Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 03:30 PM

1,683 posts, read 813,020 times

Advertisements

Did you know that 50 TO 75 PERCENT OF CONVICTED DRUNK DRIVERS CONTINUE TO DRIVE ON A SUSPENDED LICENSE?

MADD - Drunk Driving Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 05:13 PM

50,832 posts, read 36,538,623 times
I knew a couple people who had DUI's and still drove. Both cases they weren't drunk, but caught after driving home 1. after dinner, where she had 2 glasses of wine 2. After watching a football game and having a couple beers.

Should they have done that? NO, absolutely not. But what are people supposed to do, quit their jobs?

To me their should be a difference between DUI and DWI in terms of penalty.

BTW, the fact they are continuing to drive does NOT mean they are driving while drinking.

My friends never drove under the influence again, but yes, they still drove to work and back and just hoped for the best in terms of not getting stopped.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
I'm not surprised. And how many times have we seen people die, but the drunk driver is barely injured?

Those are some statistics. Drunk driving costs the U.S. $199 billion a year??!!

Yes, people who drink and drive are reprehensible.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I knew a couple people who had DUI's and still drove. Both cases they weren't drunk, but caught after driving home 1. after dinner, where she had 2 glasses of wine 2. After watching a football game and having a couple beers.

Should they have done that? NO, absolutely not. But what are people supposed to do, quit their jobs?

To me their should be a difference between DUI and DWI in terms of penalty.

BTW, the fact they are continuing to drive does NOT mean they are driving while drinking.

My friends never drove under the influence again, but yes, they still drove to work and back and just hoped for the best in terms of not getting stopped.

They must have been legally drunk.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:31 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
Would this be a good time to point that..........

If your DL is suspended, SO is you car insurance policy. No insurance company is going to cover a unlicensed driver, which is exactly what a "suspended driver " is. Think about that before you argue on behalf of the suspended driver, who still drives around. YOU could be their next victim.

Perhaps there is a business waiting to be started up here...........Drive service for those who have been suspended for being drunk behind the wheel.

Oh wait........why would somebody who doesn't do the right thing, and gets caught doing it......... such as drink and drive, spend money to obey their court ordered sentence ? What was I thinking ?

How about the car that they used to break the law.............being seized? Would that help them not drive while suspended ? Maybe. If the car still has monthly payments to the bank or a loan company, well that's the breaks, buddy. Keep on paying, as you agreed to do on the contract, right ?

If you think that I am tough on this subject, you are right.

Jim B.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:32 PM

546 posts, read 409,102 times
If the legal penalty is a suspended or revoked license, then I think you ride the bus for a while.

With that said, I do think penalties should vary depending on BAC, and the push to lower the limit from .10 to .08 is/was misguided.

If someone happens to blow .08 or .09 or even .10, it doesn't necessarily mean they were too impaired to avoid the accident. It might have happened anyway, that even stone cold sober reflexes wouldn't have been fast enough.

In the cases of the people I have known, who were seriously injured or killed in a drunk driving accident, the drunk driver was utterly sloshed, not mildly buzzed.

I'm not excusing buzzed driving, but like every other issue, there are shades of gray.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:38 PM

50,832 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
They must have been legally drunk.
Right. I am a small woman. I have a glass and a half of wine with dinner at a nice restaurant, I will fail a .08 breathalyzer. I don't think the penalty for .08 should be identical to someone who blows 1.3.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:43 PM

14,684 posts, read 14,662,025 times
Well, why would you be pulled over in the first place (unless DWB) unless you were sloppy while driving?

Old 07-25-2015, 05:45 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,299,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
Did you know that 50 TO 75 PERCENT OF CONVICTED DRUNK DRIVERS CONTINUE TO DRIVE ON A SUSPENDED LICENSE?
There's a guy down the road from us who has racked up 4 DUIs in the last four years in three different counties. The most recent was hitting a school bus in broad daylight. His license is revoked, yet he still manages to find someone who lets him use their car. He pulled a whopping 60 days in the slammer, total.

I never knew our public defender was that good.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:47 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
ocnjgirl.

How about this......No alcohol in any driver's blood stream at any time ? Call a cab, use public transport, call a friend, sleep over, or don't drink except at home.

It can be done, but it will take a major shift in public attitude towards the problem, and it is a problem, right ?

Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events