Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:50 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,283,168 times

Advertisements

We should inundate the communities with eye-opening but safer dissociatives, tryptamines, phenethylamines, empathogens, and synthetic cannabinoids. LSD, AL-LAD, LSZ, 4-AcO-DMT (amazing!), 4-HO-MIPt, Psilocybin mushrooms, Salvia, DMT, DPT, Methallylescaline, 5-MeO-MIPt, 6-APB, Methoxetamine (my personal favorite!), DXM, Ketamine, JWH-018, JWH-081 (in pure, safe doses), etc.

Produce an aggressive education program and demonstrate / facilitate correct purity, dosage, and route of administration. Put these into the hands of users readily, as much better alternatives to opioids, cocaine/crack, methamphetamine, benzos, alcohol, etc.

The alteration of consciousness is a primal drive within the species. Let's direct that toward something nominally constructive rather than the destruction caused by the purely hedonistic drugs (opioids, coke, meth, alcohol).

Of course this could never happen:

“Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behaviour and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:52 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
So you think legalizing it will prevent addiction? Legalizing weed and legalizing heroin are two different animals.
Legalizing drugs won't prevent addiction any more than prohibition prevented people from becoming addicted to alcohol, in fact there is an unintended consequence of prohibition, stronger more concentrated forms of the banned substances become more popular, so prohibition might actually contribute to addiction.

"It has frequently been observed that drug prohibition tends to drive out the weaker and milder forms of drugs, and to increase the availability and use of stronger and more dangerous drugs This has been so often reported that many analysts speak of it as an "iron law" of drug prohibition. This "law" holds because milder drugs are usually bulkier, harder to hide and smuggle, and less remunerative. People involved in the illicit drug business therefore frequently find it in their interest to do business in the more compact and potent substances. "
Alcohol prohibition and drug prohibition. Lessons from alcohol policy for drug policy.

"Even if hard drugs carry greater health risks than marijuana, rationally, we can’t ban them without comparing the harm from prohibition against the harms from drugs themselves. What’s more, prohibition creates health risks that wouldn’t exist in a legal market. Because prohibition raises heroin prices, users have a greater incentive to inject because this offers a bigger bang for the buck." An Economic and Moral Case for Legalizing Cocaine and Heroin | Cato Institute

And the picture he paints of a legalized world is downright sunny. Miron estimates that if drugs were legalized the U.S. government would save $85-$90 billion per year, the national murder rate would fall by 25 percent, and we wouldn't see any real increase in drug use (on that last point he cites the case of Portugal, where drugs were legalized several years ago and he says rates have barely budged).
A Harvard economist makes the case for legalizing drugs - Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It is not just bad batches that kill. It is the nature of the drug that addicts need more to get high the further they fall into addiction. Heroin addiction is a lifelong struggle. No one in their right mind would legalize it.
Addiction isn't that simple
"I discovered that 80 to 90 percent of the people who actually use drugs like crack cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, marijuana—80 to 90 percent of those people were not addicted. I thought, "Wait a second. I thought that once you use these drugs, everyone becomes addicted, and that’s why we had these problems." That was one thing that I found out. Another thing that I found out is that if you provide alternatives to people—jobs, other sort of alternatives—they don’t overindulge in drugs like this. I discovered this in the human laboratory as well as the animal laboratory. The same thing plays out in the animal literature."
"Drugs Aren

Old 07-14-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
We should inundate the communities with eye-opening but safer dissociatives, tryptamines, phenethylamines, empathogens, and synthetic cannabinoids. LSD, AL-LAD, LSZ, 4-AcO-DMT (amazing!), 4-HO-MIPt, Psilocybin mushrooms, Salvia, DMT, DPT, Methallylescaline, 5-MeO-MIPt, 6-APB, Methoxetamine (my personal favorite!), DXM, Ketamine, JWH-018, JWH-081 (in pure, safe doses), etc.

