Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 04:23 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,055,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
Because facts and statistics uniformly point towards racial injustice, and racial police biased.

Black Americans killed by police are twice as likely to be unarmed as whites. - Huffington Post

68 of 102 Black people killed last year in incidents with law enforcement officers were not carrying weapons.

An analysis of public records, local news reports and Guardian reporting found that 32% of black people killed by police in 2015 were unarmed, as were 25% of Hispanic and Latino people, compared with 15% of white people killed.

Law enforcement kills African Americans at 2.8 times the rate of white non-Latinos, and 4.3 times the rate of Asians. Latinos are victimized by police killings at a level 30 percent above average and 1.9 times the rate of White, non-Latinos.
Exactly, anybody who thinks that there is not a difference in the way whites and blacks are treated by the police, should look at Youtube videos of black people (armed and unarmed) getting shot by police and compare them to videos of white Libertarian gun culture people, scaring the crap out of people open carrying loaded AR-15s through various neighborhoods. A little black kid with a toy gun in the playground, gets shot down by the police, in two seconds after they arrive. A white gun culture person carrying an AR-15 down a public street, doesn't get shot no matter what. Yes, he gets a felony stop for it, but he doesn't get shot ever. Because white lives matter to the police.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:30 AM

609 posts, read 507,250 times
#BlackLivesMatter is a real grassroots movement and seeing this video just reinforces my belief that the system is in need of major fixes.
This is very troubling and disturbing, and I'm shocked that only Bernie Sanders has been the only candidate to talk about this racial injustice. Simply destroying the lives of families for absolutely no reason? This makes me sick to my stomach and something needs to be done to stop this.
If it weren't for Cameras, the police officer would have gotten away with murder.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:40 AM

557 posts, read 739,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I have no doubt the cop is lying. They all do. But assuming that he is telling the truth, the solution would be very simple. Guy starts up the car, just stand clear and let him go. Instant safety.

I'm sure the police fans are very happy that this brave police man was protecting us from thugs with missing license plates.
So just let them go and break the law just because they are black is what your implying, so cops shouldn't enforce laws on people because they are black? Black people don't have to follow traffic laws because blacklivesmatter says they don't have to. All of these idiots have one thing in common, failure to comply with these officers instructions . If a cop ask you to step out of the car listen to him, Maryland vs Wilson and Pennsylvania vs mimms are two court cases where the officer does not need a reason to have you step out. He knew this idiot was going to try and take off . Just like the other idiot Sandra Bland. But black lives only matter when getting shot resisting arrest not the 40 homicides in Baltimore last month.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:40 AM

21,503 posts, read 10,625,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Officer Tensing fatally shot DuBose, 43, during a July 19 traffic stop over an alleged missing license tag. The officer has said he was forced to fire his weapon after almost being run over. Tensing, 25, surrendered to authorities shortly after news of the indictment broke, and he is expected to be arraigned on Thursday. He has been fired from his job.

Tensing's attorney told reporters that he believes the officer feared for his life and was dragged by DuBose's car. "The guy jams the keys in the ignition," Stew Mathews told CNN. "Turns the car on, jams it in the drive and mashes the accelerator. He wasn't slowly pulling away. (Tensing) feared for his life. He thought he was going to be sucked under the car that was pulling away from him. He thought he was going to get sucked under and killed."

That account was contradicted by Deters, the prosecutor, who said that Tensing was not dragged.
"This just does not happen in the United States. People don't get shot for a traffic stop unless they are violent towards the police officer, and he (DuBose) wasn't," Deters said. "He was simply slowly rolling away. That's all he did."

University cop indicted in traffic stop shooting - CNN.com

So, any thoughts on this? Do any of you think the shooting was justified, if so please explain.
Now this is worthy of hundreds of pages of comments. This guy's very first thought was to shoot the guy in the head rather than let him get away. These officers need partners, and the department needs to put partners together based on temperament. Of course someone like this had no business being a policeman, but the department didn't know that until this incident. I imagine it's getting harder and harder to find people willing to be police these days. I say more and longer training, and always partnered. It's a hard job, but no harder than it ever was and I feel police around here used to be better at de-escalation than they are now. Now it seems a rush to guns instead of talking them down.

I think there is a paranoia on both sides.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,195,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
When did a crime stop being simply a crime? Or wasn't that what black people and their supporters kept telling us when everytime a black person was identified as a suspect in an incident? 'Why do we have to bring race into it? Just treat it as a crime and not care about the color of the perpetrator.' They told us. Yet here they are doing the EXACT SAME THING and I'm so damn SICK of the media as well as black people blowing up every single incident and using it as an excuse to rile people up.

