Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 03:08 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,146,580 times

Advertisements

What a complete violation of his rights. The punishment did not fit the crime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 03:20 PM

520 posts, read 533,310 times
Wait a second. He committed suicide at home, not in jail, and he tried to commit suicide even while in jail years before when he was in there. Are we sure hes not just a suicidal case? I mean the charges were dropped and he was at home. Somethings wrong with the spin on this story.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:37 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,341,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Wait a second. He committed suicide at home, not in jail, and he tried to commit suicide even while in jail years before when he was in there. Are we sure hes not just a suicidal case? I mean the charges were dropped and he was at home. Somethings wrong with the spin on this story.
Seriously?

The kid was confined at Riker's Island when he was 16 years old. He spent over a year and a half in solitary confinement. He was beaten by both inmates and corrections(sic) officers... I'd love to think of what kind of mental state that you would have been in after that.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:43 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,838,587 times
Quote:
Gee, maybe he was just a suicidal case...

Or - here's a thought - being jailed for three years, two of them in solitary confinement, on suspicion of stealing a backpack (nice allocation of limited resources there, New York, to say nothing of your complete contempt for the Bill of Rights in this case) just might be a contributing factor in the suicide. But then, I'm just one of those people who thinks that being sprung from being in jail for three years, beginning at the age of 16, doesn't magically make everything all better and erase the trauma of those three years.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:14 PM

I'm always amazed by the reactionaries who frequent this forum who are always bemoaning the abuses of government and the betrayal of the Constitution over the most trivial of governmental acts but who are consistently and abjectly silent over the abuses of the most basic principles of the very same Constitution.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:15 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,858,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Only in America.
You cannot be serious.

I suggest intensive education in world history and introducing yourself to more than a few current regimes.

I don't jnow whether it's amusing or sad to see the fruits of today's educational system on display.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I'm always amazed by the reactionaries who frequent this forum who are always bemoaning the abuses of government and the betrayal of the Constitution over the most trivial of governmental acts but who are consistently and abjectly silent over the abuses of the most basic principles of the very same Constitution.
Agreed!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,949,095 times
Quote:
I guess you never heard the song "30 days in the hole". That's about how long it takes the average persons mind to go from solitary confinement. But most recover. Two years. You aren't a person after that. You never recover. At that point removing a person from solitary is what will kill them. Yes we are sure he was not a suicidal case. Three years ago, that is. What "spin" would you be referring to? The spin that it was wrong to keep a teen-ager in solitary for two years?

Old 06-11-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I guess you never heard the song "30 days in the hole". That's about how long it takes the average persons mind to go from solitary confinement. But most recover. Two years. You aren't a person after that. You never recover. At that point removing a person from solitary is what will kill them. Yes we are sure he was not a suicidal case. Three years ago, that is. What "spin" would you be referring to? The spin that it was wrong to keep a teen-ager in solitary for two years?
I really hope that the family pursues a lawsuit. He would never have been able to recover after being placed in solitary confinement. His punishment was extremely cruel.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
His punishment was extremely cruel.
Here's the thing, this wasn't punishment. Mr. Browder refused to plead guilty, refusing every plea deal that he was offered while steadfastly proclaiming his innocence. Mr. Browder was not serving a sentence he was being held on a 3,000 bond (later revoked due to a previous charge that had placed him on probation) awaiting trial, a trial that was delayed by the prosecution for three years.

How this isn't the most flagrant violation of the 6th Amendment is simply incomprehensible to me. The New York state law regarding speed trial is a total joke. If the prosecution requests a one week extension it make take up to six weeks to secure a new trial date, five of those weeks do not count against the prosecution. So there we have it, a young boy who became a man in one of the worst jails in the country who is presumptively innocent until proven guilty, languishing in a jail for three years without trial on offenses that would ultimately be dismissed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events