Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which was this?
A prank. Nobody should be charged? 51 63.75%
A crime. Somebody needs to be charged? 29 36.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 02:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,654 times

Advertisements

Prank, but a completely unfunny one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 02:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Lets rephrase this... if someone were to break into your house and release 72,000 lady bugs, would you still consider it a prank?

This was a crime and should be treated as such.
a school isnt the same as a house. nobody was sleeping with the ladybugs and anyone inconvenienced by them were paid. a school is also a place where thousands of people enter and leave every day so its not as perosnal/private as violating someone's home.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:08 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
a school isnt the same as a house. nobody was sleeping with the ladybugs and anyone inconvenienced by them were paid. a school is also a place where thousands of people enter and leave every day so its not as perosnal/private as violating someone's home.
You are right in this, however the breaking and entering cannot be ignored. That is a crime whether it be a school or a house.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:16 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,752 times
Its somewhat borderline to me, but voted prank. It could be costly and ruined graduation for those actually wanting to attend. The 7 who did this should have full responsibility cleaning it up and paying for anything that comes from it.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:24 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,781 times
When I graduated, we released 4 greased pigs in the hall, numbered 1, 2, 3 & 5... to make those catching them - (or trying to) THINK that there were 5....

We weren't caught - but mention of it was made at our graduation... and nobody snitched.... or we'da greased THEM up...[/quote]

ROTFLMFAO!!!!! Love it! But that said, just made the kids pay or do the cleanup and leave it at that.

Imagine if it was 72000 Cockroaches!

Old 05-27-2015, 02:25 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
They forcibly broke into the school at 3 AM. Since when is that not a crime? Don't let the release of ladybugs cloud your common sense.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Its somewhat borderline to me, but voted prank. It could be costly and ruined graduation for those actually wanting to attend. The 7 who did this should have full responsibility cleaning it up and paying for anything that comes from it.
it seems that it is a tiny tiny crime. i guess like speeding or not wearing your seatbelt is a crime, then so is this. i wouldnt want the kids future to be impacted by it.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:05 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,181 times
They could charge him and his accomplices with breaking and entering at night, which is very serious and involves doing long time. He should be grateful that he is simply not being allowed to walk in the graduation ceremony. I'd say he and his friends are very lucky. I assume his friends will not be allowed to walk either.

He gets his diploma, and he's joining the millitary. If he cared one bit about walking with his class he shouldnt have pulled off or participated in the prank. This is a 'slap on the hand' way of showing him that there are repercussions for the things we do.

It's technically a crime - no doubt. He's very lucky no one is interested in prosecuting that crime.

I dont think he should be prosecuted. I dont think its something to destroy someone's future over. I'm sure his time in the millitary will teach him about repercussions since he doesnt seem to - get it yet!

P.S. I couldnt vote. There is no "a prank that happens to also be a crime" category.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:52 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Its a crime.....

BUT, maybe there is a way for everyone to save face.

The Judge accepts a plea where the kids clean up the school, the parents/kids pay for the restitution...maybe $10,000 per kid (damage to the building from breaking in, police time, janitorial time, exterminator costs, etc.)...a few hundred hours of community service are agreed upon...and the Judge can clean the record like it never happened.

Everyone involved feels the pain, but the long term opportunity for the children involved is not damaged.

Fair enough?

Old 05-27-2015, 04:03 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,789,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
They could charge him and his accomplices with breaking and entering at night, which is very serious and involves doing long time. He should be grateful that he is simply not being allowed to walk in the graduation ceremony. I'd say he and his friends are very lucky. I assume his friends will not be allowed to walk either.

He gets his diploma, and he's joining the millitary. If he cared one bit about walking with his class he shouldnt have pulled off or participated in the prank. This is a 'slap on the hand' way of showing him that there are repercussions for the things we do.

It's technically a crime - no doubt. He's very lucky no one is interested in prosecuting that crime.

I dont think he should be prosecuted. I dont think its something to destroy someone's future over. I'm sure his time in the millitary will teach him about repercussions since he doesnt seem to - get it yet!

P.S. I couldnt vote. There is no "a prank that happens to also be a crime" category.
Of the seven students that broke in, six were current seniors and one was an alumnus. Only one senior isn't going to be allowed to walk, possibly because he has gotten into other trouble before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events