Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 PM

44 posts, read 103,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
It's better to help people personally than people "in general". His foundation is a one-on-one program via scholarships to individuals who demonstrate their motivation to get an education which, IMO, is a far more worthy way of helping people than doling out money or free food to people too lazy to work for it. Of all people, Dr. Carson knows that education is the ticket to a better life.

Dr. Carson wants to do away with the IRS and have a flat 10% tax rate. He has likened it to the Biblical tithing. He said this again last night in the Republican debate, giving the example that someone making $10 million is taxed $1 million and someone making $10 is taxed $1. He has repeatedly put this idea forth as a fair solution to the tax problem.

I have no idea if you are correct in saying that Dr. Carson said "rich people should be able to take advantage of tax loopholes" and I highly doubt that something like that would come from him, given that he wants a flat 10% tax rate for everyone. As for universal gun registration--that's the ticket to gun confiscation and Dr. Carson is a strong advocate for the Second Amendment.
Hey, I have no idea if you are correct in saying all of this either! All I know is that he's a terrible politician and even though I respect his education policies, he still sucks. Sorry

If you think donations go to people that are 'too lazy to work for it' then you sound like a spoiled rich person, considering that the hardest working people that I personally know are poor people, who are still poor, and will probably always be poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 01:58 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsw510 View Post
You expect liberals to despise successful Blacks? You sound like another conservative who accuses the liberals for everything, I'm not denying that he was a dedicated surgeon but there's no way of denying that his ideology is terrible. His background comes second to his political ideology. Does being a famous surgeon who separated two conjoined twins make him right for wanting to start war in the Middle East? Nope.
Why, yes, liberals absolutely do have very low expectations of African Americans. If they believed, like Dr. Carson, in self-reliance and personal responsibility, then all their government programs that perpetuate entitlement and dependence would be shut down.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
White people "accused" you of acting white, as in they disapproved of you for acting like them? I find that hard to believe.
They did. They were like "you don't act/talk/seem very black." They actively expect me to act like one of those characters on reality TV.

It is also quite common for certain white people to change their vernacular when talking to a black person.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:53 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Why, yes, liberals absolutely do have very low expectations of African Americans.
Gee that's funny, I am an African American, liberal and registered Democrat. I don't have a single low expectation of myself.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:08 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Gee that's funny, I am an African American, liberal and registered Democrat. I don't have a single low expectation of myself.
Well, that's a good thing

Old 08-07-2015, 03:15 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
They did. They were like "you don't act/talk/seem very black." They actively expect me to act like one of those characters on reality TV.

It is also quite common for certain white people to change their vernacular when talking to a black person.
I have been in heavily white-dominated spheres (in which I was consistently "the first" or "the only" black) since the early 70s until now and I've never, ever had a white person comment to me that I didn't "act/talk/seem" black.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:22 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Ben Carson isn't "just a surgeon". He's an eminent pediatric surgeon who pioneered the surgical separation of conjoined twins. He's known all over the world for his professional accomplishments. On top of that, he was born into an impoverished, fatherless family and worked his way up against tremendous odds.

It's unfathomable to me that some people put him down for his conservative beliefs. I expect liberals to despise successful Blacks but this is beyond reason.
Would you let Ben Carson date your sister if he was not a doctor and worked at Chuckle Cheese?

Old 08-07-2015, 04:00 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I have been in heavily white-dominated spheres (in which I was consistently "the first" or "the only" black) since the early 70s until now and I've never, ever had a white person comment to me that I didn't "act/talk/seem" black.
Most folks are too smart to be so stupid. Now what I've always have gotten is, "You must not be from here, you are so articulate and well spoken....blah, blah." Usually accompanied by a look of utter astonishment.

I was once accused by one co-worker of being an angry black man because I would occasionally code speak just for S&G's. It was said, that despite my "prestigious education, I would say things like Yo and Whazup" as indications of my "anger." I should have thrown in a couple of MF's had I know aforehand.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:43 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
OP glad you got your life together and shame for this happening. This thug actually is an insult to blacks, essentially equating being successful, talking and acting properly as only being traits suited for white people. So this thug is indirectly advocating for blacks to act ghetto, that is how they a real black person acts.

He is a stupid thug, what do you expect?

Blacks act differently, not in one fashion, same with whites.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:50 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsw510 View Post
Hey, I have no idea if you are correct in saying all of this either! All I know is that he's a terrible politician and even though I respect his education policies, he still sucks. Sorry

If you think donations go to people that are 'too lazy to work for it' then you sound like a spoiled rich person, considering that the hardest working people that I personally know are poor people, who are still poor, and will probably always be poor.
LOL. I would bet the farm there are no "spoiled rich people" here on CD. They have better things to do than hang around with us po' folk. For the record I am 80 years old and was in the working world as a nurse for 40+ years. No rich b-itch here--just a retiree living on Social Security. Never had a dime of welfare in my life although I came from very humble beginnings. I went to school, got an education and was able to support myself throughout my adulthood.

I follow politics and yes, I am correct in what I say about Ben Carson and if you care to research it for yourself, you will find I am correct.

And yes, I do think that a lot of welfare benefit money is wasted on people too lazy to work. I've known--and still know--such people.

We agree on one thing-----Ben Carson is not a good politician. He has far too much character to ever be successful in that sleazy world. Nevertheless, I would not mind seeing him in a cabinet position--maybe Surgeon General.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events