Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:40 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,262,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm enjoying watching Rose twist in the wind and hope he never gets in.
It is kinda fun, isn't it? *evil grin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
The rule on betting on baseball is posted in every clubhouse of every major league team and has been for decades. Unless Pete Rose can't read, he doesn't deserve induction in the HOF.
There is that possibility ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Short of Joe Jackson.. Name a player from that team who was banned that even merits HoF discussion. Eddie Cicotte, perhaps, could have a case made.
Doesn't matter; bend the rules for one player, bend the rules for all players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:52 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,560,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This guy happens to be a cheating, lying, rude, mean D-Bag, who happened to be one of the best baseball players ever. Much like Ty Cobb.
Yep!
I hated everything Ty Cobb stood for. But yet i would still want son to play the game like he did, with no regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Why is there any evidence that Pete Rose tanked a game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Rose was never accused of betting against the Reds.
Do You two trust a guy that has lied for 30 plus years? It seems like every 10 years we find out more damaging stuff about this guy.
The funny part in all of this is, if he would of just come clean in 1989 it would of all just gone away.
Giamatti worked out a deal for Rose. All he had to do was come clean and go into rehab and he would not be suspended. This Clown wanted to play hard ball with MLB
Looks like Bob Feller was right all along about Pete Rose

Old 06-25-2015, 02:43 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Yep!
I hated everything Ty Cobb stood for. But yet i would still want son to play the game like he did, with no regrets

Do You two trust a guy that has lied for 30 plus years? It seems like every 10 years we find out more damaging stuff about this guy.
The funny part in all of this is, if he would of just come clean in 1989 it would of all just gone away.
Giamatti worked out a deal for Rose. All he had to do was come clean and go into rehab and he would not be suspended. This Clown wanted to play hard ball with MLB
Looks like Bob Feller was right all along about Pete Rose
Well.. You might want to try to avoid the going into the stands to attack a fan.. And, if I recall correctly, the fan was blind, or in a wheelchair or something like that? Ah.. He was missing a hand and three fingers on the hand he did have.. Cobb stated "I don't care if he got no feet!"

Trust is irrelevant to me.. Does what he did on the field merit inclusion in the HoF? To me, yes. You don't kick OJ out of the Football Hall of Fame.. I say Pete deserves to be in the Hall.. However, I am still perfectly fine with him being on the permanently ineligible list.

Remember.. The part keeping him out of the HoF was instituted AFTER he was banned. He was banned in August of 1989, the rule about the HoF was instituted in February 1991.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:27 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,266,042 times
Quote:
Well.. You might want to try to avoid the going into the stands to attack a fan.. And, if I recall correctly, the fan was blind, or in a wheelchair or something like that? Ah.. He was missing a hand and three fingers on the hand he did have.. Cobb stated "I don't care if he got no feet!"

One of my favorite parts in the movie "Cobb", because the fan that got beat up by Cobb was played by Jimmy Buffet. Great to see the annoying Buffet get whapped while knowing that he didn't REALLY get hurt.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:30 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
One of my favorite parts in the movie "Cobb", because the fan that got beat up by Cobb was played by Jimmy Buffet. Great to see the annoying Buffet get whapped while knowing that he didn't REALLY get hurt.
A great, and very underrated movie.. Great performance by TLJ and about the only thing I've liked with Robert Wuhl in it.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:39 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,266,042 times
Quote:
...about the only thing I've liked with Robert Wuhl in it.

Have you seen "The Hollywood Knights"?

"Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia, he's an English guy, he came to fight the Turkish...."

"Cobb" was really good. Too bad it went nowhere at the box office. Releasing a movie about a baseball player in the middle of winter wasn't a great idea, although that probably didn't make that much difference. It only played for one week at one theater, and when I went to see it with a friend of mine, the two of us made up 50% of the audience.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:56 PM

569 posts, read 780,763 times
All the people hung up on whether he bet for or against his team need apparently don't understand this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Doesn't matter if he bet for or against his team. Sure, it seems more noble if he's betting on his team, but who's to say he doesn't let his starter go 150 pitches & play a couple guys nursing a bum knee & tender wrist (knowing either could sustain a season-ending injury) all in the name of winning THAT day?
Not only that, if he bet on his team to one game but not another, he'd be tempted to throw competitive balance and integrity of the game out the window by doing things like:
* Wear out his entire bullpen on one game without regards to what will happen the game he didn't bet on
* Mess with the starting rotation in an effort to win the game he bet on
* Rest position players based on when he has/hasn't placed bets

In short, it may not be as obvious as it would be if he bets on his team to lose, but there are big-time reasons why it's absolutely forbidden either way.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:17 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,560,930 times
Quote:

Trust is irrelevant to me.. Does what he did on the field merit inclusion in the HoF? To me, yes. You don't kick OJ out of the Football Hall of Fame.. I say Pete deserves to be in the Hall.. However, I am still perfectly fine with him being on the permanently ineligible list.

Remember.. The part keeping him out of the HoF was instituted AFTER he was banned. He was banned in August of 1989, the rule about the HoF was instituted in February 1991.
1) OJ Killed 2 people almost 20 years after he quit playing. he was already in the HOF.
2) If You let in Pete you have to let in Mark, Sammy, Bonds, Clemens, White Sox ect...
I'm ok with letting Pete Rose in but, everybody else gets to come in also or i come off as a hypocrite

Old 06-25-2015, 05:02 PM

534 posts, read 1,171,555 times
I think we may see the same behavior of Pete Rose manifest itself in Clemens or Bonds as time goes on and they start to get long in the tooth.

Well, maybe not from Bonds, as he seems to be more of an obstinate dickh$%d than most people. But I think Clemens is certainly wishy-washy enough to waffle on his claims of innocence as the years pass. Unless, of course, he "mis-remembers" something... .

Betting - whether for or against your team - is certainly not a good thing, but I think there's an important difference between Pete and the others. Namely that Pete's performance as a player was never in dispute. But can we ever trust the numbers put up by Bonds or Clemens?

They all "cheated"/"lied" in one way or another, but Pete never falsely boosted his performance, and I think performance is really what should be at the core of HoF selection.

A compromise: as a lifelong Red Sox fan, I say we let Pete in and kick all the Yankees out .

Old 12-14-2015, 01:27 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,688,988 times
Denied, looks like he still doesn't get it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...172812195.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events