Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 02:12 AM

421 posts, read 410,749 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to make it known I was responding to what Rakin said about no place to store water. I guess I should have separated the quote instead of just different fonts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 02:17 AM

421 posts, read 410,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Wrong, as far as no place to hold and store water during heavy rains.

An Oklahoma lake--what it should look like with no drought, or, after a heavy spring storm (this could be a picture of any lake in OK or TX)..

The same lake in late summer or fall (once again, it could be a picture of any lake in TX or OK)..

The OP talked about Texas and Oklahoma, both of which have been going through a drought for a number of years, and, even with the current totally out of character heavy storms the two states are now going through, the drought is expected to continue. Right now this lake looks like the top picture, by late summer or fall it will once again look like the bottom picture. Spring is when the two states normally see enough rain to replenish their lakes, rivers, streams, etc., the rest of the year it's usually as dry as a pop corn fart.

And you expect some one (who exactly?) to fork out billions of dollars to run a pipe, and to push any water, from TX/OK to CA for a possible once a year, twice a year if they are extremely lucky, dribble of excess water?

It appears that CA has finally woken up and are working on creating desalination plants, so far they have 17 in the planning/building stages. They even have one that they had finished building in 1992, to serve Santa Barbara, that they had never, ever even used--it's just been sitting there-collecting dust.

Okay then, OK and Tex could be recipients of some other state's flood water and maybe the ground would not be so dam hard.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:22 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
I don't know.

Somehow, piping Texas water to other parts of the country that don't know how to manage their water reminds me of that bumper sticker.......

"Drive 70 and Freeze a Yankee!"

Old 05-26-2015, 05:33 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't know.

Somehow, piping Texas water to other parts of the country that don't know how to manage their water reminds me of that bumper sticker.......
Reminds me out in West Texas (San Angelo) who's lake was going dry so they built a pipeline to another lake. By the time they got the pipeline built, that lake was dry also.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:58 AM

625 posts, read 623,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The issue is people and industry that located in desert climates who completely ignore their environment, try to use water like it was a rain forest, then are shocked when environment reminds them of their stupidity.

It's silly to pump water 1000s of miles so people can have an English garden and play golf in the desert.
Yes, this! ABOVE! ^^^^

Though did see an article over the weekend about folks in Cali tearing out their lawns and installing "fake grass"… so that's a start.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
I remember back in 2002 Denver had one of it's biggest drought seasons. Denver Water told people to conserve. People listened. The problem was they listened too well and Denver Water wasn't making enough profit so they jacked up the rates to compensate.

Same year, many of the lawns were turning yellow due to heavy water restrictions. Local HOA's sent out letters to water their lawns or find another method to keep it green. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Of course this year we can't go a day without heavy downpour. I'm ready for a drought

Old 05-26-2015, 09:01 AM

16,551 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
California is suffering drought.

Water is the most basic and most necessary element to facilitate development and industry. A national water grid could be an asset that would pay dividends going forward and increase prosperity.

It could also be accomplished with a fraction of what we spend in foreign wars making enemies worldwide.

Nobody likes war, but the half baked liberal notion that war/conflict can be avoided with evil people is just absurd.

Should the federal government (meaning all taxpayers nationwide) be responsible for paying for CA residents irresponsible actions?
Keep in mind that aside from the liberal Hollywood hypocrites, CA loses tons of water due to absurd things in the name of their wacko causes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=phot...w&ved=0CB0QsAQ

The amount of wasted water on non essential crops like almonds is incredible. That combined with new water parks that use 300,000 gallons of water.
Yet hundreds of billions of gallons of water is wasted and goes into the ocean because of poor planning.
Read the article;

Why Does California Let Billions Of Gallons Of Fresh Water Flow Straight Into The Ocean? - Forbes

So before we decide to bail CA out by throwing other taxpayers money at the problem so the hypocrites can continue their folly, we should tell them to get their own house in order.

`

Old 05-26-2015, 09:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I am not sure where you live or where you get your figures from, but I can tell you my water bill runs north of $250 @ month in the summer months and over half of that in the winter. We have no grass and only water our trees. We have been in conservation mode for over a decade and the situation gets continually worse...
The figures I listed are for Irvine, California -- right next to UC Irvine in the so-called "faculty ghetto."

I don't doubt that your bill is north of $250; as I posted, many other areas in SoCal pay 3 to 4 times more than UC Irvine faculty.

Your water bill should list the price of water -- perhaps listed in dollars per acre-foot, or in dollars per hundred cubic feet, or in dollars per gallons. Could you take a look & post it please?

Yes, it is our civic responsibility to conserve. Unfortunately, civic responsibility appears to influence behaviour only to a certain extent -- beyond that, people might respond more to a substantial price increase.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The figures I listed are for Irvine, California -- right next to UC Irvine in the so-called "faculty ghetto."

I don't doubt that your bill is north of $250; as I posted, many other areas in SoCal pay 3 to 4 times more than UC Irvine faculty.

Your water bill should list the price of water -- perhaps listed in dollars per acre-foot, or in dollars per hundred cubic feet, or in dollars per gallons. Could you take a look & post it please?

Yes, it is our civic responsibility to conserve. Unfortunately, civic responsibility appears to influence behaviour only to a certain extent -- beyond that, people might respond more to a substantial price increase.
You think I don't know what my own damn water bill is ? You obviously do not have a clue what you are talking about. With 80% plus of California's water going to agriculture (which is exported outside the State), the conservation of a small percentage of the remaining less than 20% does not amount to a hill of beans, and it certainly is not going to help this. Record rainfall floods parts of U.S., killing four - MarketWatch

Old 05-26-2015, 10:14 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Water is not a renewable resource. Take water from one area and transport it far away and you will remove the water from that first area. It will not return so over time, the infrastructure built would be useless. There would be no more water to move.
Do you have a source for this?

It seems to me the water comes from atmospheric sources, which in turn mostly comes from vegetative transpiration and ocean/lake evaporation. Atmospheric sources are pretty dynamic and unpredictable.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 05-26-2015 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events