Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,770,534 times

Advertisements

Don't or didn't the Dutch have a rather relaxed drug policy as well? How does or did that turn out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 02:13 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Maybe you should move there if you think it is such a great policy. We have a heroin epidemic in this country of epic proportions. Hundreds of addicts are overdosing each week. Get a clue.
If making heroin illegal didn't help the problem, maybe it's time to look at other solutions. We spend billions on law enforcement and lock up hundreds of thousands of people trying "fix" the drug problem. Maybe some of that money could be spent on treatment and education.

But you and I both know that the prison industry will lobby long and hard against any changes.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:16 PM

755 posts, read 676,368 times
Quote:
Maybe you should move there if you think it is such a great policy. We have a heroin epidemic in this country of epic proportions. Hundreds of addicts are overdosing each week. Get a clue.

What do you think about alcohol? Is there a problem with DUI's and abuse and deaths and violence related to alcohol?

Is alcoholism killing people and destroying families.......of course not that is why it is legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
If this were to ever happen in the United States, then I would wish that it would come with the stipulation that the taxpayers are not on the hook for the cost of drug rehabilitation or drug-related hospitalizations for a drug user. This way, people could use whatever drug they want, but the taxpayers would not have to pay for associated care related to drug use.
Why not? Taxpayers are on the hook for law enforcement and keeping people incarcerated for incredibly long sentences. It would probably cost much less to decriminalize drugs and treat addicts.

25,947 posts, read 24,770,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
In terms of taking hard drugs, that person right or wrong chose to partake in it. However; I do feel the medical industry and their promoting of prescription opiates did contribute to the growing heroin epidemic. Herion and prescription opiates have similar qualities. So, here is what happens. Pill user gets hooked, eventually that user cannot get more legal pills, so he/she hits the streets, and if he/she can't find them there, then that person goes for heroin.

As for mild plants, you mean like cannabis, or using the coca plant in it's natural form? The Incas used to chew the leaves of the coca plant for energy, and that probably wasn't a bad thing. Then we as in society find a way to synthesize it, and cut it with all sorts of bad stuff and you have cocaine! So, based on your post here do you support those who choose to use a more natural option such as cannabis, or the coca plant?
I don't know if people (here) start their drug careers with pills.

Basically yes. I know farmers have been chewing/drinking/eating/smoking mild plant drugs in different parts of the world for a long time. Those are tried and tested drugs so to speak

Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If making heroin illegal didn't help the problem, maybe it's time to look at other solutions. We spend billions on law enforcement and lock up hundreds of thousands of people trying "fix" the drug problem. Maybe some of that money could be spent on treatment and education.

But you and I both know that the prison industry will lobby long and hard against any changes.

How dare you put 2 and 2 together and come up with four.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Graphs and everything. So how many people live in Portugal anyway, 12? I bet you can get a good deal on a condo there. Good luck in your move.
So you "disagree" with the article because it has graphs, , and because you don't know how many people live in Portugal. Do you have anything substantive?

Old 07-14-2015, 02:24 PM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC
13.7 unemployment rate as of the first quarter of this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What did it used to be? You stat is only relevant in terms of showing a relationship between the unemployment rate and the legalization of drugs, I'm not sure what your point is in posting it without the context that info would give?

Brilliant. I love it when someone identifies garbage posts and calls them out on it, pointing out the propagandist attempt to support their POV no matter how the evidence doesn't support their position.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:04 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,095,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
The couple in that movie was "mainly" using heroin.

Which is almost the exact opposite of crack.

Which is why DARE didn't work. It scared them instead of educating them. When you teach and/or imply stuff like "ALL drugs will kill you" and then a kid smokes weed and s/he enjoys it, doesn't die, has no hangover, is not instantly addicted, etc, DARE just lost its entire credibility to that kid.

As it should because it was propaganda not facts.
Well, my mistake... I haven't really made plans for that discussion with my kids yet, but I'd hope I can just tell them to not do any of drugs, but I did dabble in Booze (still do) and Weed (don't).

Old 07-14-2015, 03:59 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
How is the War on Drugs working out for us? Oh yeah. Not so well. Time for Plan B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Teenagers (and kids) are already being educated about the dangers of drugs at most schools. Usually health class touches on this, and also DARE programs. It's not working now, it won't work then.
I read the same thing as below. It can actually make things worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
unfortunately those DARE programs were ineffective and may have actually caused participants to experiment with illegal substances D.A.R.E. Was Laughably Bad; Are New School Anti-Drug Programs Any Better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
decriminalizing drugs would end most gang related inner city violence, probably reduce prison populations by 30-40% (saving billions each year) and yes some people would probably still use drugs, but guess what they use drugs now. Prohibition doesn't work, it never has worked and it won't start working now, no matter how hard we might wish that it would. For anyone interested here are some links that might change some minds about the issue.

"The House I live in" available on Amazon, Netflix, Vudu Watch the film | The House I Live In
Here's a short segment from the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ4VFqXVrJE

Johann Hari author of Chasing the Scream The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think*|*Johann Hari

Dr. Carl Hart, Neuroscientist "The case for decriminalization" The Scientific Case for Decriminalization - Reason.com
We definitely agree on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
If your doctor really was remiss, why did you not ask him for more information? Also, you have access to a computer, try Google and you will find plenty of info.
I think it was kind of a rhetorical question.

Quote:
Brilliant! Lets legalize the most addictive drug on the planet. Ask China how the opium crisis worked out for them.

If you think heroin isn't a problem or that it is but the only way to fix it is to legalize it then you are living in a shell.
What you should ask yourslef is - how is the WAR ON DRUGS working for us now? I can answer that for you - It's NOT. We have more drugs than EVER; we've criminalized more of our population than EVER and the illegal drug trade is bigger than ever.

Face it. It's not working. Decriminalization is one *potential* solution. What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
If this were to ever happen in the United States, then I would wish that it would come with the stipulation that the taxpayers are not on the hook for the cost of drug rehabilitation or drug-related hospitalizations for a drug user. This way, people could use whatever drug they want, but the taxpayers would not have to pay for associated care related to drug use.
Do you have any idea how much it cost a taxpayer to take care of one prison inmate over the course of one year?????? The taxpayer is footing the bill now for the antics of the DEA, the for-profit prison system, and then again when the drug offender is released because no one wants to hire a FELON.

Drug Rehab would be pennies compared to the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events