Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Cable companies are the most despised companies there are.

It appalls me that our cable/internet/phone bundle costs twice what our electric bill does.

100+ channels, of which we watch maybe 12, but there is no choice except cord cutting.
Um...what other choice do you want besides cord cutting? The cord is causing the issue.

There are options like YouTube TV, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Roku, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 05:22 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never had a problem getting just internet anywhere that I have lived... They like to play up the "it's much cheaper to bundle" and "you'd only have to pay $20 MORE for tv..." angle, but I simply tell them I'm not interested in bundling, and its not cheaper if I have to pay $20 extra each month.
My option for getting stand alone internet would mean going down to 25 (whatever they are ) speed and hubby gets angry at the thought of it. He says we need at least 100.

If I could get good stand alone internet, I would just get an antenna because we are not too far from a city with a few channels. That would be enough. Then I would get Brit Box for good tv to watch. The issue is the slower internet that hubby won't consider.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:01 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You just have to call them up when your promotion expires to get a new one. I've been paying the same price for internet since I signed up for it years and years ago. They give me a discount that last for 12 months, and 12 months later I call and get a new discount. Yes going through the prompts and having to hear them say "Have you considered bundling..." and "I see you don't have cable or home phone through us..." about 20 times in the span of 30 minutes is annoying.. But it saves me $30 a month, which is half off my internet bill.

Sometimes I do have to thrown in a "You know, I could switch to so-and-so and continue paying the same price I was paying for internet, and since they're currently offering $0 set up fees it wouldn't cost me anything to switch..."
I tried that and it didn't work the last time. MY feeling is they are clamping down because they are loosing customers, I even told them, that since they aren't giving me a discount, I would drop my premium stations; which I did and that saved $54/mo or $648/year. At least I will wait until the last episode of GOT airs and then I will pay for only long enough to see all the episodes and then pick up ditch HBO again! They want to play games; I can play too. All I want is a little appreciation since I have been a loyal customer for many decades. Of course that would change in a second if I had a better alternative.

I would really like to have a company that we pay only for what we watch; because I really do not watch that much anymore.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:14 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
I was paying ~$200 a month for cableTV.. 5 TVs with most every channel available. I tried several occasions to negotiate a lower rate and even looked at cutting back some of the packages but the savings was so minuscule it was silly. Eventually, i told my wife enough.. oddly, the kids never watched TV so it was just me and my wife.. so we cut the cord and now have YoutubeTV.. so far i like it a lot. If your a sports fan, youtubetv offers the best lineup...plus saving over $150 per month aint bad!

Old 11-05-2018, 08:51 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I tried that and it didn't work the last time. MY feeling is they are clamping down because they are loosing customers, I even told them, that since they aren't giving me a discount, I would drop my premium stations; which I did and that saved $54/mo or $648/year. At least I will wait until the last episode of GOT airs and then I will pay for only long enough to see all the episodes and then pick up ditch HBO again! They want to play games; I can play too. All I want is a little appreciation since I have been a loyal customer for many decades. Of course that would change in a second if I had a better alternative.

I would really like to have a company that we pay only for what we watch; because I really do not watch that much anymore.
Comcast doesn't care. The reality is that they make more money from selling you over-priced Internet than cut-rate cable.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:48 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Because it should be. Because the prices are insane. If anything just one whole package. It's been around since the 80s, it might as well just be free.
On that basis, makers should be paying us to haul away new cars.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:16 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I was paying ~$200 a month for cableTV.. 5 TVs with most every channel available. I tried several occasions to negotiate a lower rate and even looked at cutting back some of the packages but the savings was so minuscule it was silly. Eventually, i told my wife enough.. oddly, the kids never watched TV so it was just me and my wife.. so we cut the cord and now have YoutubeTV.. so far i like it a lot. If your a sports fan, youtubetv offers the best lineup...plus saving over $150 per month aint bad!
I watched a Red Sox game on you tube tv free trial and it worked great. I don't watch much in the way of sports otherwise, but I want to get Brit Box or Acorn tv. AND I need to get lower priced internet. This is so confusing because I think I want to get an antenna for the bedroom tv--I don't know if that will get tv in the LR too or if I'll have to get a second antenna for that. That's because we do want to watch some live tv, like the news on local channels.

And then I have to figure out how to use my Roku to access the Brit Box that I want I found the number to call Brit Box for setup help and I guess I'll start a free trial with them.

Then I could dump the Comcast basic tv/internet bundle. But hubby doesn't want to go down to 60 speed from 200. This is making me nuts! But it looks like you just have to bite the bullet and dedicated at least a few full days to trying to make it happen.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:37 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Then I could dump the Comcast basic tv/internet bundle. But hubby doesn't want to go down to 60 speed from 200. This is making me nuts! But it looks like you just have to bite the bullet and dedicated at least a few full days to trying to make it happen.
60mbps is two to three times what any household needs. The only counterargument comes from cable company marketing materials.

You could get hubby to make a list of why he "needs" 200mbps service, or anything much over 60, or anything much over baseline 25-40 service. It's like "needing" a car that can go 175 instead of only 120.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:39 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Um...what other choice do you want besides cord cutting? The cord is causing the issue.

There are options like YouTube TV, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Roku, etc.
My fiancé wanted to cut cable, and I just can't do it yet. I hated that I couldn't watch TV like I was used to. We bought a smart TV, had Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. But I don't watch an entire show like that. Yesterday I flipped around between football, CNN, and occasionally swapped CNN for The Office.

I hated on the smart TV that I couldn't do that, that it wasn't just flipping back and forth, but exiting one program and waiting for a new one to load, etc. One night I was watching Modern Family on cable at 11pm. At the 11:15 commercial, I went up to bed and wanted to watch the rest in bed, where we had the smart TV but not cable. I get all comfy in bed, lights are out, I load Hulu....and get "please enter your password". I didn't remember the password, had to get out of bed, put clothes on, go find it on my computer, and by the time I got done clicking through the stupid online keyboard to enter everything, the show was over.

I registered for CNN multiple times, but every 5th time or so I'd get a message "you are watching a trial version of CNN, please enter this code at CNN.com to continue watching" even though I had done that multiple times in the past. It was just a PITA. I would yell at the "smart" TV sometimes in frustration, "I don't want to do all this, I just want to watch TV!"

Maybe I'm just too old, but I found it frustrating. I also don't want to watch TV like that. I want to watch what's ON TV right now, lol. I want an onscreen guide. I want to flip around and accidentally discover new shows that I end up loving.

My fiancé would still be okay without cable, but I am a TV baby from the 70's, I love TV, even my grandparents ate dinner on tray tables in front of the TV, and for me so far I'm willing to swallow the expense vs the smart "dumb" TV, lol.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:42 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've heard this claim before and it always comes from a customer on the phone trying to drop everything except internet, and relying on the CS-bot's word.

Drill down on the Comcast/Xfinity site for services in your area, and keep drilling past the animated bundle offers. You might just be surprised.
You are right, my brother cut cable and went to just antenna based tv, but kept his Comcast internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events