Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:15 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Their crime rates are extremely low. Their population is about 10.7 million I believe.
And their demographics ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 10:23 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
As a Libertarian, this is what I support...legalize all drugs but at the same time, educate about the dangers especially to teenagers. This doesn't mean I want to consume drugs, I just don't think anyone else should have the authority to force me not to do it. It doesn't seem like legalization has caused an increase in marijuana consumption is Washington to me and Portugal shows that it doesn't mean increased hard drug use either.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
As a Libertarian, this is what I support...legalize all drugs but at the same time, educate about the dangers especially to teenagers. This doesn't mean I want to consume drugs, I just don't think anyone else should have the authority to force me not to do it. It doesn't seem like legalization has caused an increase in marijuana consumption is Washington to me and Portugal shows that it doesn't mean increased hard drug use either.
Teenagers (and kids) are already being educated about the dangers of drugs at most schools. Usually health class touches on this, and also DARE programs. It's not working now, it won't work then.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:31 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Teenagers (and kids) are already being educated about the dangers of drugs at most schools. Usually health class touches on this, and also DARE programs. It's not working now, it won't work then.
It's not working now so we shouldn't try anything different...keep doing what's not working? Is that you are suggesting or do you have another proposal. To me what we're doing now locking up young men for most of their lives is a huge waste of lives, isn't it worth trying new ideas?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:37 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
unfortunately those DARE programs were ineffective and may have actually caused participants to experiment with illegal substances D.A.R.E. Was Laughably Bad; Are New School Anti-Drug Programs Any Better?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
And their demographics ?
95.6% Indigenous Portuguese
4.21% Foreign Born

A few hundred thousand Illegals. sorry this Wikipedia article is the best I could find.

Resident foreigners[edit]
While many earlier immigrants have now become naturalised citizens, there are still substantial numbers of foreign citizens resident in Portugal.

According to Statistics Portugal http://www.ine.pt/xportal/xmain?xpid...pi&selTab=tab0 there were 10,636,979 persons resident in Portugal in 2010, of whom 103,230 (0.97%) were citizens of other EU countries, and 344,853 (3.24%) were citizens of non EU countries.

Brazilians are the most prevalent foreign nationality. The 119,552 resident Brazilians are 1.12% of the total population. Other significant nationalities are the Ukrainians (0.47%), people from Cape Verde (0.42%), Romanians (0.35%), Angolans (0.22%), people from Guinea-Bissau (0.19%) and citizens of the United Kingdom (0.18%). There are also Chinese and Moldovans (0.15% each), people from São Tomé and Príncipe (0.10%), Germans, Spaniards and Bulgarians (0.08% each), Indians, Russians, French and Italians (0.05% each) as well as citizens of the Netherlands (0.04%) and Mozambicans (0.03%). The numbers of Pakistanis, Americans, Venezuelans, Moroccans, Belgians and Senegalese (0.02% each) are also not insignificant. There are numerous additional nationalities present but communities of less than 1,500 persons are not listed here.

Illegal immigration[edit]
In 2006 the Portuguese government made it easier for second generation immigrants to gain citizenship in order to prevent illegal immigration. [5][6] There are now estimated to be 260,000 immigrants from Russia, Ukraine and Moldova in Portugal, half of these illegal. Most work in prostitution or agriculture.[7]

Illegal immigration rose by 55% in 2009 most of the illegals being Brazilian nationals[8] Employers of illegal immigrants in Portugal face jail terms.[9]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Portugal

Old 07-13-2015, 10:44 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Exactly. They don’t listen. They don’t hear. Teen agers have their own ecosphere and parents are often the last to know.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's not working now so we shouldn't try anything different...keep doing what's not working? Is that you are suggesting or do you have another proposal. To me what we're doing now locking up young men for most of their lives is a huge waste of lives, isn't it worth trying new ideas?
You suggested education programs in schools to teach kids the dangers of drugs. I said it already happens and is not very effective. Do YOU have an alternate idea since the one you suggested is currently in use and not effective?

My point was to tell you that education programs already exist. I don't have to think of new ideas or propose something. I'm simply telling you that anti-drug programs and education in schools already exist.

EDIT: Sorry, you didn't suggest in schools, you suggested in general. But they are part of the curriculum in certain classes/grades in most schools (and schools are probably where it's easiest to teach kids about these things, since they're all together in one place), plus there are anti-drug commercials and ads out there all the time, so the education is readily available but apparently not very effective since so many teens and people in general do drugs like heroin.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:47 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
If this were to ever happen in the United States, then I would wish that it would come with the stipulation that the taxpayers are not on the hook for the cost of drug rehabilitation or drug-related hospitalizations for a drug user. This way, people could use whatever drug they want, but the taxpayers would not have to pay for associated care related to drug use.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:06 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
decriminalizing drugs would end most gang related inner city violence, probably reduce prison populations by 30-40% (saving billions each year) and yes some people would probably still use drugs, but guess what they use drugs now. Prohibition doesn't work, it never has worked and it won't start working now, no matter how hard we might wish that it would. For anyone interested here are some links that might change some minds about the issue.

"The House I live in" available on Amazon, Netflix, Vudu Watch the film | The House I Live In
Here's a short segment from the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ4VFqXVrJE

Johann Hari author of Chasing the Scream The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think*|*Johann Hari

Dr. Carl Hart, Neuroscientist "The case for decriminalization" The Scientific Case for Decriminalization - Reason.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events