Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 08:23 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more and wish these bashers would start their own thread on generations of welfare abusers and not the working poor.
To comment on your comment, and the one you posted on: " " to you both!! I've tried to not follow this thread, as the cold-bloodedness, cold-heartedness, and downright hatefulness of some is absolutely outrageous. And it seems some don't care whether individuals are "generations of welfare abusers" or "the working poor" or any other category, they take the attitude "F.You, nobody would need any help unless it was 'all about' 'poor choices'." So it was refreshing to read your post and the one you quoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 05:17 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
To comment on your comment, and the one you posted on: " " to you both!! I've tried to not follow this thread, as the cold-bloodedness, cold-heartedness, and downright hatefulness of some is absolutely outrageous. And it seems some don't care whether individuals are "generations of welfare abusers" or "the working poor" or any other category, they take the attitude "F.You, nobody would need any help unless it was 'all about' 'poor choices'." So it was refreshing to read your post and the one you quoted.
Thank you and it seems like those of us with compassion, or have walked in similar shoes seem to be the minority on this thread.

They don't care about other stories similar to this woman written in this thread. They ignore them.

It is nice to know there's other people such as yourself that do have compassion and realize there is a difference.

I can only assume many of them come from money and look down their noses at anyone not of their caliper and those that aren't, just haven't had life slap them in the face yet and are truly ignorant of the original subject, which IMO was highjacked, but who am I?

I only read the first line or see a name and I know whether or not to read any further.

You words describe to the T, the ugliness our world is so full of today.

I must have repped you before and would rep again if I could!

Old 08-01-2015, 06:16 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Quote:
Thank you and it seems like those of us with compassion, or have walked in similar shoes seem to be the minority on this thread.

They don't care about other stories similar to this woman written in this thread. They ignore them.

It is nice to know there's other people such as yourself that do have compassion and realize there is a difference.

I can only assume many of them come from money and look down their noses at anyone not of their caliper and those that aren't, just haven't had life slap them in the face yet and are truly ignorant of the original subject, which IMO was highjacked, but who am I?

I only read the first line or see a name and I know whether or not to read any further.

Amen! It's refreshing to occasionally see a compassionate post in this thread. I can only imagine how ****ty people on assistance, for "legitimate reasons" must feel when they read the hate in this thread.

This thread is living proof of why people who are NOT abusing the system still feel shame, since they're being lumped into the "welfare queen" stereotype.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:56 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:

I think it is a need to separate themselves from those less fortunate somehow, so they can feel reassured it could never be them.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:58 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Amen! It's refreshing to occasionally see a compassionate post in this thread. I can only imagine how ****ty people on assistance, for "legitimate reasons" must feel when they read the hate in this thread.

This thread is living proof of why people who are NOT abusing the system still feel shame, since they're being lumped into the "welfare queen" stereotype.
My question still stands. Where are the baby daddies to help out with the kids?

Let me throw something out about myself. I grew up in one of the poorest parts of the world. When I was little, there were times when our parents told us to sleep all day because there wasn't anything to eat that day.

Our parents worked day and night to get us to where we are. Now, out of the 5 of us, we have 3 engineers, a mathematician, and a project manager for software development. My brother, who's an engineer and currently the project manager for a bridge construction project, used to de-shell those cocktail shrimps to export to westerners back in our home country when he was a teenager.

So, I ask again. Where are the baby daddies to help out with the kids?

My family came over to the US with exactly $10. We were on food stamps for about 6 months. And that was 20 years ago. Not a single one of us ever went back to food stamp. Each one of us nowadays is a homeowner. Each one of us has a professional career. And no, it has absolutely nothing to do with luck. We never had any insider connection to get our jobs. We never inherited any money from anyone.

My parents and oldest sister worked minimum wage jobs to support us all. And because of that, out of the 5 of us my oldest sister was the only one that never got a formal college degree. She started out in the assembly line. She worked her way up to a technician job. And so on and so forth. She is now the head electronic engineer for a branch of Omron Electronics.

It's not that I don't have compassion. It's just that in 20 years my family went from being so poor that there were days we didn't eat anything to being upper middle class Americans. So... obviously pumping out kids with baby daddies isn't the best strategy to get out of poverty?

Old 08-01-2015, 08:04 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
It used to be that we had many more impoverished hungry children.
So you're satisfied with the status quo?

