Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times

Advertisements

I feel like $15 may be to much to pay a person working a low wage job and it could hurt a business depending on how big it is that is why I think a min wage in the $10-12 range increased slowly to that would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:15 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Yes and another thing to think about is that , not all employees working in places known for minimum wage get paid minimum wage..but they might be making less than $15 hr.

Let's say someone has been working in a job for a long time and they are making $13 an hour..they've been there many years and their employer pays them this because they do a great job, they are loyal ,provide good service,etc.
Let's say the other employees right now start at $9 an hour ...but when the minimum wage law starts those people that just started there will be making the same as someone that's been there decades and has shown dedication and service ,etc for so many years.

Think about how unfair that is. Of course the Pro $15 crowd will say , "No big deal...the employer should just pay them $20 an hour!"
The problem is that these businesses are going to be stretched thin by the $15/hr wage that they won't be able to afford to pay $20 an hour to an employee.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:44 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes and another thing to think about is that , not all employees working in places known for minimum wage get paid minimum wage..but they might be making less than $15 hr.

Let's say someone has been working in a job for a long time and they are making $13 an hour..they've been there many years and their employer pays them this because they do a great job, they are loyal ,provide good service,etc.
Let's say the other employees right now start at $9 an hour ...but when the minimum wage law starts those people that just started there will be making the same as someone that's been there decades and has shown dedication and service ,etc for so many years.

Think about how unfair that is. Of course the Pro $15 crowd will say , "No big deal...the employer should just pay them $20 an hour!"
The problem is that these businesses are going to be stretched thin by the $15/hr wage that they won't be able to afford to pay $20 an hour to an employee.
I agree, and what the proponents forget is that we're not just talking about the big box stores, this would seriously hit a lot of Mom & Pop businesses and drive a lot of them out. For a lot of people it isn't just about the money, if you were to ask some people if they would take a $15/hr job but on a strict and formal schedule, or a $10/hr job that gave them flexibility, that may be worth more to them.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:34 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Once again, no one that I am aware of is advocating doubling the minimum wage overnight. Some cities like Seattle are making provisions for small employers; making the phase in longer or allowing them to count tips or benefits into part of the wage increase. Minimum Wage Ordinance | SOCR - CivilRights | seattle.gov

If we are that worried about the cost of a minimum wage increase, then maybe we should give small businesses tax breaks; but I don't think fear of the possible negative effects to some employers justifies not raising it.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...wage-increase/

Old 08-13-2015, 12:54 PM

519 posts, read 776,965 times
$15 an hour for cooking a cheap and greasy burger is absurd. There is no prerequisite skill to do this job, hardly any training needed, and almost no customer service skills necessary. Flipping burgers and taking orders in a fast food restaurant is not a $15 an hour job. It is barely a minimum wage job.

Sometimes this coutry makes me facepalm.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:56 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Meanwhile, middle class wages are practically stagnant.
I received a whooping 5% COL raise this year -- still more than most.
Be lucky you got that
In 1993 i was about rent an apartment, go to school and still put gas in my car for $8.00 a Hour.
Something has to Change!

Old 08-13-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
$15 an hour for cooking a cheap and greasy burger is absurd. There is no prerequisite skill to do this job, hardly any training needed, and almost no customer service skills necessary. Flipping burgers and taking orders in a fast food restaurant is not a $15 an hour job. It is barely a minimum wage job.

If what you are saying is true, why do the owners of In-n-Out offer a starting pay of $10.50 plus paid vacation, free meals and a 401k?
What Makes In-N-Out Burger the Best Place to Work

Old 08-13-2015, 01:20 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post

it took a WEEK to train my 16 year old self how to cook ALL the mcdonalds lunch menu...I could work the grill myself and handle the rush...one week...and I was no worse or better than guys/gals who had been cooking for a year or more...same with breakfast menu, front counter, drive thru...typically a weeks training and you were off and running or fired

this is a brain dead assembly line job...instead of $40,000 trucks or cars, we were producing $2 - $3 hamburgers...now its $5 - $6....$15 an hour for this??? really

Old 08-13-2015, 01:34 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is not their only choice. I for one would rather the CEOs pay to offset their employees low wages than the taxpayer (currently many low wage workers both fast food and retail qualify for government assistance for food, health care, rent and utilities). How is that right?

Fast-Food CEOs Earn Supersize Salaries; Workers Earn Small Potatoes : The Salt : NPR

According to a new report, YUM! (owner of KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut) compensated its CEO $22 million in 2013.
Chipotle's CEO took home $13.8 million in total compensation. And McDonald's CEO compensation totaled $7.7 million. (Compensation includes salary, bonus and the value of exercised options.)
Overall, the average compensation of fast-food CEOs has quadrupled since 2000.

The report, by the public policy group Demos, concludes the fast-food industry has the most extreme pay disparity of all the sectors in the U.S. economy, with a CEO-to-worker pay ratio now exceeding 1,000 to 1.
By comparison, the ratio in the retail sector is about 304 to 1, meaning the CEOs in this sector make about 304 times the income of the average worker. And construction company CEOs make about 93 times that of the average worker.

And economists have documented the burden on taxpayers, who foot the bill for the federally-funded assistance programs that many fast-food workers rely on.
A report released last fall found that 52 percent of fast-food workers are enrolled in, or have their families enrolled in, public assistance programs, such as SNAP (food stamps).
"Taxpayers are subsidizing the CEO pay plan," Nell Minow of GMI Ratings said during the conference call releasing the new report. "And that's simply intolerable."

Demos? Really? They're far, FAR Left organization. Nothing they say can be trusted.

NPR? Really? And The Labor Center at BERKELEY? LOL!

Uh, no.

Go ahead and increase wages to 15 bucks an hour. Then watch the layoffs happen. And when that happens those people will go on one or more forms of public assistance.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If what you are saying is true, why do the owners of In-n-Out offer a starting pay of $10.50 plus paid vacation, free meals and a 401k?
What Makes In-N-Out Burger the Best Place to Work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Demos? Really? They're far, FAR Left organization. Nothing they say can be trusted.

NPR? Really? And The Labor Center at BERKELEY? LOL!

Uh, no.

Go ahead and increase wages to 15 bucks an hour. Then watch the layoffs happen. And when that happens those people will go on one or more forms of public assistance.
Rather than attack the sources, why don't you disprove their data? Oh never mind..you don't want to do that because you know darned well the data is valid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events