Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:07 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You're the one who started the thread.
Yes I did, only I mistitled it. It should have been titled "proof Americans are the stupidest people on earth, read this thread for irrefutable evidence".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 04:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Whoever came up with the idea to grow the nation's food in a desert was a moron. Pure and simple. And why do these people have grass? People in places like Vegas should be banned from having lawns and golf courses. You don't have any water so why the hell would you need a lawn that needs to be watered? Makes no sense whatsoever!

Old 05-26-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Texas and Oklahoma had also been in drought conditions for the past 5 years. Rains like the two states are currently experiencing are extremely rare. Sure those states may see a short lived toad-floater a time or two during any given year, but since the ground is usually hard because of the droughts the rainfall runs off, into creeks, rivers and lakes, instead of sinking in.

Why spend hundreds of billions on a pipeline that most often would only carry dust? Instead, California should start spending a few million on desalination plants.

Moving Water From Flood To Drought
Texas and Oklahoma have a LOOOOOOOOOONG history of droughts. This flooding is not a common thing at all. These floods can happen anywhere.

Has anyone ever heard of the Dust Bowl??? Texas and Oklahoma were in the heart of it.

Dust Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-26-2015, 04:49 PM

421 posts, read 410,749 times
I just glanced over the latest posts in this thread and closed minds seem to be in abundance here. Here's some things I can imagine...water trucks, personal water tanks, treatment plants with ability to pump water from flood swollen rivers, ...

Old 05-26-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandphi View Post
I just glanced over the latest posts in this thread and closed minds seem to be in abundance here. Here's some things I can imagine...water trucks, personal water tanks, treatment plants with ability to pump water from flood swollen rivers, ...
How long do you think swollen rivers last? And where there's flooding like Texas has right now, it is NOT safe to bring in a vehicle of any kind to pump anything! Oh and flood waters are notoriously filled with harmful things many of which aren't filtered out. Raw sewage? Yum! Remember the nightmare flooding in New Orleans after Katrina and Rita? NONE of that water was potable. It was filled with sewage and bacteria.....and dead bodies.

Then there's the exorbitant cost of transporting water in pump trucks. Who's going to pay for that?

Old 05-26-2015, 06:30 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
https://theextinctionprotocol.wordpr...exas-oklahoma/

Texas and Oklahoma are suffering floods and California is suffering drought. Both of these conditions could be mitigated by the proper infrastructure to manage the nations water supply.

Private industry has no problems building pipelines to transport oil and gas across entire cotenants, but our Federal government cannot build a water grid that would benefit the country in immeasurable ways.

Water is the most basic and most necessary element to facilitate development and industry. A national water grid could be an asset that would pay dividends going forward and increase prosperity.

It could also be accomplished with a fraction of what we spend in foreign wars making enemies worldwide.
No thanks. I'd rather not see the Great Lakes emptied just so that people can try to live where nature tells them they shouldn't.

If people really want to live in the desert that much, they should pony up the dough LOCALLY to build desalination plants.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:43 PM

421 posts, read 410,749 times

Water can be purified

Can flood water be purified to drinking water? - Quora

" is NOT safe to bring in a vehicle of any kind to pump anything! "

. Um ...I wasn't exactly envisioning a pick-up pulling up to the river with a garden hose.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandphi View Post

Water can be purified

Can flood water be purified to drinking water? - Quora

" is NOT safe to bring in a vehicle of any kind to pump anything! "

. Um ...I wasn't exactly envisioning a pick-up pulling up to the river with a garden hose.
Firefighter's can't bring in their trucks into the flooded areas. In many areas, the roads and bridges are GONE. So again how do you get a vehicle into a flooded area???

Old 05-27-2015, 09:00 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Whoever came up with the idea to grow the nation's food in a desert was a moron. Pure and simple. And why do these people have grass? People in places like Vegas should be banned from having lawns and golf courses. You don't have any water so why the hell would you need a lawn that needs to be watered? Makes no sense whatsoever!
Exactly where did you get your degree in agriculture? California's farmland is the most productive in the country, by far. You see, water is only one factor in growing crops, but you will always have simpletons who have big opinions and small minds.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:07 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Texas has also been in a drought the last 5-6 years and our lakes are just now starting to fill. Most of our West TX area are still in severe drought. We also have rules to share with Mexico and to let a certain amount flow into the Gulf.

The state of TX owns most of the water and I'm sure we'd be willing to sell whatever we have extra.
We will never have extra. You think California would ever send excess to another state ?

States like CA better start building desalination plants.
Although I can agree with at least anticipating cyclical needs and building to respond to them, any state that borders an ocean or other large body of water would only benefit from those plants.

The infrastructure build up is needed, and would do wonders to build up the nation and economy if we could bring ourselves to invest in our country.

In the end, I also agree with others that say we need to stop building in fllood plains. Mother Nature has and will always win that game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events