Produce an aggressive education program and demonstrate / facilitate correct purity, dosage, and route of administration. Put these into the hands of users readily, as much better alternatives to opiods, cocaine/crack, methamphetamine, benzos, alcohol, etc.
I completely agree, and I just posted some links to data that show that one of the unintended consequences of prohibition is that users opt for stronger more concentrated forms of drugs; just as during prohibition most people switched from wine or beer to gin.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:04 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,553,371 times

Interesting article . I did not know Portugal legalized all drugs. I think the reason it is working is also because it says they offer counseling to those caught with small amounts of drugs. Maybe that is helping?

Old 07-14-2015, 10:15 AM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
If your doctor really was remiss, why did you not ask him for more information? Also, you have access to a computer, try Google and you will find plenty of info.
As someone who works in healthcare, that's not the point. A person shouldn't have to go home after paying their $35 co-pay for a doctor's visit to get information about caring for their disease, that education should be a part, and a major part, of any doctor's visit. The fact education and prevention is not a focus of our medical system is one of the reasons our health care costs are so out of control.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,771,991 times
, and corrupt o
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Teenagers (and kids) are already being educated about the dangers of drugs at most schools. Usually health class touches on this, and also DARE programs. It's not working now, it won't work then.
You think so? Really?
They are being propagandized and they know it. The bs goes in one ear and out the other.

And remind me why, in a supposedly 'free' society, you feel the need to tell me what I can and cannot ingest?
People will keep getting high, as they have been for millennia, legal or not.

All the laws do is create criminals and hypocrites ... some very rich ones at that, and corrupt policemen, judges, and politicians.
Keep up the good work.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,770,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
, and corrupt o

You think so? Really?
They are being propagandized and they know it. The bs goes in one ear and out the other.

And remind me why, in a supposedly 'free' society, you feel the need to tell me what I can and cannot ingest?

All the laws do is create criminals and hypocrites ... some very rich ones at that, and corrupt policemen, judges, and politicians.
Keep up the good work.
Taking hard drugs does not help anyone, except dealers and such scum. So I don't agree that it is is none of society's business to let someone know they are doing something they should not be doing.

And when you look back at early drug consumption, it was usually mild plants, not toxic chemicals that destroy your body and not seldom render you a filthy useless wrack draining already scarce resources out of society.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:38 AM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Taking hard drugs does not help anyone, except dealers and such scum. So I don't agree that it is is none of society's business to let someone know they are doing something they should not be doing.

And when you look back at early drug consumption, it was usually mild plants, not toxic chemicals that destroy your body and not seldom render you a filthy useless wrack draining already scarce resources out of society.
Not one person is arguing that hard drugs aren't extremely harmful. The argument is, do we keep pouring billions of dollars into jailing people for it, which does nothing to stop it, or do we legalize and tax it and use the resources for treatment. The argument is, basically, should drug use and abuse be the domain if the justice system, or the health care system? Those of us for legalization feel it should be the latter.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Perhaps it is the very act of prohibiting drugs that leads people to use 'hard' drugs over more benign ones? I posted this earlier on this thread.

"It has frequently been observed that drug prohibition tends to drive out the weaker and milder forms of drugs, and to increase the availability and use of stronger and more dangerous drugs This has been so often reported that many analysts speak of it as an "iron law" of drug prohibition. This "law" holds because milder drugs are usually bulkier, harder to hide and smuggle, and less remunerative. People involved in the illicit drug business therefore frequently find it in their interest to do business in the more compact and potent substances.

Alcohol prohibition and drug prohibition. Lessons from alcohol policy for drug policy.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
, and corrupt o

You think so? Really?

Keep up the good work.
This.

Quote:

In terms of taking hard drugs, that person right or wrong chose to partake in it. However; I do feel the medical industry and their promoting of prescription opiates did contribute to the growing heroin epidemic. Herion and prescription opiates have similar qualities. So, here is what happens. Pill user gets hooked, eventually that user cannot get more legal pills, so he/she hits the streets, and if he/she can't find them there, then that person goes for heroin.

As for mild plants, you mean like cannabis, or using the coca plant in it's natural form? The Incas used to chew the leaves of the coca plant for energy, and that probably wasn't a bad thing. Then we as in society find a way to synthesize it, and cut it with all sorts of bad stuff and you have cocaine! So, based on your post here do you support those who choose to use a more natural option such as cannabis, or the coca plant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events