Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 03:34 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,676,754 times

Advertisements

I've had people walk right in front of my vehicle crossing the road without looking both ways while taking on a smartphone.

A man walking to work while concentrating on his smartphone showed why one shouldn’t walk while concentrating on their smartphone because you never know what you might run into—like a snake, for instance.

Read more at Man steps on a snake while busy on smartphone | GrindTV.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 04:19 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,135,343 times
I once walked into a college bookstore and stepped on a snake, which promptly slithered over underneath the coffee stand and hid.

It was a 100+ day, and I think the poor thing was in bad shape because reptiles can't regulate heat, and we don't usually get near 100 degrees, so it was not a species adapted to that weather.

In any event, I walked over and told them at the counter, and they thought I was being a wise guy. I finally got them to move the counter, and sure enough, it was bunched up in the corner.

One of the gentlemen running the store was actually a Hindu and they were talking about the sacredness of life as they managed to get it in some sort of box to take it outside for release.

I hate snakes on principle, but I do agree that life should not be taken without good reason. Since this snake was not a danger to anyone, I was glad that I could be part of its rescue.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:28 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,912,647 times
I don't get it. Put the machine down, pay attention. Nothing you have to text on a dumb cell phone is that important.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:23 AM

593 posts, read 670,236 times
I had a very similar situation. When i was new to Florida I was at my apartment one day when I got a call from an old friend. Me and my fiance were watching TV at the time so I stepped outside so I wouldn't bother her while talking. I was simply pacing back and forth on the sidewalk directly outside my apartment when all of a sudden I looked down and was within 8 inches of a freaking water moccasin!! The damn thing was bowed up with his cotton white mouth wide open just about to strike. Had i taken one more step i would have got bitten no doubt. I screamed louder than I ever have and bolted away. My neighbors (rednecks) were outside at the time and one of them cut its head off with a shovel. It's crazy what can happen in life when your not paying attention in the most seemingly basic situation. The snake had to be killed as other neighbors had little kids and many of us have dogs.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:26 AM

29,866 posts, read 24,997,963 times
It's not just an American phenomena. A women in China was decapitated by an elevator while busy on her smart phone. The elevator malfunctioned, but if she was paying attention to her surroundings, her head would not have been in the way.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:52 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,330,363 times
Oh, another post about "idiots and their stupid phones they can't put down." Great, just what we needed.

You know what? I use my phone a lot, I stare at it a lot, and maybe I think that's just fine and maybe I think it's nobody's business. Unless I'm driving while doing so and run into somebody, who am I hurting? Nobody. And does anyone think it's FUNNY or GOOD that such things happen to people accidentally? I sure hope not.

I'm tired of it. I'm tired of these sanctimonious people looking at me for poking at my phone at the check-out line. Here's the reality--I track my spending, so I don't overdraw my checking account, and I log my transactions every-time I use my bank card. I do so while waiting for the machine to process my card, when I'd just be standing there anyway, and how is that any different than those little old ladies, God bless them, who write a check and then also log the check in their register? There's a LOT MORE waiting that goes on due to that, but no, we have to throw stones SOLELY at the smartphone people.

Not all of us use our phones for playing Angry Birds, you know, and I guarantee you that I'm easily as fast as anyone else at the checkout line with respect to doing what I have to do and getting out of the way quickly for the next person--I have my card or cash ready, I've entered everything about the transaction except the amount so all I have to do is keypunch 6.79 (or whatever) and press OK, I don't ask for a price-check on every single thing that's off by a measly 5 cents, I don't buy 50 items only to head to the 10 items or less line, I don't hold up the line by leaving mid-transaction and going to the back of the store to add more items, I don't run to the car because I forgot my money, and I don't insist that I HAVE to have even dollars on my transaction and thus sit there all day long counting out pennies and dimes because GOD FORBID I get a little change back vs it being all paper money.

I see those things ALL the time, but no one says a word about it, yet let me do my phone business for 3 seconds, and all of a sudden I'm the woman caught in adultery.

With all due respect--shove it.

I walk and text--so what? I use my phone at the dinner table--yeah, so? I promise you that your snotty noisy brat is making a whole lot more noise than my phone is (which, incidentally, I'll have on vibrate if it's a high-dollar eating place vs Wendy's etc). I read magazine articles on the phone, yeah so? What's it to you?

What difference does it make? Where were these posts when people were distracted due to reading a book or magazine vs paying attention to their surroundings? Where were these posts about joggers getting hit by a car because they had their Walkmans up so loud they didn't hear the horn? We've had the Internet since the late 1990s, back when in fact we still had Walkmans vs MP3 players or phones functioning as MP3 players, but it's only been since smartphones that people started throwing stones or mocking such accidents.

Enough, please.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:58 AM

171 posts, read 197,820 times
would it have still been outrageous if he had just stepped on a snake without being on his phone, like people have done since the dawn of time? being hard to notice and easy to step on is kind of most snakes' "thing"

Old 05-29-2015, 10:03 AM

19,872 posts, read 12,164,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Oh, another post about "idiots and their stupid phones they can't put down." Great, just what we needed.

You know what? I use my phone a lot, I stare at it a lot, and maybe I think that's just fine and maybe I think it's nobody's business. Unless I'm driving while doing so and run into somebody, who am I hurting? Nobody. And does anyone think it's FUNNY or GOOD that such things happen to people accidentally? I sure hope not.

I'm tired of it. I'm tired of these sanctimonious people looking at me for poking at my phone at the check-out line. Here's the reality--I track my spending, so I don't overdraw my checking account, and I log my transactions every-time I use my bank card. I do so while waiting for the machine to process my card, when I'd just be standing there anyway, and how is that any different than those little old ladies, God bless them, who write a check and then also log the check in their register? There's a LOT MORE waiting that goes on due to that, but no, we have to throw stones SOLELY at the smartphone people.

Not all of us use our phones for playing Angry Birds, you know, and I guarantee you that I'm easily as fast as anyone else at the checkout line with respect to doing what I have to do and getting out of the way quickly for the next person--I have my card or cash ready, I've entered everything about the transaction except the amount so all I have to do is keypunch 6.79 (or whatever) and press OK, I don't ask for a price-check on every single thing that's off by a measly 5 cents, I don't buy 50 items only to head to the 10 items or less line, I don't hold up the line by leaving mid-transaction and going to the back of the store to add more items, I don't run to the car because I forgot my money, and I don't insist that I HAVE to have even dollars on my transaction and thus sit there all day long counting out pennies and dimes because GOD FORBID I get a little change back vs it being all paper money.

I see those things ALL the time, but no one says a word about it, yet let me do my phone business for 3 seconds, and all of a sudden I'm the woman caught in adultery.

With all due respect--shove it.

I walk and text--so what? I use my phone at the dinner table--yeah, so? I promise you that your snotty noisy brat is making a whole lot more noise than my phone is (which, incidentally, I'll have on vibrate if it's a high-dollar eating place vs Wendy's etc). I read magazine articles on the phone, yeah so? What's it to you?

What difference does it make? Where were these posts when people were distracted due to reading a book or magazine vs paying attention to their surroundings? Where were these posts about joggers getting hit by a car because they had their Walkmans up so loud they didn't hear the horn? We've had the Internet since the late 1990s, back when in fact we still had Walkmans vs MP3 players or phones functioning as MP3 players, but it's only been since smartphones that people started throwing stones or mocking such accidents.

Enough, please.

Do you feel better now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events