Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 12:47 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
The passing of Beau Biden is hardly "drama" ... anyone with any basic awareness of current events (particularly events involving current major political figures) knows about his passing.

But clearly you're in love with the man and he can do no wrong in your eyes, so I'm sure this is a wasted post.
He can do wrong, I just dont think he did. He made an inconsequential mistake that scuffed his image with democrats and the media ran with it like it was a scandal or something...big deal. The democrats and the media will never like a republican so I doubt he loses much sleep over it.

If his goal was to make Washington insiders like him then he is going about it the wrong way. But I do not think that is his goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 01:03 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you don't know how to use the quote feature here, just say so. I'm sure someone would be happy to help.

I didn't say Biden didn't need a filter, so why are you even bringing that up? To try and change the topic?

Clearly you missed the rest of my post.
You are right, I clearly don't understand the magic of the quote feature. I just do not like it.

Your point is that Ted Cruz is classless because he made a calculated jab at a political opponent during a time when he fully knew that his son died. I agree it is classless, but is it surprising? I have never claimed to like or support Cruz. I was giving the Biden comparison to show that many (libs) are pretending like Biden is faultless and a smooth talker and that he has never said anything scummy or controversial. Politicians are all scummy and stupid when they can get away with it. Biden is no saint. Remember the Hillary Clinton "Shame on you Barack Obama"/muslim outfit picture? They are all scum.

But my bigger point:

I am sick of fake outrage stories. For instance right now on several media outlets there is a "story" about some teachers letter to Stephen Curry about something... Then some other guy wrote a letter back to the teacher. It's not even a story.... now the media is publishing stories about "outrage over controversial letter to Stephen Curry." It's all to push a liberal education agenda and a completely innocent man is now having his name associated with the educational and socioeconomic problems in this country for absolutely no reason. These manufactured controversies are getting tiresome. Everyone is just so offended about every little thing... Anyone who has any kind of public presence could be a target for anything they say and the media can try them in the court of public opinion in an instant.

Here in Oregon a business man was for some odd reason asked about Bruce Jenner at a press conference... How is that relevant to anything? He said "well I'm a live and let live kind of guy." Then the reporter pressed him further. "So you support Gay marriage." He is a conservative manufacturing CEO and after a long pause (where I'm sure he said in his head OH ****, I'm screwed either way now, stick to conservative ideals), he said "No, I don't support gay marriage." So in an instant a story about creating good paying jobs in Oregon turned into Jerry Schutz is an anti-gay bigot, stop buying his products story.

I'm sick of it. I do not want to live in a society that promotes free speech at face value but then twists everything to fit an agenda, and for no actual reason other than for a bunch of busybody "journalists" to create a name for themselves. It's a problem perpetrated in all sections of the political spectrum.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaferOne View Post
This is an interesting article on McCarthy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneSeeAuthorBelow
When I wrote a ferocious defense of Sen. Joe McCarthy in Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism , liberals chose not to argue with me. Instead they posted a scrolling series of reasons not to read my book, such as that I wear short skirts, date boys, and that "Treason" was not a scholarly tome.

After printing rabidly venomous accounts of McCarthy for half a century based on zero research, liberals would only accept research presenting an alternative view of McCarthy that included, as the Los Angeles Times put it, at least the "pretense of scholarly throat-clearing and objectivity."

This week, they got it. The great M. Stanton Evans has finally released Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies . Based on a lifetime's work, including nearly a decade of thoroughgoing research, stores of original documents and never-before-seen government files, this 672-page book ends the argument on Joe McCarthy. Look for it hidden behind stacks of Bill Clinton's latest self-serving book at a bookstore near you.

Evans' book is such a tour de force that liberals are already preparing a "yesterday's news" defense -- as if they had long ago admitted the truth about McCarthy. Yes, and they fought shoulder to shoulder with Ronald Reagan to bring down the Evil Empire. Thus, Publishers Weekly preposterously claims that "the history Evans relates is already largely known, if not fully accepted." Somebody better tell George Clooney.

The McCarthy period is the Rosetta stone of all liberal lies. It is the textbook on how they rewrite history -- the sound chamber of liberal denunciations, their phony victimhood as they demean and oppress their enemies, their false imputation of dishonesty to their opponents, their legalization of every policy dispute, their ability to engage in lock-step shouting campaigns, and the black motives concealed by their endless cacophony.

The true story of Joe McCarthy, told in meticulous, irrefutable detail in "Blacklisted by History," is that from 1938 to 1946, the Democratic Party acquiesced in a monstrous conspiracy being run through the State Department, the military establishment, and even the White House to advance the Soviet cause within the U.S. government.

In the face of the Democrats' absolute refusal to admit to their fecklessness, fatuity and recklessness in allowing known Soviet spies to penetrate the deepest levels of government, McCarthy demanded an accounting.

Even if one concedes to on-the-one-hand-on-the-other-hand whiners like Ronald Radosh that Truman's Secretary of State Dean Acheson didn't like communism, his record is what it was. And that record was to treat Soviet spies like members of the Hasty Pudding Club.

Rather than own up to their moral blindness to Soviet espionage, Democrats fired up the liberal slander machine, which would be deployed again and again over the next half century to the present day. In hiding their own perfidy, liberals were guilty of every sin they lyingly imputed to McCarthy. There were no "McCarthyites" until liberals came along.

Blacklisted by History proves that every conventional belief about McCarthy is wrong, including:

-- That he lied about his war service: He was a tailgunner in World War II;
-- That he was a drunk: He would generally nurse a single drink all night;
-- That he made the whole thing up: He produced loads of Soviet spies in government jobs;
-- That he just did it for political gain: He understood perfectly the godless evil of communism.

