Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:47 AM

2,953 posts, read 999,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
She does have a cute accent though. I watch her just for that.
The industrial shriek of a NYC Jewish rip-saw tearing through wooden-headed liberal apologist logic? Yeah it makes me feel kind of funny like when I had to climb the rope in gym class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 09:55 AM

698 posts, read 590,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
There is freedom of speech and then there is being foolhardy and stupid. Here is an example: Yes, a person could walk into a KKK meeting and start saying nice things about blacks, but it probably wouldn't be prudent nor would it end well. That is what these "artists" did when they held an event for the sole purpose of featuring drawings that were disrespectful of someone very important to Muslims.

People should realize that this is a whole new world when it comes to how people in other countries handle things they do not like or agree with. The event organizers knew that they were putting salt on the wounds of Muslims, that is why they had to have so many security people on hand.

I am not saying they deserved whatever happened, but they should not be surprised, either. Not a very smart idea, especially when you consider who they were antagonizing.

Don
Exactly, we know that Fox News and conservatives would feel completely differently if a group of Muslims decided to gather outside a Marine base and start stomping on American flags and lighting them on fire. If someone lost their temper and assaulted or shot the flag burners we know the same people supporting antagonizing speech directed at Muslims would be on the other side of the argument and the violence would be considered appropriate and patriotic.

I have seen many posters on this forum claim that they would assault or kill anyone that disrespected an American flag in their presence. I guess their love of free speech and the 1st Amendment only applies when they agree with the speech.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:58 AM

733 posts, read 858,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rita v View Post
It was a stupid event, with the sole purpose being to antagonize a group of people. The een organizer needs to get a freaking life and evaluate what is really important.

Pretty d*mned important to keep America FREE and to keep fighting those who would change our entire way of life and put their d*mned "Sharia" in place and MURDER everyone who isn't THEM.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:05 AM

2,683 posts, read 2,190,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Exactly, we know that Fox News and conservatives would feel completely differently if a group of Muslims decided to gather outside a Marine base and start stomping on flags and lighting them on fire. If some Marines or civilians lost their tempers and assaulted or shot the flag burners we know the same people supporting free speech would be on the other side of the argument and the violence would be considered appropriate and patriotic.
I would feel about it the same as I do about this incident.

Muslims have a First Amendment right to burn an American flag, and under your scenario they'd be entitled to police protection too. But, just as Geller and her group were aware of, and had to assume responsibility for the danger inherent in their acts, Muslims who burn a flag in front of a Marine base should be ready to deal with the repercussions of their political speech. Aside from the potential violence, it really would not help their image in the US.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:17 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,640,836 times
For one, anybody who thinks these are Muslims you are mistaken....
These are terrorist, remember, not Muslims. There is a difference and we need to make sure we know who we are trying to respect.

It's not Muslims, it's terrorists that we offend and we offend them with a lot more than just cartoons. They won't be happy until they've killed all of us because thats their business, killing.

You aren't going to "nice" them out of it, . Even Muslims are offending them because they aren't extreme enough. These are terrorists, not Muslims.

I hear it's easy to join them, you just have to hate everyone for everything and be willing to kill for it. They have a website and Americans have done just that, joined them. That's why we have terrorist here now.

How did those people in the Twin Towers offend them? What about those on trains they bomb, or buses? Were they all drawing cartoons? I don't think so.

Muslims don't kill cartoonists, terrorist kill cartoonists. Terrorist kill everyone. Let's try to remember this...

Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 AM

2,953 posts, read 999,126 times
Quote:
Exactly, we know that Fox News and conservatives would feel completely differently if a group of Muslims decided to gather outside a Marine base and start stomping on American flags and lighting them on fire. If someone lost their temper and assaulted or shot the flag burners we know the same people supporting antagonizing speech directed at Muslims would be on the other side of the argument and the violence would be considered appropriate and patriotic.
The shooting of a flag burner probably wouldn't be called justified but you can bet it would be given token disapproval couched with "but they should have known better" ... just like we heard from the apologists after Garland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks
I have seen many posters on this forum claim that they would assault or kill anyone that disrespected an American flag in their presence. I guess their love of free speech and the 1st Amendment only applies when they agree with the speech.
Correct. I'm all for freedom of expression as long as I agree with what you have to say.

I totally Wiki'd this because although I remembered the famous phrase, I couldn't remember who to attribute it to.

"In The Friends of Voltaire Hall wrote the phrase: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"[3] (which is often misattributed to Voltaire himself) as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs.[4][5] Hall's quotation is often cited to describe the principle of freedom of speech."

Words to live by for all Americans. And when I get really pissed off and want to kick some a$$ I just calm myself with the Zen of what comes around goes around. Example - Go ahead Mr Ungrateful Middle Eastern visitor. Burn the flag. Later on down the road in some dark $h1thole you call home, we will probably drone strike your jihadi cousins into atoms. And if not? Well you suck at life and have to wallow in your angry disaffected mental filth every miserable day ... and I don't. So HA! That's how I tap into the power of libertarian rationalization

Last edited by Wee-Bey; 05-08-2015 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,640,836 times
Quote:

Oh really?
St. Louis protesters burn American flags post-police shootings - Washington Times

Our police force did nothing of the sort, neither did any other citizens when flags were burned at the latest protests. Try again. People burn flags all the time in this country, in front of the White House no less and don't get shot full of bullets.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:27 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,150,163 times
Quote:
I am afraid logical consistency is not in said posters' wheelhouse. They will always find something completely irrelevant to make it the distinction between the two situations.

Mick

Old 05-08-2015, 10:31 AM

828 posts, read 912,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
I think the title to this thread very misleading. The CNN reporter did not take the radical Islamic view at all. She did not condone the violence. I think the two thugs got what they deserved...shot down in cold blood.

But the CNN reporter very appropriately questioned the motives of this group. She didn't say it but I will: they are a hate group. Again, they have every right to say whatever the f&*k they want and not get killed for it. But we as a society have a right to call them what they are: a hate group.
Yes, the title is misleading, like many of the titles on the Current Events page. Agendas, agendas, agendas. If someone had a truly valid point of view, they wouldn't need to exaggerate or mislead.

Oh, and a Pamela Geller source? Maybe next time you start a thread about, say, interracial dating, you can include David Duke commentary. That really helps your cause.

Finally, only someone completely brainwashed by Rush Limbaugh and his ilk would seriously think CNN is pro-terrorism. I feel stupid just typing to state the obvious. Seriously, if you think this, you need some serious professional help.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:35 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,343,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
Two Muslim terrorists, aligned with ISIS attacked a Texas free speech event yesterday, intending to commit mass murder using AK-47s and explosives, because 300 Americans dared to criticize Islam. Thankfully, the Garland, TX police were able to gun them down to prevent mass bloodshed.
CNN Takes Radical Muslim Side in Texas Attack – Then Pamela Geller DESTROYS Their Argument | Top Right News
Guess who CNN is siding with?

Do you really need to ask? Thankfully, organizer Pamela Geller was having none of it, and instantly slapped down CNN’s ridiculous Islam-appeasing talking points.
And now, i can't understand only one thing... Why American MSM source told that Muslims who were trying to KILL American citizens aren't guilty?!
Maybe soon, they will blame cops who saved these people? Or maybe will marry ISIS leaders to make greencards to all of them?
What do you think guys?
What I think is that CNN should not be taking any side, if they were they shouldn't have. With Freedom of the Press comes responsibility to report. If it were an editorial segment, I guess is OK to show opinion. But not news segment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events