Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 11:38 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
What was the name of the 80's 90's [???] movie where a white HS student turned "black" to get into college and to get scholarships?
Soul Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 11:38 AM

8,241 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
She was nearly grown when her parents adopted four black kids. Your hypothesis is wrong. Sorry.
Ok, that makes the whole situation even more confusing to me. I think I need to go read something else more sane. This is just crazy.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And that's why I say "Baby Boom Generation" should be cut off at 1959 or should only include "people who don't remember the Korean War but do remember the JFK assassination."

Those born as late as 1964 or 1965 entered a very, very different social climate (not just different as regards to race) from those born from 1946 to 1959.
Well. no offense, but I've been classified as a Baby Boomer for as long as I can remember and that's what I am. Born in 1962.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:41 AM

Rachel Dolezal resigns, according to letter on NAACP Facebook page

Letter: Rachel Dolezal resigns as NAACP president - CNN.com

Old 06-15-2015, 11:45 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
All jokes aside, I actually feel bad for her. If she wants to be black, let her be black. I don't see the harm.

.......... The jokes have been great though. The people who have been missing out on the hilarious jokes by taking this story seriously don't know what they've been missing out on.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:47 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
There are no advantages to being black in this country, so her reasons for doing this are an interesting psychological study. It's not hard to understand someone completely submerging themselves in black culture once they have gotten familiar with it. The culture is full of extraordinary people of great compassion, depth, intelligence, genius, pizzazz, and character. Maybe she identified with this on a deep level. It's an interesting study, and I wish her well.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:47 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well. no offense, but I've been classified as a Baby Boomer for as long as I can remember and that's what I am. Born in 1962.
If you were to go to the library and pull documents from the 60s, however, those called out "WWII Baby Boom" and "Korean War Babv Boomlet," cutting the boomlet off at 1959.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:49 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
CNN Reports....

Rachel Dolezal -- the president of the NAACP Spokane, Washington, chapter -- has resigned, according to a letter from her that was posted on the chapter's Facebook page.

Called It. (June 12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As I said before, is a dilemma faced by the NAACP. They have to make sure that any adverse action they might take against this woman is fully understood as a matter of her deceit, not her race.

One would think that should be obvious--white people have always held high offices in the NAACP from its very inception. But the enemies of the NAACP would ignore that and claim "Hypocrites!" in a heartbeat.

In fact, that was done early in this very topic before the NAACP had even made a statement about the matter.
Called it.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:51 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
^Indeed. They had to find a bogeyman to blame.

If society truly became color blind, then NAACP would have no reason to exist.

Delicious example of an organization that absolutely does not want what it advocates for.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
There are no advantages to being black in this country, so her reasons for doing this are an interesting psychological study. It's not hard to understand someone completely submerging themselves in black culture once they have gotten familiar with it. The culture is full of extraordinary people of great compassion, depth, intelligence, genius, pizzazz, and character. Maybe she identified with this on a deep level. It's an interesting study, and I wish her well.
There are circumstances where pretending to be a race that you are not has it's advantage. No one really know if she had uses this to her advantage until the full truth comes out. It may have started with a small lie that got bigger and bigger until someone blow the whistle.

This isn't an issue of how she identify herself. It's about how she may have portray who she is to possibly gain advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events