Ironically, for all of their love of conspiracy theories -- the rigging of the 2000 election, vote suppression in Ohio in 2004, 9/11 being an inside job, oil companies covering up miracle technology that would allow cars to run on dirt, Britney Spears' career, etc., etc. -- when presented with an actual conspiracy of Soviet spies infiltrating the U.S. government, they laughed it off like world-weary skeptics and dedicated themselves to slandering Joe McCarthy.

Then as now, liberals protect themselves from detection with wild calumnies against anybody who opposes them. They have no interest in -- or aptitude for -- persuasion. Their goal is to anathematize their enemies. Blacklisted by History removes the curse from one of the greatest patriots in American history.

COPYRIGHT 2007 ANN COULTER
DISTRIBUTED BY UNIVERSAL PRESS SYNDICATE
4520 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64111
I originally gave you the benefit of the doubt and figured you might have been young and just hadn't been taught anything about McCarthy. I was wrong. I see now that you have in fact swallowed the Kool-Aid of the right wing droid army and are marching in lock step with their agenda. You've been railing about the 'establishment' and how you're an independent thinking contrarian who's pushing back against their group-think. Your "yeah me too" quote from Ann Coulter shows you're NOT an independent thinker. You are well and truly a unit of the establishment ... The extreme right wing establishment. You do know there are two monolithic 'establishments' in this country now, don't you? You have been absorbed.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Cruz Jokes about Biden during his time of grief.

He had to be chided before he apologized for his crass words.
Poor timing but Biden is a joke at times. Cruz don't know discretion. Glad I wont vote for him.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:18 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Cruz was hugely involved in the government shutdown that cost us billions and whose ongoing effects are still apparent. He will not be voted in, people haven't forgotten his role in the debacle.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaferOne View Post
haha! You've presented no evidence and yet when I do the digging you don't like what I dig up. Pretty lazy, aren't we?

Are you a child? You act like one.

Saying that I need to produce evidence about the lies McCarthy told is like saying I need to produce evidence that the Holocaust really happened, or WWII took place. It's a part of history in this country. It's been proven many times over by the people before me who lived through it.

You want proof? Read books/articles by legitimate sources and not some extreme nut spewing claptrap and vitriol.

But of course you won't educate yourself because then you would have to admit you're wrong. Everyone here knows the history of McCarthy but you. So every time you ask for proof you appear dumber and dumber.

McCarthyism is the practice of making accusations of subversion or treason without proper regard for evidence. It also means "the practice of making unfair allegations or using unfair investigative techniques, especially in order to restrict dissent or political criticism.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Poor timing but Biden is a joke at times. Cruz don't know discretion. Glad I wont vote for him.
I don't think people were objecting to the content of what was said, just the timing.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
You are right, I clearly don't understand the magic of the quote feature. I just do not like it.

Your point is that Ted Cruz is classless because he made a calculated jab at a political opponent during a time when he fully knew that his son died. I agree it is classless, but is it surprising? I have never claimed to like or support Cruz. I was giving the Biden comparison to show that many (libs) are pretending like Biden is faultless and a smooth talker and that he has never said anything scummy or controversial. Politicians are all scummy and stupid when they can get away with it. Biden is no saint. Remember the Hillary Clinton "Shame on you Barack Obama"/muslim outfit picture? They are all scum.

But my bigger point:

I am sick of fake outrage stories. For instance right now on several media outlets there is a "story" about some teachers letter to Stephen Curry about something... Then some other guy wrote a letter back to the teacher. It's not even a story.... now the media is publishing stories about "outrage over controversial letter to Stephen Curry." It's all to push a liberal education agenda and a completely innocent man is now having his name associated with the educational and socioeconomic problems in this country for absolutely no reason. These manufactured controversies are getting tiresome. Everyone is just so offended about every little thing... Anyone who has any kind of public presence could be a target for anything they say and the media can try them in the court of public opinion in an instant.

Here in Oregon a business man was for some odd reason asked about Bruce Jenner at a press conference... How is that relevant to anything? He said "well I'm a live and let live kind of guy." Then the reporter pressed him further. "So you support Gay marriage." He is a conservative manufacturing CEO and after a long pause (where I'm sure he said in his head OH ****, I'm screwed either way now, stick to conservative ideals), he said "No, I don't support gay marriage." So in an instant a story about creating good paying jobs in Oregon turned into Jerry Schutz is an anti-gay bigot, stop buying his products story.

I'm sick of it. I do not want to live in a society that promotes free speech at face value but then twists everything to fit an agenda, and for no actual reason other than for a bunch of busybody "journalists" to create a name for themselves. It's a problem perpetrated in all sections of the political spectrum.

Sorry, but I believe this is real outrage, not fake. That was classless and low. And not surprising, but why should his feet not be held to the fire just because Cruz is a moron?

I am also sick of fake outrage. It's a form of manipulation and a way to be punitive to people who did or said things that should fall under the category of misstep, and not some huge egregious transgression. Americans are addicted to it. It's the modern day cry of "Stone him!!"

ETA: The quote feature would make your posts easier to read and understand. It's hard to tell who said what when people don't use it.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:51 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
No class at all for Cruz.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:54 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
I cannot stand Cruz, but -- please -- it was a stump speech given on autopilot. He probably didn't even know what was coming out of his mouth. It wasn't calculated; he's simply inept, and that's the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events