Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 08:14 PM

241 posts, read 221,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsw510 View Post
Except for the fact that Ben Carson is a right wing traitor with terrible policies, lol. Kanye West is more successful than Ben Carson too.
Umm... how do you measure success? And being right-wing doesn't make Carson a traitor, though I think his ideology is tragically flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 08:17 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,262 times
Quote:
Except for the fact that Ben Carson is a right wing traitor with terrible policies, lol. Kanye West is more successful than Ben Carson too.

Are you saying that any black who is a conservative is a "traitor"?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:27 PM

241 posts, read 221,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
That's exactly what he is saying and its completely unfortunate. Its because of long serving racist republicans with outwardly and admittingly racist agendas like Jesse Helms. The modern-day republican party wasn't the most accepting of people of color, so many believe that having republican ideology is a threat and traitor-like. I personally don't know any African-Americans that have verbally expressed such views, but they exist and there is history behind it.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:06 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,146,346 times
OP, you are very wise. At one time in our history, Whites kept Blacks down by making it illegal to teach them to read and write, among other tactics. How ironic that some Blacks now consider it "too White" for Blacks to do well in school.

Incidentally, a fair number of Whites have a similar attitude, though they don't express it racially. They will make fun of a bookworm in the family, for example. I have seen bumper stickers that say "My kid can whip your honor student". What a claim to fame. I knew a girl years ago who was the jewel of her family. They seemed proud to be uneducated. They were uncomfortable with her using proper grammar, for example. She would "dumb down" her speech a bit to get along in the family.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:24 PM

44 posts, read 103,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
This attitude is very real. Just talking intelligently at all can get a person in trouble if in the wrong neighborhoods.

The attempt to get out of a bad environment is also looked down upon on many of our Indian reservations no different than in the black ghettos.

Congratulations to you PhilliesPhan. It's better to emulate Dr. Ben Carson than Kanye West.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
Umm... how do you measure success? And being right-wing doesn't make Carson a traitor, though I think his ideology is tragically flawed.
I didn't say that him being a right-wing makes him a traitor. If he was Democrat and had the same ideology I would think he is a traitor.

Last edited by gsw510; 08-06-2015 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Nope, I'm saying he is a traitor because he isn't very concerned at all about helping poor people, despite being from a similar background himself. Instead, he talks about how we should wage war on the Middle East. He also said that the Stand Your Ground Law is the best system we have when Trayvon Martin was killed.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:43 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,879 times
Quote:
Kanye West is more successful than Ben Carson too.
At what? Being obnoxious? Dating (and marrying) functionally retarded women? Wearing weird leather man dresses from the future? Being a loudmouth at awards shows? Not understanding when the joke's on him?

Old 08-06-2015, 09:43 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,042 times
Quote:
Nope, I'm saying he is a traitor because he isn't very concerned at all about helping poor people, despite being from a similar background himself. Instead, he talks about how we should wage war on the Middle East. He also said that the Stand Your Ground Law is the best system we have when Trayvon Martin was killed.
I don't know what Carson's concerns might be, what concerns me and why I don't find the extreme characterizations of Carson. et., al., is the when and the where of their pronouncements. In certain circumstances and before certain audiences I can and do make Carson sound like the worst bleeding heart liberal. The difference is, I direct such comments and observations to those who need to hear them. I don't make such comments or observations in before white conservative audiences, as we say, I keep it in the kitchen just 99.9% of African Americans of every political hue who actually gives a damn about the community. Unlike Carson, Sowell et.,al., I will not allow myself to be used as a tool for a conservative agenda even if the message is somewhat the same. It is not my place in life to give white conservatives an alibi, rationalization, or an excuse to shirk their responsibility for the persistence of racist policies.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,272 times
Default It's a shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/mediatakeou...3886776976603/

I usually DESPISE Mediatakeout, but this video really hits home for me.

I attended some of the worst public schools in Pennsylvania when I lived in the ghetto as a little kid. Between 2003-2009 (3rd-8th grade), I was bullied in this manner all because I was a black kid who wanted to get out of the ghetto. I "talked white", did my work, made honor roll 7 out of 9 times between 6th (when the program was started)-8th grade, made it into a gifted program, and graduated near the top of my middle school class. I got the hell out of my old school district and attended a private Catholic HS. I graduated in 2013 and am now a rising junior in college.

Why is success equated with "whiteness"? Why is academic passion/prowess looked down upon? Why do the underclass of black people try to drag those black men and women who are trying to succeed down by saying that they are less black? This attitude is why so many black people are where they are today. It has nothing to do with the white man or "oppression", but rather this attitude. When I attended Catholic HS, I was NEVER harassed for trying to succeed by my white peers. They treated me as an equal and I never had any problems.

The best revenge is success. Sure, the victim did give the thug bully a good a** kicking, but his future success will be the salt in the thug's wound. I love driving around the area I grew up in (I return because some family still lives there) and seeing those who bullied me either in jail or on the streets with nothing going for them. In the end, I won and they lost. While I am set towards becoming an actuary or financial analyst, all some of those former bullies will ever be are small-time drug dealers.
I couldn't hear what was said for most of the video to I'm taking your word that is what the fight was about. However, I did see the guy in the white t-shirt continuously try to avoid confrontation and deescalate the situation. I assume the one wearing the knit cap covering half his face was the perpetrator. Why did the school or library staff allow him to walk around wearing a knit cap covering any part of his face, begs to be answered. I noticed about 5 or more fellow onlookers with smiles on their faces just waiting for some "action" to happen. The moron in the knit cap was happy to perform in front of an audience, as usual. That is why the underclass Blacks try to pull down decent Blacks. It's because they have a receptive, supportive audience cheering them on. Work hard to become successful on your way up you will NOT have half the support and cheering that the losers get. It's messed up but that's currently how things are and will remain until low class Blacks are put in their place instead of being out front running things.

Strange that an adult White man came over after they started fighting and basically did nothing. He didn't even asked them to stop it or leave.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
At what? Being obnoxious? Dating (and marrying) functionally retarded women? Wearing weird leather man dresses from the future? Being a loudmouth at awards shows? Not understanding when the joke's on him?
Haha, I'm no Kanye West fan but when it comes to politics he's A LOT better than Ben Carson is. Are you defending Carson just because he is a surgeon? Look at the doctor and those other P.O.S.'s that killed the animals in Africa. Does their occupation justify their act and therefore guarantee that they are a good human being? HELL NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events