I want fewer. Ultimately and ideally, I want no impoverished hungry kids.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:05 AM

286 posts, read 262,660 times
It so often IS about poor choices", tho. If you can't afford NJ rent, WHY are you living in N J, hmm? JB Hunt and others will pay for your month of 18-wheeler school and get you a job driving a truck. That's 5k that they give you in training. Get OUT there and make some money!. Your first year, you'll do 60k of work for them and get paid only 30k, but it's a way to get started with nothing. You can clear 50k per year easily, once you understand that you'll have to LIVE in your truck. It's not for life, you know. It's for 2-3 years, while you save up enough money to buy a big old house to rent out (as weekly rooms)

Trucking is like going to college, but you don't have loans hanging over your head (and no real job yet). If you're not already married, you can marry a third world dentist, and get paid 100k, tax free, over the 3 year period that it takes for her to get her US citizenship. Then, however, you'd better watch your six! :-) But, if you know what you're doing, that 4 year period, 1 year's driving to learn the biz and get the down payment on your own truck and to go get the third world dentist, then 3 years of driving, while she goes to dentistry college part time and works full time as an oral hygienist. You end up with 200k, with which you can RETIRE, if you know what to do with it. Instead of just getting out of college, owing 50k in student loans, with no real job prospects, as is often the case.

You don't have to settle for $12 an hour, 40 hour weeks. Trucking pays $14 an hour and LOTS of overtime, at $21 an hour. It's the 40-60 hours of overtime that make trucking worth doing (for a few years, only). You live in your sleeper cab, so no rent or utilities, no commuting to work. When that rig aint rolling, it's LOSING money, so you get a co-driver and the rig never stops moving, if you can possibly help it. If you're not driving, you need to be sleeping.

Last edited by zonest; 08-01-2015 at 08:14 AM..

Old 08-01-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
It so often IS about poor choices", tho. If you can't afford NJ rent, WHY are you living in N J, hmm? JbHunt and others will pay for your month of 18 wheeler school and get you a job driving a truck. that' 5k that they give you in training. get OUT there. Your first year, you'll do 60k of work for them and get paid only 30k, but it's a way to get started with nothing. You can clear 50k per year easily, once you understand that you'll have to LIVE in your truck. It's not for life, you know. It's for 2-3 years, while you save up enough money to buy a big old house to rent out (as weekly rooms) Trucking is like going to college, but you don't have loans hanging over your head (and no real job yet).
Most of these people are single mothers, how are they going to be long haul truckers? I also don't think it's a job just anyone can do...I know for instance I do not have the spatial skills needed to drive a semi. Also not everyone can just move, especially if they have family helping them out or that they are helping out...moving requires money as well.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:25 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Most of these people are single mothers, how are they going to be long haul truckers? I also don't think it's a job just anyone can do...I know for instance I do not have the spatial skills needed to drive a semi. Also not everyone can just move, especially if they have family helping them out or that they are helping out...moving requires money as well.
I understand that most of these people are single mothers. And I'm back to my original question. Where are the baby daddies? If they were so eager to have babies...

Not a single one of my siblings started having babies before they had a career and house. They waited until they could afford to give their kids the best possible chances in life.

I'm just perplexed by how we aren't allowed to point out the poor choices that these women and men make regarding having babies ASAP. What's the hurry?

Old 08-01-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I understand that most of these people are single mothers. And I'm back to my original question. Where are the baby daddies? If they were so eager to have babies...

Not a single one of my siblings started having babies before they had a career and house. They waited until they could afford to give their kids the best possible chances in life.

I'm just perplexed by how we aren't allowed to point out the poor choices that these women and men make regarding having babies ASAP. What's the hurry?
You grew up probably in a more functional family, where they instilled different values...this is why they call it a CYCLE of poverty. If you know a solution for breaking it that doesn't involve starving any children that are already here, then I would love to hear it.

Btw I find it ironic that many people who feel as you do are the same ones I am arguing with on the birth control thread because they don't want anyone's birth control to come from the government.

We are never going to come up with real solutions until we stop judging those who are caught in the cycle of poverty. JMO.

Also everyone does not share the same story. You really think all these women thought their baby daddies weren't going to be there for them?

My own father got sick when I was little, forcing my high school educated mother into the workforce in 1967. If it were not for my grandparents who had the means to help us, we would have been one of those families needing assistance from the government. Again, "there but for the Grace of God"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events