements about all blacks being thugs, drug dealers or low-life welfare scammers or all poor white people are mullet-wearing trailer-trash hillbillies that drive pickups, marry their cousins and have more tattoos than teeth.

All statements are entertaining but have no basis in fact.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times
"I don't hate the criminal justice system. I think there are very good aspects of it that are being ignored right now by the people who are charged with upholding the system, including citizens.

I don't understand why people like you don't understand where people like me are coming from. I've never seen people say criminals should be left to terrorize people, free from punishment etc. What I have seen are people who believe that everyone's constitutional rights matter, that cops should be held to the laws they are supposed to enforce. We believe cops have become more militarized and more violent with every passing year and we believe part of this reason is because the citizenry accepts and condones it. We also believe that there are ways to deal with criminals that do not make a mockery of our justice system and our core beliefs as a nation"

It's very sad that statements like these will be written off as being "anti-cop" or "pro criminal". I don't see the similarities at all.

Excellent post, Magritte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events