Why is it now that everytime we hear of a situation like this its ALWAYS a WHITE POLICE OFFICER shoots an UNARMED BLACK PERSON, instead of a police officer shooting an unarmed person?? And then we have to hear for days from the victim's family about how racist and biased police are and how their loved one was a good person even if like 90% of the time you find out later that they weren't the angel that their family made them out to be. And lets not forget about the cries for 'justice' that will be sure to follow after every incident when all they want is instant punishment and revenge for their loss even before a proper investigation has ever been launched or completed.

I really wish the media as well as many black people would stop trying to fan the race flames and actually try to bring people together rather than making things worse. However if they insist on continuing to do this where every incident involving a white person or a white cop needs to be identified as white person wrongfully doing harm to a black person, then lets go all the way and do the reverse as well. Namely identifying ALL the black perpetrators who have done harm to all the non-black victims out there. But of course that will NEVER happen and ignorant people will still continue to believe that blacks are victim on a grand scale in this country and elsewhere. >_>
You know what - the skin color of the dead man and the cop didn't even register with me the first time I saw this awful video. All I could think was, "Oh my God, I can't believe I just saw that."

But upon mulling this over, I have to say - questioning the kneejerk reaction from this cop IS a valid question and needs to include the question of race. WHY did this cop think it was OK to flat out and immediately kill this guy???????? Would he have shot and killed a pretty little blonde girl for doing the same thing? What about an older, well dressed white man? What about me?

We will never know the answer to that question thankfully because this guy is off the beat and I hope he goes to prison for being so trigger happy. But I think his reaction (shooting the guy in the head) came from somewhere deep inside him, some elemental part of his psyche.

I don't think that most cops are racist. I don't think that most of them are like this guy. But this particular guy needs to be off the street and in jail.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
They ex-military that become cops don't have college degrees. Most ex-military with 4-year college degrees go into better paying jobs that police work.
I don't know where you're getting your information. Can you provide sources?

I don't doubt that if the particular position within a police force does not require a college degree, that the veterans applying for that position probably don't have a college degree - but then neither would the NON military personnel applying for the position. I don't see why you would assume that ex military police officers are morons though, which is pretty much what you said. Why do you think they'd be any more of a "moron" than a police officer who isn't a military veteran?

Old 07-30-2015, 06:48 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,607,703 times
The cop was completely in the wrong for firing his weapon but the victim didnt help his case by attempting to drive off once the officer asked him to get out of the vehicle. Had he complied and obeyed orders he would be alive today. Worst case scenario is that he would have be cited for a suspended license. Maybe taken in and released once they were able to confirm his identity.

Now I dont think the officer's plan from jump was to shoot this man in the head. As you can see from the video, the officer had a calm demeanor and was growing suspicious when he couldnt get a straight answer out of the man regarding his drivers license. What I think happened is that the officer panicked once the man started the car and attempted to flee and his first reaction was to shoot for whatever reason went thru his head at that moment. Regardless it was a very bad judgement call on both parties. The driver should have just simply complied as he was in the wrong to begin with, and the officer should have handled the situation in a more professional matter once the driver attempted to flee. He could have easily stepped back, called it in and gave chase.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Because when was the last time you heard of a black cop shooting a white person? Yes, I know it happens, but it's almost a rare occurrence. If there was a mass epidemic of black cops shooting white people, white people would be way more up in arms.

You have to be blind to the facts not to see that race is a factor.
Well, we just had a situation where two black police officers and a white police officer shot and killed a 17 year old white girl. The video is chilling. You should watch it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2096135

Also, several of the cops involved in Freddie Gray's death are black though of course so was Freddie Gray:
Freddie Gray death: Grand jury indicts police officers - CNN.com

"Non white" (whatever that means) officer Bron Cruz kills unarmed white man:
Salt Lake cop cleared in shooting of unarmed white man | WREG.com

Interesting article discussing white deaths at the hands of the police vs black deaths at the hands of the police:

Talk show host: Police kill more whites than blacks | PunditFact

Old 07-30-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
What is the racial breakdown for incidents of being hostile and/or acting crazy when confronted by a police officer?
Here's a good breakdown of deaths by the police and some of the reasons why there are differences among the races:

Talk show host: Police kill more whites than blacks | PunditFact

Old 07-30-2015, 07:16 AM

21,503 posts, read 10,625,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
I saw the video. I think the officer overreacted when the guy tried to take off, but it was questionable, so you have to side with the officer on this one.
No, you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events